Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2016, 04:24 AM

820 posts, read 945,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Again, that is simply typical French paranoia of "les Anglo-Saxons", for the entire European media (which I read/listen to in four languages) have reported the specific problems in the French economy and the larger society. First, that its social model is costly and simply unsustainable. Second, that there's a perceived decline in France's overall status within Europe and the world. (That's reflected in its "soft power": for ex., the study of the French language is declining in both Germany and the US, where the number of American university students who study French now is just half of what it was in the 1960s -- when America had far fewer students than it does today.) The productivity of French workers, while high, is not the highest in the West. The French economy is less than dynamic, and the number of young French who have fled over the Channel to seek interesting work in the UK is evidence of that. To ascribe that economic migration to the brilliance of French workers, or to compare France to Norway -- on any level at all -- is ridiculous.

Though some French like Amaro wish to believe there is some "Anglo-Saxon conspiracy" to keep France down, that's to deny the negative press about France and its economy and profile (like its mediocre reputation among the world's universities) that has been reported across the European media. I do agree that the French can be very self-critical, as ForgottenUserName wrote above, but the French still have a hard time with any criticism from anyone outside French borders (even from those of us who speak the language fluently and know the country quite well). Amaro's posts are defensive and emotional, though not at all surprising to those of who have lived in France.
Mouaahhh
French language declining? And you don t live in a anglo propaganda?
It is evidence you live in a total anglo propaganda. French language is declining only in few Western nations like in the US and Germany due to the propaganda. But Infact , French language is surging erveywhere. We estimate 1 billion people will speak fluent French in the next 30 years thanks to Africa...
French Could be the most spoken language after English in less than 30 years and surpass English at the end of century according to all studies...
Keep connected to facts!
You are typically American, you focus on particular cases (French in the USA) to make generalities...it is very hilarous.
But frankly, I dont give a damn about French language. I am talking about economy. We are the best, the most productive, the wealthiest. It is only facts!

Criticis about France are not only wrong but exactly the opposite of the reality.
French language is at its top for the future
French economy has nothing to envy to the best performers like Norway and if we compare with the dramatic situation in the USA, it is just hilarous.
French people don t leave the country (again, typical anglo propaganda)
France is absolutely not declining. It is exactly the opposite even if the anglo world (and some conservatives countries) think it is.
Yes French economy has a bad image but facts are totally different.

Maybe people don t want to put down France but it is what they do by making generalities and giving faulse information. And it is on a daily basis. I read the international press.

What I say about France are only facts. What many people think about France are based on faulse information and generalities to hide their own problems.

French bashing (with no real intention) is an international sport and is considering so.

If many French people think like me, it is not a coïncidence. But you will say, French people behave like this ...haha...

Facts:
http://m.leparisien.fr/espace-premiu...16-5629339.php

Last edited by amaroW; 06-22-2016 at 04:56 AM..

Old 06-22-2016, 04:50 AM

5,806 posts, read 11,822,135 times
French language is "surging"... sure in African backwaters (former Fr colonies where each women has 7 kids average).
Shut up, amaro.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:05 AM

820 posts, read 945,433 times
Quote:
the number of young French who have fled over the Channel to seek interesting work in the UK is evidence of that. T
Evidence of that?
Again evidence of anglo propaganda. I have all data!

This is the faulse argument Brits said all the time: why are there French in the UK? It is hilarous again and again.

The question is why are there so few French outside France even if some of them are in London?

There always will be French outside France ( 950 000 French expats (and only 127 000 in the UK) vs 5.8 million Brits expats (163 500 in France)) and most of them are in London (for the UK) but most of them work in the financial sector for 3000 euros / 200 000 euros a month. But then most of them come back to France. The only thing which is better in the UK compared to France is your first job when you are graduated. Everything else is a nightmare in the UK.
London is the only correct city in the UK where French people like to go.

Secondly, maybe you don t know, but all British companies and Banks come to France to propose jobs in London. French don t want to go to the UK but Banks and British companies dont find British with high qualifications and skills therefore they come in France with Huge package to tell us to come. When I was at school, every British banks were there to offer us a 6000€ net a month job because we are the only country where they can find the good people.
Also, Many French people want to go in an other country. It has always being the case.
In addition, London offers good jobs in the financial sector and French young people have a short term view (they don t know the French and English system. They finally come back to France. They did not know they have to save money for when they retire, they did not they have to save money for the health service system. They did not know income taxe in England was so high compared with the 11% tax on your income in France (11% tax between 2000€/4000€ net a month income). They did not know they have to pay so many insurances even when they travel. They did not know the rent was so expensive. they did not know they have so few days off and so much work and so few holidays. They did not know they have to pay so much for their kids and even for their education.etc etc..

The real reason is because British graduated are not as good as French graduated. (A British manager working for Goldman Sachs told me that) And French young graduated take their job in the financial sector. City 's bank prefer us. It is a Fact. There are paying enormous amount of money to attract the most performing graduated in the world : the French !
French people in the London financial sector get the highest paid worldwide.

Ps: anglo propaganda is in anglo world DNA

Last edited by amaroW; 06-22-2016 at 05:23 AM..

Old 06-22-2016, 10:08 AM

1,980 posts, read 2,082,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroW View Post
Ps: anglo propaganda is in anglo world DNA

Repeating the same old saw doesn't make it any more true. The entire European press has reported a French "decline" or "perceived French decline." It's been covered in British and US newspapers, of course, but also in the German and Spanish press, which I read daily (along with Le Monde and Libération).

There is some truth to what you say about US unemployment statistics, but most economists believe the true rate is closer to 8%, not the 20% you're quoting. And though I do believe we could learn a few things from France in this domain, the economic reporters on the nightly TV news in France have said repeatedly that the French economy is not growing as fast as the US economy and that it needs a shakeup. Not in the social protections for French workers, which are written in stone, but in the way French companies hire workers, do research/development, and their depressing corporate culture. If you believe there are no structural problems in the French economy, the main economists for Le Monde and French TV don't agree with you.

Where I part company with you is your suggestion that France is some kind of paradise compared to the English-speaking countries. I lived I France; it is no paradise. In fact, I thought it was less efficient on a daily basis (i.e., dealing with bureaucrats from the municipal libraries in France to the student offices at the Sorbonne and other campuses, or folks at Electricité de France). French society generally suffers from poorer organization, more sullen employees, and more overall unpleasantness than here in the States. There, I'm afraid, the awful Anglo-Saxons are ahead of the French.

About the French language: As another poster said, it is "surging" only with the birth rate in sub-Saharan Africa. Many nations in that region are nominally Francophone (that is, most people don't speak very good French unless they are fairly well educated). When it comes to the use of French by educated people outside Africa -- as an "international language" -- French is in decline. The number of students taking French here in America is simply catastrophic compared to the 1960s and 1970s. Many German states report that Spanish has just overtaken French as the second foreign language in schools (after English). This is a trend throughout Europe -- with one or two exceptions like Romania. But: the exception confirms the rule, and this has been reported in the French media. Have you not been listening?

Have a good day, Amaro. Please remember what I said about thinking of your country as a "paradise." Though I really liked France when I lived there, I didn't find it to be a paradise. Loin de là.

Last edited by masonbauknight; 06-22-2016 at 10:35 AM..

Old 06-22-2016, 10:47 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,625,632 times
Quote:
French society generally suffers from poorer organization, more sullen employees, and more overall unpleasantness than here in the States. There, I'm afraid, the awful Anglo-Saxons are ahead of the French.
I don't have a lot of personal experience in France, but that with the DMV Los Angeles etc. tells me poorer organizations and sullen or even outright rude public employees are definitely prevalent in the US too. In fact I dreaded going to the DMV every time because all the employees there acted like Queens and I was constantly in fear of saying something that might make them unhappy.

US embassy officers overseas are also known to be extremely rude and arrogant just because they have this teeny tiny power in their hands. My friend was screamed at while applying for a visa in Shanghai, totally mortified.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:07 AM

14,197 posts, read 11,436,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I don't have a lot of personal experience in France, but that with the DMV Los Angeles etc. tells me poorer organizations and sullen or even outright rude public employees are definitely prevalent in the US too. In fact I dreaded going to the DMV every time because all the employees there acted like Queens and I was constantly in fear of saying something that might make them unhappy.
Oh yes, the DMW is notorious. I used to dread going to the DMV in Laguna Hills, CA because every transaction felt like spending a morning in prison. Then I discovered the San Clemente DMV. The difference is night and day. It is not only quick and efficient, the employees are positively pleasant.

I've had the same experience with post offices--some are wonderful, others are a nightmare. So it is definitely possible to find polite and efficient government employees in the US; they're not all horrible.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:04 PM

1,529 posts, read 907,991 times
Alright, I got it.

Anything negative about France is due to "anglo propaganda"

AmaroW has all the "facts" and "data" to prove that France is the greatest country in the world.

Now how can any of us argue with him.

Hail to amaroW.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:06 PM

8,868 posts, read 8,338,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
French language is "surging"... sure in African backwaters (former Fr colonies where each women has 7 kids average).
Shut up, amaro.
Well those African backwaters have or will have really large population, so it's not exactly a stretch to say that French is surging.

Besides, French already is an extremely important language as it is. Probably a distant runner-up to English on world stage as lots of people are learning it and it's the working language for almost all international organisations. No matter where you're from there'd be French on your passport.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:25 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,528,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post
Alright, I got it.

Anything negative about France is due to "anglo propaganda"

AmaroW has all the "facts" and "data" to prove that France is the greatest country in the world.

Now how can any of us argue with him.

Hail to amaroW.
I though it was "d'Anglo-Saxons"

Old 06-22-2016, 03:47 PM

1,529 posts, read 907,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
I though it was "d'Anglo-Saxons"
He does change his mind and his stories, shucks I meant facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe