Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 06:56 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times

Advertisements

I have many friends from Europe and none of them would trade what they have to work in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Oh, please. Allow me to say what I bet the 320 people who chose to read the OP without responding to it probably wanted to say: The author of that article is a privileged jerk.

The fact that she had a lousy job doesn't mean the U.S. has a "lousy work culture." Jobs with benefits and which pay well are out there. Instead of whining about what "the U.S." (the government) needs to provide, she should start pounding the pavement, and chuck the idea that a full-time job is beneath her. Quite frankly, it sounds as if she'd relish being part of the almost 50% of Americans who don't even pay income tax.

The World Owes Me A Living is an.old song.

50% don't pay any income tax because their jobs don't pay them enough to pay any. The corporations would rather have the government pick up the tab for paying their workers so little. You don't see this in Europe. Companies there pay their workers a living wage for any type of work. They also invest in their workers rather than trying to dump them and bring in exploitable foreign labor.

America today is nothing more than in a race for the bottom.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:09 AM

27,545 posts, read 28,630,498 times
I have been to Zurich, Switzerland. Everything is outrageously expensive there and the place has very little culture for the price tag. So, um, no thanks. (I suppose things would be different for a very rich person.)

I will stick with where I am.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I have been to Zurich, Switzerland. Everything is outrageously expensive there and the place has very little culture for the price tag. So, um, no thanks. (I suppose things would be different for a very rich person.)

I will stick with where I am.
Most big cities don't have much original culture anymore. You have to really go out of the way to experience real culture.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:20 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
I prefer Europe to America overall.

Not undermining America and the many great things here, but if I could just choose and like POOF i could move? I would choose Switzerland, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Norway, Finland, Denmark to live over the US any day.....

The US is filled with jingoism and violence. The whole gun culture and evangelical christian element ... don't appeal to me at all. The food in the US is not so great (granted there are fantastic restaurants in every city) but overall...regular American food from the millions of chain restaurants everywhere is pretty much garbage IMO. Big box stores, endless suburbia....no thanks. Divisive politics? Willful and extreme ignorance is practically celebrated in America. Debt accumulation is a right of passage in America. . . I mean really?

Old 07-17-2016, 08:23 AM

27,545 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Most big cities don't have much original culture anymore. You have to really go out of the way to experience real culture.
That's probably true in Zurich's case. But another thing is - you better be willing to learn German unless you want to feel like an outsider the whole time you're there.

Everything is in German in that part of Switzerland.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:28 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I prefer Europe to America overall.

Not undermining America and the many great things here, but if I could just choose and like POOF i could move? I would choose Switzerland, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Norway, Finland, Denmark to live over the US any day.....

The US is filled with jingoism and violence. The whole gun culture and evangelical christian element ... don't appeal to me at all. The food in the US is not so great (granted there are fantastic restaurants in every city) but overall...regular American food from the millions of chain restaurants everywhere is pretty much garbage IMO. Big box stores, endless suburbia....no thanks.
I can't recall the last time someone took a semi truck through crowds here in a religious anger of killing (Even the ones here wouldn't do that)

Switzerland was not invaded by Germany...Now why? I guess that EVERYONE knows how to use a gun....

Evangelical christian element...OK, so you don't believe...Lots of people don't, but they have to let others know this...for some reason.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:37 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I can't recall the last time someone took a semi truck through crowds here in a religious anger of killing (Even the ones here wouldn't do that)

Switzerland was not invaded by Germany...Now why? I guess that EVERYONE knows how to use a gun....

Evangelical christian element...OK, so you don't believe...Lots of people don't, but they have to let others know this...for some reason.
So no one has taken a semi truck through a crowd of people in America..... (yet)..

No, rather Americans prefer to blow eachother way in mass shootings that happen about once every three months. You know.... going into schools, churches, theatres, universities, night clubs and just indiscriminantly shoot and kill as many people as possible. Sandy Hook elementary school, Aurora, Colorado, Pulse night Club, various military bases in Texas, post offices, etc... Not to mention the shootings that happen every. single. day in America on local news throughout the country where people are killed by guns.....every day. You know gang voilence, stray bullets killing children, ridiculous turf wars...racial tensions, etc.
Sure, just gloss over that and focus on one truck attack in one country (france)..lol

Old 07-17-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post

The gun violence there is practically nil, as well as most other kinds of violence. That is due to the overall higher education level and economic level of the average citizen compared to the US. Poor education and rampant poverty is a big contributor to the crime rates in the US. When you know there is a safety net to help you out, you're unlikely to pick up a gun and rob someone to survive.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
That's probably true in Zurich's case. But another thing is - you better be willing to learn German unless you want to feel like an outsider the whole time you're there.

Everything is in German in that part of Switzerland.
Well, when in Rome...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe