Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2016, 01:11 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
It might be a US based forum but this actual sub-forum is called "Europe" and the majority of posters are from european countries. It does not mean that Americans are not allowed to write on it (actually they should), but it is normal that european people happen to have more insight on what is happening on their continent that people who happen to not live on it.

Also, English is the language that allows me to speak with Finns, Spaniards, Czechs, Ukrainians, etc. I am sorry that this board happens to be American, but then the vast majority of the Internet is american-based, and if I want to speak to foreigners, I guess I have to go to American-based forums, because they make up the bulk of the English-speaking Internet. I didn't sign up on it thinking "oh, this is an American-based forum, I need to get used to racist comments and the banning on curse words". I just signed up because it allowed me to discuss to foreigners, not only Americans. Thank you imperialism, I guess. If I want to escape American-based forums, then I'd rather give up communication in English at all, and that would be a loss for me.

I have an impression and ideas of what is happening in the United States, but I would never say that my opinion has more value on the matter than this of American people. It is pretty obvious why it would not. There is a difference between saying "I have a feeling this is happening like this" and saying "It is actually happening like this and I know better than you".
Did someone say that Americans are more informed than Europeans about Europe or "It is actually happening like this and I know better than you" ? If so, please direct me to that post, because I'd find that interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 02:59 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,939,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Did someone say that Americans are more informed than Europeans about Europe or "It is actually happening like this and I know better than you" ? If so, please direct me to that post, because I'd find that interesting.
Not all Europeans are so opinionated or over-bearing of course, but both on and off of Internet-land you see that many of them will pontificate with an utmost moral authority on the inner politics and culture of the United States whenever they want. As a country, we in no way should see ourselves as above their scrutiny, but even when they objectively--provably--have no idea what they're talking about, and if an American happens to correct them, how often do you see that American accosted in return, sometimes pretty overtly, for having some kind of inferior, ignorant character simply for contradicting the European with facts from outside their narrow frame of reference?

Pretty damn often, no?

Old 08-07-2016, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Not all Europeans are so opinionated or over-bearing of course, but both on and off of Internet-land you see that many of them will pontificate with an utmost moral authority on the inner politics and culture of the United States whenever they want. As a country, we in no way should see ourselves as above their scrutiny, but even when they objectively--provably--have no idea what they're talking about, and if an American happens to correct them, how often do you see that American accosted in return, sometimes pretty overtly, for having some kind of inferior, ignorant character simply for contradicting the European with facts from outside their narrow frame of reference?

Pretty damn often, no?
Absolutely! And then, I often get treated to a double dose of those pontificated opinions because not only am I an American, but I also live in Texas.

Git a rope.

Old 08-07-2016, 11:25 PM

10,889 posts, read 2,191,857 times
Quote:
Hey, guess what - some Americans travel, some Americans live overseas, and most adult Americans can read and manage to research some actual facts. For instance, I don't have to live in Europe to find out the average annual temperatures of various countries, or the populations of European capitols, or the ingredients in common European recipes - or lots of other actual facts, and experiences, and opinions. Not only that - I can only speak for myself, but in addition to all sorts of interesting facts that are easy to find, I've also lived in and traveled pretty extensively through Europe for many years. I like most of Europe. I like most Europeans - in fact, I can't think of a single European that I know personally that I DON'T like.

You may not have noticed, but I don't discuss much about Spain, or the Nordic countries, or Portugal, or Greece, or some other European countries and you know why? Because I've never been there, never experienced life there, and frankly am not particularly interested in those places.

This is a discussion forum. Americans (and Europeans, et al) are allowed to discuss any topic on any subforum, as long as they abide by the forum's TOS. If this bothers you, I don't know what else to tell you, other than I guess you could put me and anyone else who bothers you on ignore if you like. Doesn't matter to me one way or the other.
maybe you should talk about places you've never been instead - cause when you talk about the places you've been to-- my country for example -- you don't seem that well informed or whatever.

and for the person who didn't signed their rep (wonder why), please stay away from me and what i say, like in the post above, there is that magic ignore button you can click on and stop talking about what you don't know and why some people act like they do. i'm not going to take into account what a foreigner say about me, thanks.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:33 AM

749 posts, read 856,246 times
Quote:
Hey, guess what - some Americans travel, some Americans live overseas, and most adult Americans can read and manage to research some actual facts. For instance, I don't have to live in Europe to find out the average annual temperatures of various countries, or the populations of European capitols, or the ingredients in common European recipes - or lots of other actual facts, and experiences, and opinions. Not only that - I can only speak for myself, but in addition to all sorts of interesting facts that are easy to find, I've also lived in and traveled pretty extensively through Europe for many years. I like most of Europe. I like most Europeans - in fact, I can't think of a single European that I know personally that I DON'T like.

You may not have noticed, but I don't discuss much about Spain, or the Nordic countries, or Portugal, or Greece, or some other European countries and you know why? Because I've never been there, never experienced life there, and frankly am not particularly interested in those places.

This is a discussion forum. Americans (and Europeans, et al) are allowed to discuss any topic on any subforum, as long as they abide by the forum's TOS. If this bothers you, I don't know what else to tell you, other than I guess you could put me and anyone else who bothers you on ignore if you like. Doesn't matter to me one way or the other.
it was more fun when you used to talk about global warming.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:48 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,250 times
Quote:
And what I'm trying to tell you is that you have one perspective, and I have another, and who is to say that one is more "right" or more "wrong" than the other?

But I can tell by the rest of your post that you don't intend to practice what you preach. You don't intend to "see the perspectives of others, add yours, and take the conclusions." Instead, all you seem to be interested in is perpetuating tired old stereotypes yourself. Pot, meet kettle.
I hear the Americans' perspective because i know they know more about their own country than i do (in the same way you should do with us). I just take the perspectives that make more sense (sorry but most conservatives are off the charts; just look at the Politics section) and put piece after piece together (you can see it in the thread about Trump where i got to learn much about how your politics work after hearing the insights of Americans). By the way, what stereotypes am i perpetuating?

I have never said that Americans are ignorant or something similar because i know they aren't, they just happen to have vastly different political views than us Europeans, in fact so different that they are hardly compatible. The differences in our ways of doing and talking politics are many more than we want to admit.

Quote:

You have a traveller's viewpoint which doesn't equal that of a local because no matter how much you have travelled, you don't know enough of the people, of the problems, ecc. Unless you live here, you will never get to know how things really are because the medias often contradict themselves and don't paint a picture that's accurate enough. You can get gist of it but never as much as a local.

Your viewpoint is valid but not as much as that of an American

Old 08-08-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaïraJ View Post
maybe you should talk about places you've never been instead - cause when you talk about the places you've been to-- my country for example -- you don't seem that well informed or whatever.

and for the person who didn't signed their rep (wonder why), please stay away from me and what i say, like in the post above, there is that magic ignore button you can click on and stop talking about what you don't know and why some people act like they do. i'm not going to take into account what a foreigner say about me, thanks.
What have I said that's incorrect about your country?

By the way, just for the record, I didn't send you a rep. I always sign my rep comments. Just so you know.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
it was more fun when you used to talk about global warming.
LOL I don't even remember talking about that. It's really not a topic that I am very interested in discussing one way or the other.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
I hear the Americans' perspective because i know they know more about their own country than i do (in the same way you should do with us). I just take the perspectives that make more sense (sorry but most conservatives are off the charts; just look at the Politics section) and put piece after piece together (you can see it in the thread about Trump where i got to learn much about how your politics work after hearing the insights of Americans). By the way, what stereotypes am i perpetuating?

I have never said that Americans are ignorant or something similar because i know they aren't, they just happen to have vastly different political views than us Europeans, in fact so different that they are hardly compatible. The differences in our ways of doing and talking politics are many more than we want to admit.

You have a traveller's viewpoint which doesn't equal that of a local because no matter how much you have travelled, you don't know enough of the people, of the problems, ecc. Unless you live here, you will never get to know how things really are because the medias often contradict themselves and don't paint a picture that's accurate enough. You can get gist of it but never as much as a local.

Your viewpoint is valid but not as much as that of an American
?

I really don't know what you mean by that last comment.

By the way, I lived in Europe for several years so I'm not speaking simply as the occasional traveler. That being said, it IS possible to glean actual facts about just about any country pretty easily.

One more thing - I have an interest in Europe on many different levels. First, I used to live in Germany. Second, I have European friends who I talk with about once a week, and who we visit (or they visit us) about once a year. Third, I am really into history, especially European history, so I'm often reading a biography or a book about a particular European country.

None of this makes me an expert on "all things European," but it does impart enough curiosity in me to continue to research, to plan and save for future trips, and to comment regularly in the Europe section of this forum. Sorry if you don't appreciate or enjoy my comments, but honestly, I'm not posting anything here to impress you or anyone else.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:34 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,128 times
I guess city-data wouldn't be city-data, if Europeans wouldn't post stupid **** about America and Americans wouldn't post equally unfounded stuff about Europe...

What's the point of arguing? It's always an American troll like Bayesian or Winterfall, who urges a random Euro to post some equally stupid stuff about the US. Then people like Kathryn, improb or me get involved, because they get offended. It's always the freaking same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe