Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 03:58 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
And i want to say houses are not good in Italy.

Especially in Sicily.

These are not nice you know.

Very small even though they have good lot size.

Equipment is not modern either.

Italy could use a housing reform to set higher standards.
Most of the houses I have seen in Southern Italy were huge to me... like even the bathrooms were bigger than my living room here.

As for equipment, in my experience people are very well equipped with everything.

The problem is more the public infrastructure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 04:05 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Most of the houses I have seen in Southern Italy were huge to me... like even the bathrooms were bigger than my living room here.

As for equipment, in my experience people are very well equipped with everything.

The problem is more the public infrastructure.
Yeah.

Syracuse looks nice, houses with big gardens.

But they probably require a good deal of maintenance.

Prices are high as well.

I hope they go down.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:39 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian (x)lurker View Post
but I very like Italy has more miles of coast, we're surrounded by the sea and that's a big plus. While in many parts of Spanish interior you feel isolated from everywhere.

I don't see why being close to the ocean makes a place less isolated.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:59 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
I wish there were more isolated areas in Italy honestly.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:01 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Spain seems like it has a slight edge when it comes to infrastructure and corruption seems to be reduced compared to italy. I much prefer spending time in Spain over Italy.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:27 AM

1 posts, read 3,287 times
Isn't that argument that Spain has newer infrastructure a bit tired? I mean, there are plenty countries in Europe that have old infrastructure but nicely kept and mantained (thinking of Germany right now). In the case of Italy I would call it simply negligence, miss management and corruption. And then its not like Spain didn't have any before the 90's, there are plenty of old structures as well, but are in general well kept.
On the other hand Spain is just better managed than italy, and the rest of the southern european countries for that matter, and you just realize that as soon as you set foot in both countries. The country is cleaner, the cities better kept, public services are efficient, public transport generally runs on time, etc.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:30 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,115,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
And i want to say houses are not good in Italy.

Especially in Sicily.

These are not nice you know.

Very small even though they have good lot size.

Equipment is not modern either.

Italy could use a housing reform to set higher standards.

Compared to the U.S. houses in Italy are indeed small, that's not surprising. But from what I have seen in Italy kitchens and domestic appliances are definitely more modern and more technological advanced than in the U.S.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:39 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,115,769 times
The infrastructure in Spain is now more modern than in Italy. But that came with a price. The overall net debt of Spain (governmental, private households, corporations) towards foreign countries is now at 90.5% of GDP. In Italy it's 27.7%. Spain has lived beyond their means for many many years. It will take a long time to reduce this amount of debt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_in...tment_position

Old 04-19-2016, 01:40 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,814,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I wish there were more isolated areas in Italy honestly.
There are, just go to Molise, Sardinia, Basilicata, Calabria, Abruzzo, Irpinia. The Southern Appennine ridges are really scarcely populated, all you see is a village, many of whom almost empty by now, every ten kilometer. There are larger cities of course but they are few and far in between (L'Aquila, Avezzano, Campobasso, Avellino, Benevento, Potenza, Cosenza and Catanzaro). At the same time though, fifty or sixty kilometers are all it takes you to bring you in a densely populated area

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
Compared to the U.S. houses in Italy are indeed small, that's not surprising. But from what I have seen in Italy kitchens and domestic appliances are definitely more modern and more technological advanced than in the U.S.
Are they? This surprises me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloysius1 View Post
Isn't that argument that Spain has newer infrastructure a bit tired? I mean, there are plenty countries in Europe that have old infrastructure but nicely kept and mantained (thinking of Germany right now). In the case of Italy I would call it simply negligence, miss management and corruption. And then its not like Spain didn't have any before the 90's, there are plenty of old structures as well, but are in general well kept.
On the other hand Spain is just better managed than italy, and the rest of the southern european countries for that matter, and you just realize that as soon as you set foot in both countries. The country is cleaner, the cities better kept, public services are efficient, public transport generally runs on time, etc.
I have to agree with what you said. We'll have to see if the next few government can curb corruption, in the last few years there's been a slow but steady improvements in the various rankings. Anyway, i still struggle to believe that the governments of Mauritius, Rwanda, Seychelles, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain are supposed to have a more functional system than ours (according to the Corruption Perceived Index). It may be ethnocentrism but it leaves a bit shocked

Last edited by improb; 04-19-2016 at 01:53 PM..

Old 04-20-2016, 05:12 AM

957 posts, read 1,132,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I don't see why being close to the ocean makes a place less isolated.
Toledo, Avila, Salamanca, Valladolid, etc the same Madrid, are not close to the ocean nor any sea, they are hundred of miles distant, in Italy this never happens...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe