Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2016, 06:24 AM

820 posts, read 953,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
This is true, but what I am arguing is objective (wealth) what you are arguing is subjective (quality of life).

Objective facts can't be argued. The U.S. is indeed wealthier than France, and the gap grows every year.

Subjective points are impossible to quantify, and totally dependent on personal biases. What is "higher quality of life"? More possessions? A bigger house? A longer vacation? Happier children? A hotter spouse? There's no way to answer these questions in any sort of objective manner, so pointless exercise.
No, again and again Americans are less wealthier than French people. It is a fact based on data.
The average and median French person is twice/ third times richer than an American person if we compare the total wealth of a French person (median or average).

Old 06-08-2016, 07:13 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroW View Post
No, again and again Americans are less wealthier than French people. It is a fact based on data.
The average and median French person is twice/ third times richer than an American person if we compare the total wealth of a French person (median or average).
Debt is quantifiable. The USA is up to its eyeballs in public and private debt. That's beside the fact that GDP numbers provided by the US are fairly inaccurate.

CNBC analysis: Don't trust those GDP numbers

Old 06-08-2016, 08:08 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroW View Post
If France is the Utopia you claim it is it begs the question why are the workers there always on strike?

Old 06-08-2016, 08:40 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
Because they can't do that in other countries ?

Old 06-08-2016, 12:14 PM

1,285 posts, read 591,695 times
In my experience I find that in USA I have a lot more disposable income, compared to France.
However in France you get actual services for your taxes, whereas in USA taxes go into a black hole never to be seen or heard from again.

In USA I feel richer and I can buy more loot.
There is also a great availability of credit here, unparallelled anywhere else I've lived.
It's so easy to get a mortgage or a car loan.

The medical system is a complete and total disaster however, so as long as you don't get sick you should be ok.
If you find yourself having to go to the hospital, all bets are off.

It's also a terrible place to be old.
Property taxes are outrageous and basically drive old people out of their homes.

Worker protections are non-existant compared to Europe.
Retirement age in USA is disgraceful, and pensions? Forgetabout it.
In USA it's common to find really old people well into their 60's and even 70's working at tills in retail stores.
They should be enjoying the later years of their lives in the sun and are instead competing with young people for entry level jobs at minimum wage. You just don't see that anywhere else in the world (at least in the 1st world).

So while it's better to be young and make your money in USA, you'd be a fool to stay.
(this presumes you don't go to college in USA)

Last edited by jman0war; 06-08-2016 at 12:30 PM..

Old 06-08-2016, 12:42 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Because they can't do that in other countries ?
But they can so I don't think that's the reason, perhaps AmaroW is erm......exaggerating a tad? If the French workers live in paradise and are so happy why are they striking more than workers of other European or North American companies?

Old 06-08-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
But they can so I don't think that's the reason, perhaps AmaroW is erm......exaggerating a tad? If the French workers live in paradise and are so happy why are they striking more than workers of other European or North American companies?
It's a cultural trait they learned during the Revolution and are loathe to let it go.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:00 PM

So why are the French always on strike? - The Local

This article says the actual number of days on strike is not conclusive, some studies calculate France is in the middle (days lost to strikes compared to other countries), others claim it's not counting strikes in private industries.
Quote:
So why are the French up for going on strike so much?
The main reason seems to focus around the historic relationship between bosses and employees. The historian Sirot says that while in other northern European countries, strikes tend to follow failed negotiations, in France, strike action normally precedes negotiations or runs alongside them.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:44 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,605,518 times
There are very few strike in the private sector in France. Except few sectors where the CGT is well present but for the overwhelming majority, strikes are inexistant.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:14 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
it's far from perfect of course, but striking has proven in the past to be an efficient method in removing bad political ideas. People in France have done this for decades and usually it paid off with great advantages. When someone wants to take off some of those advantages, people fight for their right to keep them.

It's a constant fight, people do not want to be exploited and want a fair treatment / pay for the work they do.

Then there are countries where people are happy to work 60 hours a week for a low wage, good for them but French people are not happy to surrender in the work war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe