Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2016, 07:23 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Except for the fact that the Nordic Model sucks in plenty of unproductive and violent immigrants its fantastic. Visit Malmo, Sweden some time to see how well that works.
Why don't you visit Copenhagen, Helsinki and Oslo and see how well it works?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 07:28 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,333,156 times
The nordic system works very well, as long as its a closed system. As soon as welfare-receiving immigrants are attracted and allowed into a system, of course it will lose competitiveness.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:12 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
On another board, Republican Operative / Conservative Republican Discussion Forums I have a signature that refers people to a Facebook page I started, "Liberal Democrats for Ted Cruz." I guess you're not a candidate for membership.
No in Europe would be. Le Pen is actually way to the left of Cruz or Trump (especially Cruz) for that matter and her policies even regarding immigration aren't as threatening as those of either. Not even the staunchest Christian in Western Europe would be willing to vote for someone as socially conservative as Cruz. The debate regarding abortion was last done in the 70s here and the same goes for several more things.

By the way, Cruz or someone close to his views wouldn't be electable also because of his economical policies. No one supports economical liberalism here in the way you do on the other side of the pond and most of the more socially conservative parties actually want more regulation of the market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I wouldn't subscribe to the third position either (European neo-fascism). In Europe the "third way" means practically the Nordic Model, which is a free market capitalist system with somewhat social domestic policies.

Regulated capitalism works well. No need to change that in a other way that the influence corporations have in politics.
IF anything, capitalism needs to be regulated slightly more. Keynes and Roosevelt were right all along, it's a shame that the Republicans and the cronies which they represent have put an end much of the work that was done with the New Deal. The economical crisis of 2008 and the speculations that led to the bankruptcy of several banks and financial institutions were all son of the ultra economical liberalism that's running rampant in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
The nordic system works very well, as long as its a closed system. As soon as welfare-receiving immigrants are attracted and allowed into a system, of course it will lose competitiveness.
I partly agree but not wholly. The Nordic System works well in a controlled system and not in a closed one. This means that immigration shouldn't be halted but simply controlled more through social programs which should give the newcomers the necessary skills to be able to find or create work and to be able to fit in the society that hosts them and to become part of it

Old 08-02-2016, 05:06 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Take the Trump thread on the World forum, i knew little but Gentoo explained things to me so that i could keep up with the situation in a better way. It went on throughout the thread. Well, this is how it should work in my humble opinion. It shouldn't be you teaching us about our own countries but instead it should be you giving your own input and listen to what we have to say given that we know far more about it and become more knowledgeable in the end as a result
I'm not trying to teach anyone anything. I'm just discussing the topic at hand. Your input is your perspective and my input is my perspective. Maybe we will learn something from each other, maybe not.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
They do not like your ignorance and going by Trump rhetoric who he manipulates facts and is a giant BIGOT!

Not necessarily referring to you, but your posts seem to teen with Republican fear propaganda.

Let me say this as an American who travels to Europe, frequently:

Statistically speaking, you are more likely to be killed by a crazy gunman in the U.S. than a radical terrorist in France or Europe, even!

Because of the U.S. Lax gun laws and how they are cracks on the background checks where private gun owners do not do background checks!

While there are cases where French can obtain guns, they are much rarer and do not happen as frequently as in the US because of its very strict gun laws. I felt safe in France and despite it having the most Muslims in Western Europe, they only make up less than 10% of the population!

You mentioned you went to France years ago and imply it is no longer France, but I can assure that it is! The unfortunate side is that there are more verbal insults toward anyone who looks Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, or North African sadly because they assume you are Muslim. Airport security personnel are becoming more paranoid and discriminatory with people they deem as North African and Middle Eastern (despite the name not implying such a thing) and had my liquids scrutinized despite being in a plastic bag and meeting the 100 ml regulation but not anyone else in the line because I was the only one who looked Mediterranean in the security line I was on in Nice airport (and I am not Muslim)! I was forced to throw some of them away by the jackass Nice airport security man despite telling them that Charles De Gaulle airport approved and screened them!

I had a great time and felt safe throughout my stay there and just got back from France and intend to go there again within two years. I can only hope the paranoia will die down and have better treatment in Nice in the future.
Several points:

1. I'm not a Trump supporter. I am appalled by him.

2. Statistically speaking, if you are a white person in the US and not participating in criminal activity, you have about the same chance of being killed by ANYONE (including a crazy gunman or a terrorist) as a white person not participating in criminal activity in Europe. It is what it is.

3. I can't follow your English when it comes to your comments on gun laws in the US. Sorry.

4. I went back to France about four years ago. I've been to France many times over the years. I didn't say it "wasn't France." What I said was that I could tell a significant difference in the Europe (not just France) of twenty years ago and in more recent years, and a lot of those differences are directly related to an increase in immigration and in immigrant populations.

5. As for your unfortunate airport scenario, join the crowd. I am definitely not Muslim, don't look Muslim, don't have a Muslim name, and yet I've been patted down, had my luggage gone through with a fine tooth comb, been pulled out of line for a more indepth search and questioning (supposedly random) and had to actually throw away a partial tube of toothpaste and some perfectly good sesame oil that had made it through at least one other airport! So yeah - I hate airport security but so be it.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
It's written "europe" on this page
This is a US based forum.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:41 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,191,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This is a US based forum.
so what? god ths is exactly why some have problems with Americans

Old 08-03-2016, 01:45 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
You know what you never hear? Is Europeans lecturing Americans on all of America's issues.

Hahahaha. Just kidding! Seriously, enough of the hypocricy. Everyone is in everyone's business. Europe<--->USA

Old 08-03-2016, 02:06 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm not trying to teach anyone anything. I'm just discussing the topic at hand. Your input is your perspective and my input is my perspective. Maybe we will learn something from each other, maybe not.
What i'm trying to tell you is that i have a better perspective because i live in such a place. I think you should try to see the perspective of different Europeans, add yours and take the conclusions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
You know what you never hear? Is Europeans lecturing Americans on all of America's issues.

Hahahaha. Just kidding! Seriously, enough of the hypocricy. Everyone is in everyone's business. Europe<--->USA
Ok! The truth is that i cannot stand the vast majority of Americans when they talk about politics. On one side, you have the average Republican voter who's either an Evangelical, a racist, a xenophobe, a nationalist, an ultra conservative or a blindless believe in unregulated capitalism. The Republicans are literally most of what's wrong with America. On the other side, you have a good percentage of white liberals who ooze political correctness from each of their pores. The ones who are okay are minorities (except for the most extreme members of BLM), greens, socialdemocratic, moderates and the other half of while liberals.

I though our politics were ****ed up but yours are much more ****ed up, by a magnitude of 100 . I blame this on the way medias are handled and bipartisanism.

Last edited by improb; 08-03-2016 at 02:24 PM..

Old 08-04-2016, 11:13 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,264,432 times
There canno't be a religious covil war in France since most peple do not have religion. The risk that can happens is that the tension between laic society and radical islam turn to a war between "mainstream assimilated french" and french of muslim background.

That why it is very important to not fell into that trap that would let mainstream french to associate french muslims with radical islam. Inversely it is very important that french muslims do not feel in the trap that would let them to thing that mainstream french hate them, pushing them to join radical islam views as a reaction.

I deeply hope that we will be able to unite together under our french identity instead of dividing ourselves into "religious" separated identities...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe