Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 08:57 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,778,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Isnt work for change what she is doing? By raising awareness in order to get people to vote for people that represent them, and not the big money donor class that dont care about workers?
When you "Work for change" posting to Vox is kind of "Low Brow" journalism.....If she'd posted to other papers, again, that's not 'Working for change" What she needs to do, is to start writing to congress, having others write having people vote FOR who WILL change the way it's done in Congress. Writing a hack piece? Been done, no one remembers who did them....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 09:22 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,089,446 times
Switzerland does sound great.

The article is right about Americans being made to feel guilty for using their vacation. Sometimes it's like they think they're doing you a favor (that you don't deserve) to "let" you go on vacation.

I recall one job where you got holidays and days off, but you never really "got" them—it was assumed you'd work them. (You'd eventually get paid something for not taking the days off, but sometimes the time off is more important than the money that you might eventually get!) The bosses would try to make you feel guilty to actually taking your weekends too. They'd ask what you were doing; as if whatever you had planned wasn't "important" enough, and surely you could work your weekend too, right?

Old 07-16-2016, 09:23 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,097,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
What percentage of the Swiss are white?
Most people who live there are white and of European ancestry. Black and brown people are about 5% or less total and are recent immigrants. The cost of living is outrageously high, and taxes are even higher. The great majority live in small apartments; the rich live in big apartments. If you want to live in a house like we have in America, you will need to spend a million or two for a small house. Zurich is an attractive, clean city, but it is not nearly as safe as one is led to believe. I would rather live in any US city any day, yes, ANY city, including Baltimore, St Louis, or Detroit.

Unfortunately, the Swiss will not work at menial jobs, so they have encouraged people from third world countries to come and do their dirty work. Not long after 9/11, I had it out with a Zurich cab driver who refused to take me because I am an American. He was a muslim from the Middle East. How he knew I was American is beyond me; most people start speaking German or Russian to me when I travel in Europe.

Old 07-16-2016, 09:42 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,097,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
When you "Work for change" posting to Vox is kind of "Low Brow" journalism.....If she'd posted to other papers, again, that's not 'Working for change" What she needs to do, is to start writing to congress, having others write having people vote FOR who WILL change the way it's done in Congress. Writing a hack piece? Been done, no one remembers who did them....
Vox is "low brow" journalism? That's an understatement!! Vox is lower than a snake's belly. Everything they publish is one sided, and they love liberals.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:03 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Not sure if it was meant to me....."have you ever rode in public transportation?"...you betcha I did during the early part of WW11 riding on a streetcar......that's right a streetcar...twice a day on two different ones going to and from school. (Canada)

Rode the Red car from L.A. to home (Calif)

Mexico City has the mini busses all over the City along with the Metro Lines that I adhered too with the vast number pushing to enter while others are pushing to exit via the same door.\

Have never been to NYC or Chicago that might be the same.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:07 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Such a gorgeous country.

But I'm not living anywhere where even the rich can't have the standard of living that I enjoy right here.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:34 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times
Oh, please. Allow me to say what I bet the 320 people who chose to read the OP without responding to it probably wanted to say: The author of that article is a privileged jerk.

The fact that she had a lousy job doesn't mean the U.S. has a "lousy work culture." Jobs with benefits and which pay well are out there. Instead of whining about what "the U.S." (the government) needs to provide, she should start pounding the pavement, and chuck the idea that a full-time job is beneath her. Quite frankly, it sounds as if she'd relish being part of the almost 50% of Americans who don't even pay income tax.

The World Owes Me A Living is an.old song.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:45 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Remind me again exaclty which piece of legislation makes it shameful for Americans to take their full lunch hour? And the constitutional amendment which governs the low status of part time work?

Old 07-17-2016, 12:28 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,016,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Living in Switzerland ruined me for America and its lousy work culture - Vox

I've only visited; lovely place and people, but the article seems right inline with what a friend of mine went through as well. Lived and worked out there for a few years, came back to the US and damn near fell into a depression at his new reality. We've got to get with times here.
Same thing happened to me living in Holland 4 years . My Dutch husband wanted to see America now we don't have the $$$$$ to go back .
I sure am ready to go back go though. I am always so tired ( without even knowing it ) from American life that I sleep about 3 months after I get there. I miss it terribly and if not for a VERY intrusive ex wife I think we would be there .

Old 07-17-2016, 06:00 AM

823 posts, read 1,973,289 times
Switzerland is a Tax Haven.

They are rich at the expense of the rest of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe