Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 11:29 AM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times

Advertisements

yeah, I was referring to him, not to the people of course. Still, every once in a while someone in England or in the US trolls the French about that and the French newspapers react strongly, as expected.

Thinking of a language as "useful" speaks volumes about someone's interest in culture anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 11:44 AM

820 posts, read 953,491 times
It is very difficult for a French person to understand a foreigner speaking in French. I have rarely understand what tourists were saying when speaking in French except "Bonjour". Therefore I ask them to speak in English.
If you speak French with a French who don't speak English, he will be condescending...He doesn't know what to do or say.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:55 AM

820 posts, read 953,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I refuse to speak the French language, the only French words that i use are a la, bonjour, bon appetit, boulevard, bureau, bouquet, cafe, croissant, chef, deja vu, entree, entrepreneur, merci, parkour, madame, mousse, omelette and voyeur.

Not keeping being tolerant to the intolerant, already did that enough in my life and almost each time it costed me something.
You also often say, like most Brits, :
A la carte
Au contraire
Au gratin : « Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes«
Au jus
Au pair
Ballet
Bizarre
Blasé
Bon appétit
Bouquet
Boutique
C’est la vie
Café
Cognac
Cul-de-sac
Deja vu
Faux « Faux fur coat » « faux pas »
Femme fatale
Finale
Hors d’œuvres
Je ne sais quoi: She has a certain je ne sais quoi about her
Mardi gras ~ le carnaval
Ménage à trois
Petit/Petite
Rendez-vous
RSVP
« Voulez-vous coucher avec moi ce soir"
"quelle surprise"
A la mode : « pie a la mode ».
Entrée
Venue « wedding venue »
« bons vivants » « l'embonpoint »
« vinaigrette », « à la carte», « amuse-bouche», « au gratin», « apéritif», « bon appétit », « brioche », « croissant », « crème brûlée », « entremets », « mousse » « digestif »...
« chic » « chignon », « coquette », « déshabillé », « décolleté », « lamé », « prêt-à-porter » « couturier » « Beaux-arts », « avant-garde », « chef d'œuvre » « trompe-l'oeil » « comme il faut » « faux pas » « Petit bourgeois », « enfant terrible » « bric-à-brac »
« coup de foudre » « femme fatale » « billet doux » « fiancée »
« c'est la vie », « petit bourgeois », « enfant terrible », « beau geste », « bric-à-brac », « ça ne fait rien », « carte blanche », « grand guignol », « je ne sais quoi » « mauvais quart d'heure » « volte-face »

You probably can't imagine how much Britons use French words.

Brits say it all the time!

Old 04-26-2016, 12:00 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroW View Post
It is very difficult for a French person to understand a foreigner speaking in French. I have rarely understand what tourists were saying when speaking in French except "Bonjour". Therefore I ask them to speak in English.
If you speak French with a French who don't speak English, he will be condescending...He doesn't know what to do or say.
lol! Well, at least they tried. Their hearts were in the right place, even if their tongues were clumsy.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:07 PM

401 posts, read 649,481 times
I'm French and I find most tourists rude when they visit our country, most of the time they just ask for stuff right off the bat, they don't care if English is not your first language. I answer them because my English is good but it annoys me. If they say Bonjour, Excusez-moi, parlez-vous anglais ? and then switch to English it's fine but most don't do that. Imposing your English on French people in France is irritating and irritated people are not always kind. A lot of French people speak very bad English and many will not be bothered to speak the language of our long time enemy (who are still busy bashing our country every week or so in their newspapers) in their own country

Old 04-26-2016, 12:25 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
I'm French and I find most tourists rude when they visit our country, most of the time they just ask for stuff right off the bat, they don't care if English is not your first language. I answer them because my English is good but it annoys me. If they say Bonjour, Excusez-moi, parlez-vous anglais ? and then switch to English it's fine but most don't do that. Imposing your English on French people in France is irritating and irritated people are not always kind. A lot of French people speak very bad English and many will not be bothered to speak the language of our long time enemy (who are still busy bashing our country every week or so in their newspapers) in their own country
Hey, don't blame us for George Bush! You're aware that he stole both elections, aren't you? We didn't elect him.

Old 04-26-2016, 02:31 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Hey, don't blame us for George Bush! You're aware that he stole both elections, aren't you? We didn't elect him.
Was he talking about the US? I got the impression he was talking about the UK. I haven't seen weekly (or any) France bashing articles in the US.

Old 04-26-2016, 02:54 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
British Writer and Broadcaster Jeremy Paxman was recently very critical of the French Language. His criticism of the language made the British papers, although personally I have never had a problem with the French or their launguage. I have always found the French to be pleasant and polite, and was surprised by Paxman't article in the Financial Times.

Jeremy Paxman savages the French: 'The language is useless and their achievements are long past'

Jeremy Paxman attacks French as 'useless' - but French speakers fight back | People | News | The Independent

Jeremy Paxman: French is a useless language and their achievements are 'long past' | UK | News | London Evening Standard

Jeremy Paxman savages the French saying their language is 'useless' | Daily Mail Online
does this Mr Paxman speak any language other than his native tongue?

If not, he should shut up. In today's world, not speaking a second language is equivalent to being illiterate.

Old 04-26-2016, 02:56 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
I think you guys should continue pretending not understand English at all when encountering such rude tourists. These people don't deserve anything better.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:34 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, it's not just in France, right? It's fairly standard in the US, to say, 'Excuse me", before you ask directions of a stranger, or whatever, isn't it? One doesn't just bark one's questions or requests at people, except maybe passing in the street, to ask someone the time.
Oh but people sometimes do.
When I was driving a taxi in London a few years back, I stopped at a set of lights in Whitechapel.
A car stopped on my left and the driver tooted her horn.
I glanced to my left, and she lowered her window and called out, "Mile End?", a district some one and a half miles straight ahead.
I replied, "Stepney Green?"
She looked at me bemused, and said, "Excuse me?"
I said, "Oh sorry, I thought that it was some word association game", then drove off as the light changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe