Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2016, 08:50 PM

26,721 posts, read 22,285,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I don't know. ALDI is a basic, kind of cheap/crappy store in Germany, so I don't see why I visit it in the U.S. I have Whole Foods and other nicer grocers in my neighborhood.
Judging by some of the products I bought there before, I'll take it as "cheap/crappy store" as it is.
As I've said earlier the problem is - German products are not there any longer for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 01:21 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,421,262 times
Quote:
ALDI is all over the U.S. now.
Not quite yet... the East and Midwest and Los Angeles Area seems to be about it for now...

Nothing in Northern CA, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Idaho, etc...

Old 04-30-2016, 01:33 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,318,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
The same opinion is quite often expressed by the *middle class* Russians ( from what I can see on FB and other sites,) except for any referrals to Christianity ( but then again Church and Christianity in Russia is a whole different matter.)

P.S. I would be interested to read your posts in the "Religion" section. Although normally I don't go there, I might do a search)))
Here you go:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=23263761

I don't know how deep you are in Christian eschatology, but it might surprise you, that those who reject the doctrine of everllasting hell are the most conservative Christians (at least in Germany as far as I can tell), this includes Jehova Witnesses to a certain degree, but we are going far off topic.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:12 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,823,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
Your statement is internally contradictory. If, as you say, the term "weltburger" is unheard of in Germany and Germans don't think about it, how would you know that German attitudes are similar or different from others?
The poll suggests German attitudes are different. Why would you disagree? Do you have evidence to support your contention?

I haven't been to Germany for over twenty years. I'll be there briefly in July. Last time i was there I had trouble at the gas station paying for a fill up with a credit card. I hope Germany has since caught up with the rest of the world in that regard. Germany was certainly different from the rest of the developed world in that respect.
Not quite. In ALDI or Penny for example, you still can't pay with a debit or credit card. Petrol stations shouldn't be a problem tough.

Old 04-30-2016, 05:20 AM

4,499 posts, read 6,311,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuuKulgur View Post
Not quite. In ALDI or Penny for example, you still can't pay with a debit or credit card. Petrol stations shouldn't be a problem tough.
You can't pay with a debit card at Aldi? That's surprising me. Especially since you can do so at Hofer in Austria.

Old 04-30-2016, 06:21 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,106,899 times
Quote:
Your statement is internally contradictory. If, as you say, the term "weltburger" is unheard of in Germany and Germans don't think about it, how would you know that German attitudes are similar or different from others?
The poll suggests German attitudes are different. Why would you disagree? Do you have evidence to support your contention?
Because I live in Germany for 43 years now, so I think I can say that I know how Germans tick. I find this poll very strange. Is it even possible to make representative surveys in countries like Nigeria, Ghana or Kenya? What specific question they have asked? And how they have translated it into German? For me it seems nearly impossible to find a meaningful translation for this question into German. "Do you feel like a global citizen?" = "Fühlen Sie sich als Weltbürger?" That sounds pretty strange for Germans. If they had asked "Fühlen Sie sich als Bürger dieser Welt?" The answers would be completely different. But we don't know what they have asked.

In the video they ask "So, what is 'Global citizenship' anyway?" "For some, it signifies ease of communication, and an awareness of global issues." Awareness of global issues is very well-marked among Germans. People in Germany seem to be more interested in what's going on in the world than people from most other countries. Germans travel a lot. Most Germans don't have a strong sense of national identity. It seems entirely absurd that most Germans see themselves not as a citizen of this world.

When people in China feel so overwhelmingly as "global citizen" why they act so nationalistically? Why they act so irresponsible? When they allegedly think so globally, why they don't care more about the environment?
It's more important to act in a responsible manner to save our world, instead of just claiming to be a "global citizen". For me it's a joke when Chinese consider themselves as "global citizens".

Quote:
I haven't been to Germany for over twenty years. I'll be there briefly in July. Last time i was there I had trouble at the gas station paying for a fill up with a credit card. I hope Germany has since caught up with the rest of the world in that regard. Germany was certainly different from the rest of the developed world in that respect.
You doesn't seem to know Germans very well Germans are well known for their love for paying cash. For many of us cash is an expression of freedom and privacy. Many people don't want that strange data kraken know everything about them. Many people don't want to pay for greedy credit card companies. They make billions by offering redundant services. More and more people in Germany are afraid that some economists want to abolish cash. Paying cash is an important foundation of every day freedom.
Today it's not a problem to pay with a credit card at a gas station or in a supermarket. But not so many Germans do it, but the number is rising. It has nothing to do with "developed world". The development goes clearly in the wrong direction. It's not very smart to pay with credit cards.

Old 04-30-2016, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
You can't pay with a debit card at Aldi? That's surprising me. Especially since you can do so at Hofer in Austria.
Since 2002 you can pay with a debit card at Aldi. Since a few month you can also pay with a credit card. The assertion of KuuKulgur is absurd.

Old 04-30-2016, 06:37 AM

Quote:
You seem capable of easily dismissing the poll as retarded, but incapapable of articulating why you think so, which leaves me wondering who is...........

Poll was conducted by Globescan They have a solid reputation with both non-profits and MNC's and count German companies, BMW, Siemens and VW among their clients. Pardon me if I opt for their collective wisdom over your.............

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GlobeScan

The PISA studies are conducted by the OECD. But even this huge organization is unable to translate the questions properly into different languages. The whole PISA studies are entirely crap, but there are still people that trust those studies.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:02 AM

Quote:
I don't know. ALDI is a basic, kind of cheap/crappy store in Germany, so I don't see why I visit it in the U.S. I have Whole Foods and other nicer grocers in my neighborhood.

Cheap yes, but surely not crappy. Yes, the appearance of the stores are less appealing, but I wouldn't call it crappy. When you don't care what you pay for your groceries, than Whole Foods is a nice store.
I personally like to go to Edeka, it's nice and beautiful. But when I want the same quality that I get at Aldi, I have to buy overpriced name brand products. Then I easily feel rip-offed. I could buy the Edeka store brand products for the same price I get at Aldi, but then I have to sacrifice in quality. t's getting worse when I see how incapable some of the employees at Edeka or especially Rewe are, they are also not very well paid. So I normally just buy a few name brand products that I really prefer over store brands, but only when they are on sale
The worst thing for me at Aldi is the appearance of the produce section, it looks really terrible. In the last couple of years Aldi seems to lose market share in Germany. Edeka or Rewe stores are soooo much nicer now, I can understand when more and more people switch to these stores. And Lidl is improving much faster than Aldi. At the moment Aldi seems a little bit clueless how to stop the decline.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:33 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,823,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
Since 2002 you can pay with a debit card at Aldi. Since a few month you can also pay with a credit card. The assertion of KuuKulgur is absurd.
No you can't, at least not in Bremen, they only accepted EC-Karte. That was 1,5 years ago, maybe they changed it since this year. 2002 is an absurd joke and you know it.

Seems like they just recently started accepting other cards than EC:
Aldi, Lidl, Kaufland und Co.: Hier können Sie mit Kreditkarte zahlen - N24.de
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe