Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 12:45 PM

124 posts, read 93,781 times

Advertisements

it's not that easy. almost every backwater north of the arctic circle (and i know this from relatives) tries to attract tourists. there's competition, just as in the med-region. the nature and infrastructure in murmansk can't hold a candle compared to say tromsö.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 01:01 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,813,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I have a Russian friends who went there for skiing and she wasn't impressed at all by the place. The vast majority of Russians who can afford to travel go to other countries.

And Russia doesn't exactly have the laxest visa regime or the best tourism infrastructure.
Shame because the nearby Khibiny Mountains could be an excellent spot for skiing with a high plateau reaching as high as 1100 meters quickly jumping to the Imandra Lake who lays 900 meters below, that's enough to have a brilliant skiing station who could operate 8 months a year. Practical for Western Europeans? Maybe not but for citizens of the old CIS bloc? I think it could be

Khibiny Mountains in Summer:

And winter:

Old 04-22-2016, 01:07 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Yes, Russia does have a first class service option but it still costs a fortune like it would anywhere else. What Russia seems to struggle with is decent middle class travel. Of course, the ruble situation helps tourists but it's still hard to find many decent hotel options outside Moscow and St. Petersburg. Moderately priced tours can also be relatively underwhelming or amateurish. And friendly, attentive service is something many places apparently have yet to figure out.

Visas are a big deal when you have an option to chose a destination that doesn't require one.

Russia could go a long way in improving it's image by promoting more cultural exchange. There are a lot of great things about Russian culture but they are overshadowed by politics. Russian is still seen by many(and for valid reasons) as intent on dominating Europe, or at least the smaller border countries. They need to reconsider their cultural outposts along the lines of Goethe Centers. Russian culture is as rich and deep as any other yet is cursed by some very negative stereotypes. There are plenty of examples to counteract them yet it's as if they pretend they don't exist.

I don't see Russia pulling many tourists away from Noway, Canada, or the US. Most of their numbers would most likely come from within. These are industrial ports and definitely not the first thing that comes to mind when you think Arctic adventure.
Well, the article was more about visiting the islands off the coast, similar to Norway's planned Svalbard tours. Those ports would only be short daytime shore-leave things, like the Alaska cruises that visit Glacier Bay and cruise through the Inside Passage, with small-town/village stops.

But I like the way you think. I like the Goethe Institute concept, or Alliance Francaise, but frankly, I see 2nd or 3-rd generation emigres in the West being more enthusiastic about initiating something like that, than Russians themselves--some of them, anyway. There could be a tendency to come off as propagandistic, otherwise. Though the kind of emigre's kids that would be up for that and would do a good job are a passing breed. But yes, great idea.

Maybe there aren't many middle-class or student-class hotel options in Moscow and St. Pete's because it's so expensive there, but there certainly are in locations that are off the beaten track, like the cities in the Baikal region; there are dorm-style accommodations, B & B's, and such. There are a few B & B's in Moscow, too.

"Friendly, attentive service"--haha. *sigh* The ethic of "the state pretends to pay us, so we pretend to work" still holds strong. Even so, there can be occasional pleasant surprises. It all depends on the individual. When there's more private enterprise in the tourism business, then we'll see friendly, helpful service.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Yes, Russia does have a first class service option but it still costs a fortune like it would anywhere else.

I don't see Russia pulling many tourists away from Noway, Canada, or the US. Most of their numbers would most likely come from within. These are industrial ports and definitely not the first thing that comes to mind when you think Arctic adventure.
True, on the first paragraph; they've always milked it, though if you consider what that level of service would cost in Germany or Switzerland, Russia's still cheaper. And I don't think the Russia arctic tourism would be aimed at taking tourists away from Norway or Alaska. I think it could appeal to those interested in something more exotic than Norway or Alaska, and depending on the pricing, it could be a good budget-level option to people wanting to see the Arctic. It could appeal to young people and retirees, who couldn't afford a Norwegian or Alaskan cruise, but could afford an Aeroflot flight to Russia, with a connection to Arkhangelsk, or wherever, and a lower-cost cruise. It could also appeal to people who have already done Norway or Alaska, and want something different.

I keep wondering, as we discuss this, if the Russian Ministry of Tourism is reading our thread, lol.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Shame because the nearby Khibiny Mountains could be an excellent spot for skiing with a high plateau reaching as high as 1100 meters quickly jumping to the Imandra Lake who lays 900 meters below, that's enough to have a brilliant skiing station who could operate 8 months a year. Practical for Western Europeans? Maybe not but for citizens of the old CIS bloc? I think it could be

Khibiny Mountains in Summer:

And winter:
Bravo! Thanks for the pics. Oh, and btw, how's the mosquito situation in summer? Why doesn't Norway have mosquitos? Neither does coastal Alaska. I suppose it has to do with coastal locations, vs. inland locations? Or population centers of whatever size vs. the tundra?

Old 04-22-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Bravo! Thanks for the pics. Oh, and btw, how's the mosquito situation in summer? Why doesn't Norway have mosquitos? Neither does coastal Alaska. I suppose it has to do with coastal locations, vs. inland locations? Or population centers of whatever size vs. the tundra?
I don't know how it is since i don't live there but i'm deeply fascinated by the former URSS. I think there should be several come summer because most of the area is flat or rolling and once the ice melts the flatter areas turn into ponds and marshes which are welcoming to mosquitoes. The high presence of bodies of water and the humid climate are probably the main reason.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
I don't know how it is since i don't live there but i'm deeply fascinated by the former URSS. I think there should be several come summer because most of the area is flat or rolling and once the ice melts the flatter areas turn into ponds and marshes which are welcoming to mosquitoes. The high presence of bodies of water and the humid climate are probably the main reason.
Oh, you sounded like you knew the area. Where do you live? If you're living in the western half of North America, I'd strongly recommend a visit to Kamchatka. There are flights from Anchorage in the summers. It's only a 3-hr. hop, or less; it really is right next door. Amazing. And the city, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatski, looks more like Ketchikan, AK, than the former USSR. Seriously. Very popular with the Icelandic fishermen.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Oh, you sounded like you knew the area. Where do you live? If you're living in the western half of North America, I'd strongly recommend a visit to Kamchatka. There are flights from Anchorage in the summers. It's only a 3-hr. hop, or less; it really is right next door. Amazing. And the city, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatski, looks more like Ketchikan, AK, than the former USSR. Seriously. Very popular with the Icelandic fishermen.
Southern Italy. I didn't know the area, just had a very quick look at a relief map of the area and it came out to be more mountainous than it is and from satellite and relief maps it looked a brilliant area for skiing despite the mountains being bald (a mountain lined up with trees is always more exciting to ski on)

Last edited by improb; 04-22-2016 at 02:19 PM..

Old 04-22-2016, 02:12 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,181,810 times
Quote:
No mosquitos in Norway? I assume you have not visited inland Norway?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJz-Hs_spDw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItDPcCiMR_o

Old 04-22-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
No mosquitos in Norway? I assume you have not visited inland Norway?
Thanks. Yes, I have, but I didn't get out into the tundra, though I did hike up onto the plateau, once. I was on a fjord in a little village, or in town in Kautokeino, or on the main highway going through there. No mosquitos, certainly not the huge, thick clouds of them you have out in nature in Siberia and the Far East. No mosquitos encountered while walking around the village or from farm to farm in the north, or around town in Kautokeino, or even in Maasi, which was a lot more rural. No mosquito netting on the house windows, or anything like that. Is the mosquito season more limited there, vs. all summer and into fall, as in Russia? (This may sound like a dumb question, but it's based on my experience.)

Anyway, I doubt mosquitos are a big problem in Murmansk or Archangelsk, and probably not on frozen islands similar to Svalbard, which would be the object of the tours. What I'm wondering is if there would be mosquitos on some of the other islands in the area covered in the proposal. That wouldn't be hospitable to tourists. Well, and in areas like Imandra Lake, promoted by poster "improb".

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-22-2016 at 02:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe