Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2016, 03:23 AM

118 posts, read 141,298 times

Advertisements

Good morning, I am currently living in Italy and have been here since 2012. I love Italy and am not ready to leave Europe. Italy is amazing and I love the culture, food, football games and ease of travel. There are airports everywhere so there is always something to do. I have applied for two schools abroad, one in Athens and one in Rome. I received an offer from Athens and was accepted into the school and I am currently waiting for the school in Rome to respond.

The only issue for me is the economy in Greece isn't the greatest but I will not be working there. I will be earning just over $1500 per month. I checked rentals and they are actually pretty cheap in Athens and will leave me with a decent amount of money left over for living. I am leaning more towards Greece but am wondering how it would be as a student there? I am not worried about the refugee crisis, safety, and other negative things I have read online. I just want some insight from people who currently live there or have lived there and their opinion on the country and life there in general. I have visited so its a lot different than living.

Rome on the other hand is slightly more expensive, visited but never lived here. wouldn't mind some pros and cons for there too.

I was set to go back to the US but no longer plan to do that. Thank you!

Last edited by piffler; 06-30-2016 at 04:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 04:45 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piffler View Post

I am leaning more towards Greece but am wondering how it would be as a student there? ... I just want some insight from people who currently live there or have lived there and their opinion on the country and life there in general.

I was set to go back to the US but no longer plan to do that. Thank you!

I have lived in both Italy and Greece (but not Rome and Athens) for very extended periods of time, both as a student and in the business world, then finally settled in the US.

It is very hazardous for one person to express to another person a meaningful opinion on the countries and life there in general because, well, it is so personal.

What are your reasons for considering either of the experiences, what is most valuable to you right now, what are you studying, where do you think right now that you want to be in terms of what's most valuable to you in two years, in five years?

Last edited by bale002; 06-30-2016 at 05:22 AM..

Old 07-01-2016, 09:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,554 times
Hi

I am Greek and I have grown up in Athens (20+ years). I just finished my studies in Pireus (10km from Athens Center), however the last year i leave abroad.

I can say that Athens is very nice city but quite crowded. It's fool of nice pubs and bars and the student life is quite nice.

Athens is quite multicultural and many people from US live there (many tourists come as well). Most of the students are really helpful with the non-native students and defenatily Greeks speak better English than Italians :-p (i have an Italian friend and colleague next to me already seen the post).

Furthermore, winter does not really exist and only 15 km from city centre you can find amazing green-blue colored beaches.

Regarding your budget, 1500usd is more than enough. Actually you will find an apartment with ~300euros in very good area cose to your university (i guess ΕΚΠΑ or ΕΜΠ). I would reccomend areas such as Pagrati or Ampelokipi (many americans live there). Also the public transport is really good and very cheap (only 15euros for monthly student card) for everything to everywhere inn Athens (and the metro is brand new comparing to other i.e London where a single ticket souldn't cost more than 0.4 euros, but it costs 4 euros.....).

About safety i do not know what you have read but it quite safe (no one never attacked me or stole my phone or smth similar) however it's massive city and you have be carefull with your belongings and avoid going to specific areas (ghettos) especially in the night.

Regarding, crysis since you are student and you do not want to live your entire life you should not be cocerned about it. It is true that people are not as wealthy where in 2009, that many are struggling and that the unemployment is pretty high but do not believe the media (thankfully they have stopped talking about us the last months).

The education it's absolutelly free (at least for Greeks), and the level is pretty high and quite demanding. I did my BSc in Athens but i chose to do a Masters abroad. I am more that satisfied from the academic level of Greek institutions.

I miss Athens but i am going for vacation in August )

This is it

Good luck, regardless your choice

Old 07-01-2016, 10:28 AM

55 posts, read 50,054 times
Both countries aren't bad. Maybe Italy for the better economy?

Old 07-04-2016, 03:25 AM

118 posts, read 141,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the122 View Post
Hi

I am Greek and I have grown up in Athens (20+ years). I just finished my studies in Pireus (10km from Athens Center), however the last year i leave abroad.

I can say that Athens is very nice city but quite crowded. It's fool of nice pubs and bars and the student life is quite nice.

Athens is quite multicultural and many people from US live there (many tourists come as well). Most of the students are really helpful with the non-native students and defenatily Greeks speak better English than Italians :-p (i have an Italian friend and colleague next to me already seen the post).

Furthermore, winter does not really exist and only 15 km from city centre you can find amazing green-blue colored beaches.

Regarding your budget, 1500usd is more than enough. Actually you will find an apartment with ~300euros in very good area cose to your university (i guess ΕΚΠΑ or ΕΜΠ). I would reccomend areas such as Pagrati or Ampelokipi (many americans live there). Also the public transport is really good and very cheap (only 15euros for monthly student card) for everything to everywhere inn Athens (and the metro is brand new comparing to other i.e London where a single ticket souldn't cost more than 0.4 euros, but it costs 4 euros.....).

About safety i do not know what you have read but it quite safe (no one never attacked me or stole my phone or smth similar) however it's massive city and you have be carefull with your belongings and avoid going to specific areas (ghettos) especially in the night.

Regarding, crysis since you are student and you do not want to live your entire life you should not be cocerned about it. It is true that people are not as wealthy where in 2009, that many are struggling and that the unemployment is pretty high but do not believe the media (thankfully they have stopped talking about us the last months).

The education it's absolutelly free (at least for Greeks), and the level is pretty high and quite demanding. I did my BSc in Athens but i chose to do a Masters abroad. I am more that satisfied from the academic level of Greek institutions.

I miss Athens but i am going for vacation in August )

This is it

Good luck, regardless your choice
Great insight. Thank you for that and I will check out both areas. I have noticed decent apartments for 300-450 euros per month which is much lower than rome.

Old 07-04-2016, 05:31 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
None of them have world languages, so I think studying in those countries is a loss of time. But of course I would choose Italy, an important Latin culture , much more diverse and wealthy than miserable , Marxist Greece.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe