Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2016, 08:08 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Ah yes, such a disaster. By mentioning the two worst case scenarios - which weren't even caused by the European Union - you conveniently forget to mention those countries that always did well or developed exceptionally well ever since they joined the European Union.

You blame the Schengen Agreement for letting those bad Muslim terrorists into our territory, while they would have come here even without it. You forget to mention the UK's unwillingness to repair the broken Dublin system and blame the EU. Not to mention that Brexit is threatening the UK's position of being relatively unharmed by recent refugees by annulling the Touquet agreement.

You are blaming the EU for overreaching tax plans while it doesn't even have the power to implement tax legislation.

Frankly, it doesn't sound like you have an idea about what you are talking. You are just parroting the Daily Mail and Telegraph articles you are usually linking to at the end of your posts.
Schengen was something I don't want any part of, it was flawed from the outset and most people understand that proper border controls however inconvient make for safer Europe.

As for immigration, it's a major issue in France, Germany, Italy and throughout Europe, so it's not unique to Britain.

As for tax the EU does have such powers in relation to European Union value added tax on goods and services, as well as proposed taxes such as the Financial Transaction Tax.

New EU VAT regulations could threaten micro-businesses - The Guardian

Deal reached to scrap 'tampon tax', officials say - BBC News

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-05-2016 at 08:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 08:21 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
From a British perspective, when you look at the EU and the Common Agriculture Policy and lots of other EU egislation it's uncompetitive and actually prevents or restricts trade with third world countries. As for India, it's vast market and it should not be forgotten than Britain has always had a close relationship with India and the Commonwealth, as well as the Anglosphere, just as we have historic relationships with European Countries. Britain still want to remain on good terms with the EU, and we still want to trade however we do not want to go down a restrictive road or becoming part of some Federal United Europe.

It's not that we dislike Europeans, we dislike corruption and the mess the EU has now become and we are not the only nation and people questioning Europe.

I personally don't think Jeremy Corbyn will be leader this time nerxt month nevermind PM. Corbyn was never Pro-EU he voted against the EU his entire political career.

We have some big industries in the UK, however an increasing number of household products are now manufactured in China, the Far East even India, as the cost of production is so much lower and this isn't going to change. Britain tends to concentrate on high end quality products and historic brands. In terms of the EU economy it is the slowest growing in the world, and along with it's Federal ambitions and Eurozone disaster this is one more reason to leave the EU.

Top 10 UK exports - Real Business
Starting from Corbyn, he's always stuck to his ideals and done the right thing. As i said, voting against the European Union isn't a mistake if it comes with the right premises. The main reason to leave the European Union should be the neoliberalist policies often enacted by several of its institutions but the reason you leave is so that you can enact more austerity and neoliberalism? Because that's what it seemed like to me, i would rather have my country be able to change the EU from inside at that point. At least, there are still several guarantees that go against the enacting of pure neoliberalism.

As for emerging market, i think the current EU is quite open about exporting several products to them, maybe not when it comes to agriculture but certainly in different fields. Probably agriculture is one of the least valuable fields when it comes to exports to a country with the characteristics of India which is capable to cultivate almost anything due to its several biomes. I get what you said but i think you are excessively confident of how things will pan out in the short medium run. Both the EU and the UK will be hit but the UK and especially London more so

Sorry but the UK export system is basically non existent. ITs manifacture was demolished bit by bit by Thatcherism and New Labour policies which were the different sides of the same coin. The thriving working class of the North was basically left struggling as there was no plan to change the economy of most of the areas that used to the UK's manifactural heartland.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:32 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Starting from Corbyn, he's always stuck to his ideals and done the right thing. As i said, voting against the European Union isn't a mistake if it comes with the right premises. The main reason to leave the European Union should be the neoliberalist policies often enacted by several of its institutions but the reason you leave is so that you can enact more austerity and neoliberalism? Because that's what it seemed like to me, i would rather have my country be able to change the EU from inside at that point. At least, there are still several guarantees that go against the enacting of pure neoliberalism.
Corbyn is popular with student radicals and the left but not with the mainstream electorate. I just can't see them electing a Marxist Pacifist who has spent most of his political life at life wing rallies rather than in government. To be fair, he can't even fill Cabinet positions and hos own MP's don't think he is up to the job so why should the British public. The way he was elected just demonstrated the stupidity of the Labour voting system and sadly it is now not just a question of whether Corbyn survives but whether the Labour party survices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by improb
As for emerging market, i think the current EU is quite open about exporting several products to them, maybe not when it comes to agriculture but certainly in different fields. Probably agriculture is one of the least valuable fields when it comes to exports to a country with the characteristics of India which is capable to cultivate almost anything due to its several biomes. I get what you said but i think you are excessively confident of how things will pan out in the short medium run. Both the EU and the UK will be hit but the UK and especially London more so
Europe and indeed Britain has been through far worse, and this might be a wake up call to the EU to reform.

In terms of negotiations, I think's it's in the EU's interests to keep close links with the UK, indeed certain EU countries have even offered young Brits dual nationality in order to continue free movement.

However it's too early to say what the eventual deal will be or even who will be brokering the final deal as Hollande and Merkel are noth increasingly unpopular and both have elections in 2017.

Quote:
Originally Posted by improb
Sorry but the UK export system is basically non existent. ITs manifacture was demolished bit by bit by Thatcherism and New Labour policies which were the different sides of the same coin. The thriving working class of the North was basically left struggling as there was no plan to change the economy of most of the areas that used to the UK's manifactural heartland.
There has been a decline in manufacturing jobs in the UK just as there has been in many western nations, however this is down to numerous factors, firstly the decline of traditional industry like coal mining, secondly the fact that mass produced goods can be produced more chealpy in countries such as China and thirdly even high end manufacturing jobs are less labour intensive. Modern manufacturing processes often rely heavily on machinary and robotics rather than sheer manpower. In terms of the UK we tend to manufacture high quality high end goods such as nuclear reactors, jet engines, organic chemicals, pharmaceuticals etc. We also have a lot of bespoke hand made goods especially in relation to the fashion industry and famous retail brands.

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-05-2016 at 08:44 AM..

Old 07-05-2016, 08:41 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Schengen was something I don't want any part of, it was flawed from the outset and most people understand that proper border controls however inconvient make for safer Europe.

As for immigration, it's a major issue in France, Germany, Italy and throughout Europe, so it's not unique to Britain.

As for tax the EU does have such powers in relation to European Union value added tax on goods and services, as well as proposed taxes such as the Financial Transaction Tax.
Again, Schengen has absolutely zero to do with with external border security. You might bash Frontex, which is responsible for it and to which the UK is contributing to.

Yes, Frontex is half-assed at times but only thanks to the unwillingness of countries to properly contribute to it since they aren't directly affected by war-induced migration. Countries to blame for are your own and those Eastern European ones Brexiters usually cheered for during the recent migrant debate. Austria as well.

The migration you are facing is significantly different to the one France, Germany, Italy, Austria and Hungary is facing. You have lots of intra-EU and intra-Commonwealth migration, whereas all the other countries are facing migrants that are coming there because of war or lack of economic perspective. But hey. After the Touquet Agreement gets cancelled you'll see what I'm talking about.

As for tax legislation, I'll have to ask you for a source. EU VAT rates still vary significantly from country to country. The legality of a Financial Transaction Tax is highly disputed and will never pass.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:16 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I believe it is in the national interest to ply our goods elsewhere on this globe, .
The UKIP web site mentioned a Mexican official, who commented that Mexico is interested in trading with a post Brexit Britain.

Chile is another country mentioned as a promising place for British businesses.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
The UKIP web site mentioned a Mexican official, who commented that Mexico is interested in trading with a post Brexit Britain.

Chile is another country mentioned as a promising place for British businesses.
Two questions:

What kind of trade do you expect with Chile and Mexico and what kind of trade are they expecting with you?

Also, what kind of trade deal are you expecting?

Old 07-05-2016, 10:17 AM

I have been having trouble posting a link for "Doing Business in Mexico: Mexico Trade and Export" Article goes into detail regarding opportunities.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
I have been having trouble posting a link for "Doing Business in Mexico: Mexico Trade and Export" Article goes into detail regarding opportunities.
Oh, a link would be great, but I'm also interested in your personal opinion on how much trade will be diverted by a deal with Mexico and Chile, how a trade deal with nations that you hardly do any trade with is more useful than the one you already have going with the EU and when you think that those trade deals will be in effect?

Old 07-05-2016, 10:33 AM

http://www.gov.uk/government/publica...rting-to-chile

Old 07-05-2016, 10:45 AM

A pity I don't get your personal opinion Also, I'm a bit lost why you want to do business with Chile. Similar reports do exist with a variety of other countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe