Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 12:58 PM

20 posts, read 14,575 times

Advertisements

For a little context - I mean British English people wishing to live & work in Europe, while speaking the local language and living amongst the locals, rather than living as pooled expats

This is a question to anyone British currently living in Europe...

After the Brexit vote, would you say British people are more unwelcome in Europe (particularly curious about France) or have you been slighted or had any negativity at all during day to day life?

I'd like to know if big political decisions like that have trickled down into local life.

Do the places you live in kinda hate you now?

Is it still worth dreaming about living in Europe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 01:07 PM

10,889 posts, read 2,191,466 times
you have asked about British opinions but i'll still give you mine in any case. in the south west where i live there's a big english community (mostly british i'd reckon), and people don't seem to be particularly different from before. it doesn't mean it don't affect them but oh well, i don't think it changed their daily life that much. some are trying to obtain french nationality though, if it interests you.

Last edited by Eden Morlevent; 07-29-2016 at 01:16 PM..

Old 07-29-2016, 01:14 PM

All opinions welcome...

Yeah I thought a lot would try and get citizenship. Lots of people that might've had a desire to live in France in the future though, I'm not sure how that will pan out.

There's always been the extra little pieces on bureaucracy for non-french citizens (getting health cards etc) but thats more through laziness than malice.

So there's been no shunning on the english since the vote?

Old 07-29-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brurope View Post
All opinions welcome...

Yeah I thought a lot would try and get citizenship. Lots of people that might've had a desire to live in France in the future though, I'm not sure how that will pan out.

There's always been the extra little pieces on bureaucracy for non-french citizens (getting health cards etc) but thats more through laziness than malice.

So there's been no shunning on the english since the vote?
yeah bureaucracy, it put many people off (even us natives )

nah, no shunning (not from my little corner anyway)

Old 07-29-2016, 01:22 PM

Yeah, it actually doesn't bother me. Nobody moves to France for the efficiency...

It's the girls, the weather, the wine, and the way of life. Health cards can wait.

I was just wondering if there was any stigma with being British/English in France now... hopefully not.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it actually doesn't bother me. Nobody moves to France for the efficiency...
don't tell me about it

Quote:
It's the girls, the weather, the wine, and the way of life. Health cards can wait.

I was just wondering if there was any stigma with being British/English in France now... hopefully not.
there is a British doctor in the hospital i go, she's very sweet, she's just one but i think it helps a lot -- when you meet someone of a nationality and get on well with them, it lighten your views on the whole bunch of them. works in the opposite way too...

Old 07-29-2016, 01:26 PM

322 posts, read 479,037 times
Quote:

True comparing an average group of British Girls with a Group of French girls is like comparing a lada with a supercar, no offense

The weather in the North of france can be nearly as bad as in the UK...

Old 07-29-2016, 01:28 PM

While you're here though...

Is the South of France (Paca) actually fun or is it overhyped?

I know they're not exactly New York'ish cities, but what's the 'fastest' city (excluding Marseilles) on the coast? Is Nice boring?

Old 07-29-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zektor View Post

The weather in the North of france can be nearly as bad as in the UK...
i was about to say that (i personally love those kind of weather and miss it greatly), here about now, the weather is too hot for my tastes though

Old 07-29-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
While you're here though...

Is the South of France (Paca) actually fun or is it overhyped?

I know they're not exactly New York'ish cities, but what's the 'fastest' city (excluding Marseilles) on the coast? Is Nice boring?
i would have loved to help you but i don't know this part of the country well, i live in the southwest but i'm sure someone will chim in and answer you soon enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe