Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2016, 02:05 PM

985 posts, read 1,853,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
i'll give you one reason, its called..........WW1 and WW2!!!!
Sorry, but this is complete rubbish. No German dislikes America for that reason. The main reasons are politics, especially America' foreign policy, unnecessary wars, meddling in other countries ' affairs, spying on every body, and yes, for some of us, using Germany as a base to attack other countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 02:38 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
Sorry, but this is complete rubbish. No German dislikes America for that reason. The main reasons are politics, especially America' foreign policy, unnecessary wars, meddling in other countries ' affairs, spying on every body, and yes, for some of us, using Germany as a base to attack other countries.
Well this is stupid too. If any Americans dislike Germany because of WW1 and WW2, that's idiotic.

But if Germans dislike Americans for the reasons you list, that's probably equally idiotic. Germany and the U.S. are allies with very similar foreign policy over the last 60 years. Germany is an eager partner and beneficiary in American interventions throughout the globe.

Also "meddling in other countries affairs"? LOL. Germany's entire economic, political and social system is based on such policies. Germany is at the center of Europe, and easily the strongest country within the EU.

Unless Germany abandons the EU and the Euro, and rejects its export economy it is ridiculously hypocritical to challenge other countries on their lack of isolationism.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:36 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,175,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
Were WWI and WWII necessary wars? Isn't an attempt to take over the world by force considered 'meddling in other countries' affairs? Germany did that..not long ago. In my book that's a lot worse than what America has done past 50 yrs.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:38 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Germany is responsible for the worst wars in human history, WWII(and WWI). Brink of destruction? What, are you 12? Go read some history and then say the US is destructive with wars of aggression. Of course if it wasn't for the US, you'd be speaking German now.
What, are you 12? Newsflash, the war is over. Also newsflash - tons of Americans are of German heritage.

Go read your own history where people bring slaves to the country and to THIS DAY racism is all over the place. THis country has the highest amount of prisoners per population so go read your own news before you bash Germans who have NOTHING to do with WWI or II. 90% of all the Germans who are alive now were born AFTER the war, how much longer do you want to rub it in their faces. What should they do, time travel and make it UNHAPPEN? Then travel back in time and make 245 years of slavery in the US unhappen.

BTW, there were Japanese concentration camps in the US also, go ask some Japanese people what they think of it. The US is not one bit better, but go ahead, keep talking...

Japanese Americans in Concentration Camps
http://classes.maxwell.syr.edu/soc24...eseIntern.html
"Our people were forced into concentration camps and their lives where ripped away from them. We were the detained in assembly centers, in large numbers, and later transported under guard to barbed-wire concentration camps.
Our businesses had to be sold quickly and at a loss. The only crime that we ever did was to be perceived by whites as racially different. We faced many different forms of racial oppression behind the barbwire.
We were forced to live in these small barracks with hundreds of other people. The living quarters were extremely tight, with people basically sleeping on top of us. We had to eat and sleep when they told us to, and of course the food was barely edible. We were restricted to these tiny perimeters in the camp, surrounded by armed military personnel. Many of the camps that we lived in were located in cold areas, where we would freeze and be surrounded by extreme amounts of dust. "

Last edited by oh-eve; 05-03-2016 at 03:52 PM..

Old 05-03-2016, 04:17 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Harold View Post
The world isn't worrying too much about a German/Russian alliance or even Russians with some German equipment.
"The world" and "the US" are not one and the same thing, even though SOME Americans have tendency to confuse those two.

Quote:
Russians are smart and capable but like all Orthodox cultures they are lazy and literally hate doing work.
Yes, and for a good reason. Unlike Americans ( we are talking about specifically Americans in this case) the majority of Russians do not see the "fruit of their labor" so to speak, it usually ends up somewhere else, so often their laziness is quite justified.

Quote:
Work is equivalent to slavery in a Russian's mind.
See above.

Quote:
That is why everything that ever needed to get done in Russia was done by Jews and Asians.
That's a myth. Russians always worked side by side with Jews in intellectual field, but when it comes to physical labor - you'd see Russians pulling their weight there far more often.
As for the Asians - that's a recent phenomena, and a bad one a that, which Russians are NOT happy about at all. The "wonderful system" of neo-liberal capitalism inflicted upon Russians by their American *friends* back in the nineties brought this phenomena. In the same manner as "big business* in the USA loved so much to use cheap labor of Mexican migrants, Russian neo-liberals on the top loved this idea, and decided to use migrant Tadjiks as equivalent. Which brings the salaries for ethnic Russians down, as much as the quality of construction work across the line. In fact a lot of resistance and protests in Russia involve precisely this topic.

Quote:
Germans are pretty much the exact opposite mindset. They are the living embodiment of the protestant work ethic.
Yet at the same time, strangely enough their nation didn't turn into the money-making machine, where everyone and everything is subjected to bringing the most profits to the top 1% of their population, as it is in the good ole US.

Last edited by erasure; 05-03-2016 at 05:16 PM..

Old 05-03-2016, 07:16 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Germany has more Catholics than Protestants, and has some of the lowest annual hours worked of any first-world nation. Not sure why it's the poster child for "protestant work ethic".

Old 05-03-2016, 09:24 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,428,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
"The world" and "the US" are not one and the same thing, even though SOME Americans have tendency to confuse those two.

Yes, and for a good reason. Unlike Americans ( we are talking about specifically Americans in this case) the majority of Russians do not see the "fruit of their labor" so to speak, it usually ends up somewhere else, so often their laziness is quite justified.

See above.

That's a myth. Russians always worked side by side with Jews in intellectual field, but when it comes to physical labor - you'd see Russians pulling their weight there far more often.
As for the Asians - that's a recent phenomena, and a bad one a that, which Russians are NOT happy about at all. The "wonderful system" of neo-liberal capitalism inflicted upon Russians by their American *friends* back in the nineties brought this phenomena. In the same manner as "big business* in the USA loved so much to use cheap labor of Mexican migrants, Russian neo-liberals on the top loved this idea, and decided to use migrant Tadjiks as equivalent. Which brings the salaries for ethnic Russians down, as much as the quality of construction work across the line. In fact a lot of resistance and protests in Russia involve precisely this topic.

Yet at the same time, strangely enough their nation didn't turn into the money-making machine, where everyone and everything is subjected to bringing the most profits to the top 1% of their population, as it is in the good ole US.
your mindset needs changing

Old 05-04-2016, 12:19 AM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
your mindset needs changing
Yeah, that's what KGB told me once too...

Old 05-04-2016, 06:55 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Yeah, that's what KGB told me once too...
Were they successful?

But if they were, you wouldn't realize it or you wouldn't tell anyone. All we now know from what you've said is that you've been handled by the KGB.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:39 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,115,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Are people in this thread daft?

Where in the U.S. are groceries even 2x the price of groceries in Germany? Yet you agree with drro that groceries cost 5x more in the U.S., on average? Huh?

You could shop in the fanciest Manhattan grocery stores, and an apple still won't cost 5x that of the most grim fruit stand in rural Eastern Germany.

I think it's fair to say that C-D threads will always have contrarians, no matter how silly the point. If I claimed Mars was made out of swiss cheese I'm sure I would get some support.

I would never say that the grocery prices in the U.S. are on average 2X the average prices in Germany. But it's very easy to get this impression. More than half of all grocery stores in Germany are discount stores (Aldi, Lidl, Netto, Penny, Norma). They offer mostly store brand products and only a few name brands. That leads to the perception that grocery prices in Germany are significant lower than in the U.S. In the U.S. the amount of discount stores and the percentage of store brands is much lower.

If one compares similar store brand products in both countries, then the grocery prices in Germany are significant lower. That's not surprising given the current exchange rate. It would be extremely difficult to compare the prices of American national brands, that can be found in the U.S. to the prices of German national brands, that can be found in Germany. For example store brand cereals like corn flakes are cheaper in Germany, but what about cereals from Kellogs (typical American brand) or Nestlé? I don't know.

But I know for example that frozen pizza from Wagner (Nestlé brand) is much cheaper in Germany than a similar frozen pizza from DiGiorno (also a Nestlé brand) in the U.S.

What about the prices of meat and sausages at the service counters in supermarkets? I have no idea.

It's extremely difficult to compare the food prices in different countries. What kind of grocery stores are compared? What kind of food products do you want to compare? Basic food vs. fancy food, store brands vs. name brands?

Edeka is the largest supermarket chain in Germany, but an Edeka store is not really comparable to a Walmart store. At least here in Düsseldorf, Edeka stores are pretty upscale, maybe more like a mix out of Publix and Wegmans.

When I use the link for Walmart, they show me an offer for Great Value canola oil, 48 oz for $2.28. The price was reduced from $2.82. That translates to $1.61 per liter (prior $1.99 per liter). 1 liter store brand canola oil cost at Edeka always €0.99 (same price like Aldi). That means that the bargain price at Walmart is still 41% higher than the regular price at Edeka.
There is also an offer for a 5lb bag of Gold Medal all purpose flour at Walmart. Price: $2.61. That translates to $1.15 per kg. 1kg store brand flour at Edeka cost $0.35. That's just a little bit more than 1/3 of the price at Walmart. But as far as I know Gold Medal is an American national brand, so the prices aren't comparable. The best known name brand flour in Germany is probably Diamant Mehl. I'm not entirely sure, but I think a 1kg bag cost normally €0.69. At the moment it's on sale for €0.49 at Edeka. That means that the price for name brand flour at Walmart is about 46% higher than the regular price for name brand flour at Edeka or about 105% higher than the actual bargain price at Edeka.
Basic products at Edeka are overall distinctly cheaper than basic products at Walmart. Because the prices for basic products at Edeka and Aldi are identical.
But what about fancy meat from the service counter or the produce department? I don't know.

I wouldn't bet that apples in a fancy grocery store in Manhattan aren't 5x what they cost in Germany. Most of the time a 2kg bag of apples for €1.49 or even less (depends on the season) are pretty common in Germany. That means about €0.34 or $0.39 per lb. I wouldn't be surprised when similar apples cost at least $1.99 per lb at a fancy grocery store in Manhattan. Apples are generally relative expensive in the U.S.

Browsing the actual weekly flyer from Kroger: 2 ball peppers for $3 or Kroger natural cheese slices, 6oz (170g) for $2, but only when you have a Kroger card and buy two packages That's $1.18 per 100g. Most varieties of natural cheese slices cost between €0.40 and €0.50 per 100g in Germany. And those buy 4 and save 4 bucks offers doesn't look great either. But it's mostly difficult to compare those offers, because I can't evaluate the quality of those name brand products.

Judging the prices from Kroger or Publix flyers it's not difficult to get the impression that grocery prices in the U.S. are 2x what they are in Germany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe