Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 06:12 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times

Advertisements

On-topic, there is a massive cultural difference between the US and Europe in this regard. In the US guns represent freedom, liberty (2nd amendment), personal safety and guns are glorified in the Wild West and frontier culture, Bonnie & Clyde.... and personal honour. You're not a real man if you don't blast the burglar's brain on the carpet and wipe your face of his brain matter. DON'T TREAD ON ME!

Europeans associate guns with war, fear, hate, oppression, dictatorships and insecurity. And until recently most European countries had common conscription. Generations were thought how to use hi-power assault weapons, machine guns, recoilless rifles and so on. We learnt that guns aren't cool, they are scary.

Last edited by Rozenn; 08-11-2016 at 04:37 AM.. Reason: Orphaned

Old 08-10-2016, 06:14 AM

I want to have hard stats. I want to see a clear trend. I don't want to read columns from idiots like Ann Coulter or read articles from awful newspapers like Daily Fail, which helds no journalistic standards.

What I know is that the prison population, homicides and assault have been on the drop in Europe since 2008.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:16 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,250 times
Aren't Black, Southern-Central Americans, Asians and Middle Easterners also American? Why shouldn't they be counted in a nationwide stat? The fact that a situation such as that one exists speaks volumes of how discrimination is instilled in the average American's (especially if they vote Republican) mind and in your institutions.

And i won't take you seriously as long as you link to the worst of tabloids

Old 08-10-2016, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanka-katarnikova View Post
No need to monitor my opinion there Ariete...

The second amendment was written during a time when America was like the wild west.... They had just gained independence, most people lived in farms and isolated rural settings and they were often raided by thugs (Bonnie and Clyde types) who'd come and steal everything, plus British soldiers who'd come and take it all. (Guns made sense back then, how else were you going to defend your property and yourself?)

But times have changed.... We no longer have a gun that shoots a bullet and then needs to be reloaded... we have AK 47 and other types of guns capable of killing 50 people in less than 30 seconds!!

The average American has access to an arsenal of weapons, and it is a FRIGHTENING IDEA THAT ANYONE REGARDLESS OF THEIR MENTAL STATE CAN WALK INTO A STORE A BUY A HAND GRENADE OR AN AK47!

Guns represent freedom to a few (the dumber of the American people)..... I know plenty of Americans who are absolutely against gun ownership! Even black Americans who want guns out of their communities because of all the damage they cause to their youth!
Exactly, a good chunk of America's current problems lie with their terribly outdated Constitution which no one has wanted to change because of the conservativism that runs rampant in the country. I will never understand the "Our Constitution is the most beautiful so it shouldn't be changed" kind of men, either in my country or outside of it, because constitutions are meant to represent the current times so they must be changed as a country evolves

Old 08-10-2016, 06:24 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,332,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I want to have hard stats. I want to see a clear trend. I don't want to read columns from idiots like Ann Coulter or read articles from awful newspapers like Daily Fail, which helds no journalistic standards.

What I know is that the prison population, homicides and assault have been on the drop in Europe since 2008.
Gosh I am not a statistical officer, I just know what I see, read, experience and what I am told. And from what all the articles indicate, crime is increasing, even if some people do not want that to be reality.

The prison pouplation may only be decreasing becasue police is helpless and judges are not hard enough, therefore too many criminals are still on the road instead of imprisoned. For Germany I have reliable sources that violent crime and theft, burglary increased during the last years. ALL articles are saying the same. The chance that the criminals are caught is just too low though.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:25 AM

Quote:
No need to monitor my opinion there Ariete...

The second amendment was written during a time when America was like the wild west.... They had just gained independence, most people lived in farms and isolated rural settings and they were often raided by thugs (Bonnie and Clyde types) who'd come and steal everything, plus British soldiers who'd come and take it all. (Guns made sense back then, how else were you going to defend your property and yourself?)

But times have changed.... America is no longer a freshly born nation trying to get itself together..... they have a police force, security, and a government that rules well..... Plus We no longer have a gun that shoots a bullet and then needs to be reloaded... we have AK 47 and other types of guns capable of killing 50 people in less than 30 seconds!!

The average American has access to an arsenal of weapons, and it is a FRIGHTENING IDEA THAT ANYONE REGARDLESS OF THEIR MENTAL STATE CAN WALK INTO A STORE A BUY A HAND GRENADE OR AN AK47!

Guns represent freedom to a few (the dumber of the American people)..... I know plenty of Americans who are absolutely against gun ownership! Even black Americans who want guns out of their communities because of all the damage they cause to their youth!
I only mentioned that it has nothing to do with self-defence in Europe...

Yes, there was a complete different world. You needed guns to control your slaves, you had to protect your property from road agents, and also you had to keep the Native Americans in check. But those days are long gone, but the perverted attitude has remained.

Well if it's a Norinco AK, then it's probably not possible. It will jam or break before you've gotten that many bullets fired.

How is it over there? Do people generally hate guns because of the history of cartels and gangs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Exactly, a good chunk of America's current problems lie with their terribly outdated Constitution which no one has wanted to change because of the conservativism that runs rampant in the country. I will never understand the "Our Constitution is the most beautiful so it shouldn't be changed" kind of men, either in my country or outside of it, because constitutions are meant to represent the current times so they must be changed as a country evolves
Yes, and I love this: "without guns the president could just seize dictatorial powers". Yeah, how many coup attempts in the Netherlands, Denmark, UK and others have we seen in the last 100 years or so?

Old 08-10-2016, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Gosh I am not a statistical officer, I just know what I see, read, experience and what I am told. And from what all the articles indicate, crime is increasing, even if some people do not want that to be reality.

The prison pouplation may only be decreasing becasue police is helpless and judges are not hard enough, therefore too many criminals are still on the road instead of imprisoned. For Germany I have reliable sources that violent crime and theft, burglary increased during the last years. ALL articles are saying the same. The chance that the criminals are caught is just too low though.
What you see, read and are told mostly comes from right wing propaganda from what you have linked (i'm not against anything right wing; for example the difference between the Telegraph and the Daily Mail is staggering despite both being right wing). Once again, you think you have reliable starts or something similar why don't you let us see? Probably because you don't.......................

Old 08-10-2016, 06:52 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,332,782 times
I am NOT reading right-wing propaganda, as you could have noticed I provided a whole bunch of links, of which the most are quickly found on google. Why is it always the strange leftwings who want to discredit people and exclude them from the discussion by insults and other attacks instead of dealing with the pure content and facts?

You can for example download a police report here ( in German): BMI - Nachrichten - Polizeiliche Kriminalstatistik und Fallzahlen Politisch Motivierte Kriminalität 2015 vorgestellt

Number of crimes:
2012 5.997.040
2013 5.961.662
2014 6.082.064
2015 6.330.649

Also one can read that the number of suspects who are not of German original is rocketing to the sky, of some groups it is more than 30% likely that a person becomes a criminal.

I know, it is all a matter of interpretation and now people will come up with new bs to describe why the numbers are just faked, made by right-wing propagandists, and mass immigration from archaic societies will just make Europe more, well, heavenly.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
I know, it is all a matter of interpretation and now people will come up with new bs to describe why the numbers are just faked, made by right-wing propagandists, and mass immigration from archaic societies will just make Europe more, well, heavenly.
If your attitude is this, there's no point in having any kind of discussion with you on this subject.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:57 AM

24,538 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Judges are not harsh enough?

Sure... that's why a helpless 16 year old child in America gets life in prison!

Crime is decreasing all over the planet and that is because more and more people have access to economic security.... once people feel like they have a fair share of the pie they tend to calm down and live peacefully!

INEQUALITY leads to SOCIAL CHAOS which then leads to VIOLENCE
I think it is something along the line of "you do the crime, you do the time".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe