Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 02:16 PM

1,529 posts, read 916,179 times

Advertisements

Dropping tourist income may force french government to reduce overly generous entitlement programs such as unemployment benefits. The resulting strikes are just around the corner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 02:43 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,605,848 times
It will have no effect on that. It's not like tourism is the only income in France.
French economy is very diversified.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:45 PM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
Next year will be election year in France, it will be very interesting the rapid slump of that country into chaos and civil war. resulting from too much Hubris and complacency of the French governing classes for too long.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:54 PM

Chaos and civil war ?
Do we really live in the same France. I think you should get treatment for paranoia.

I was near the Eiffel tower, yesterday night and it was full of tourists.
Maybe less than usual (I don't know I never goes there) but still a lot.

After, I been on the Champs Elysees at midnight. It was full of people and tourists, a monday night.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:01 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,575,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Next year will be election year in France, it will be very interesting the rapid slump of that country into chaos and civil war.
I hope they won't slump into civil war.
All they have to do is to kick back those dangerous foreign members from ISIS who live in the "banlieues".

Old 08-23-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
It will have no effect on that. It's not like tourism is the only income in France.
French economy is very diversified.
Tourism revenues represent 7% of France GDP. A french senior official called it an "industrial disaster". The Paris area alone experienced a decrease of one million visitors for the first six months of this versus last year. There is also the knock-on effect. Hotels, Restaurants, Cafes, Cab Drivers, etc.etc. etc. Good luck.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Chaos and civil war ?
Do we really live in the same France. I think you should get treatment for paranoia.

I was near the Eiffel tower, yesterday night and it was full of tourists.
Maybe less than usual (I don't know I never goes there) but still a lot.
If you never go there how would you know the difference?

Old 08-23-2016, 03:05 PM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
Oh yes, full of thugs, racailles des banlieues, agressive Romanian beggars (whole families), Africans illegally selling plastic souvenirs and forcing it on the tourists, more and more women in islamic garb. And it's so dirty that a group of Japanese volunteered to clan the Trocadéro gardens. If you want to close your eyes on reality, fine, but I live in Paris, everywhere homeless people are camping in the streets, leaving their garbage, pissing and crapping there. Paris is doomed for tourism, my friend.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
I hope they won't slump into civil war.
All they have to do is to kick back those dangerous foreign members from ISIS who live in the "banlieues".
Nothing to worry about.

1) The french win most wars.

2) They are experts of integrating and assimilating immigrants.

3) If all else fails, there are always their good friends from England and the USA to bail them out.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post
Tourism revenues represent 7% of France GDP. A french senior official called it an "industrial disaster". The Paris area alone experienced a decrease of one million visitors for the first six months of this versus last year. There is also the knock-on effect. Hotels, Restaurants, Cafes, Cab Drivers, etc.etc. etc. Good luck.
Hotels, Restaurants, Cafes, Cab Drivers, etc.etc. etc are included in tourism revenues.
Note that employments in tourism tend to be low qualified with lower salary than many other sectors, so I would not exaggerate the side effects.
France is not disneyland, it's a big country with a diverse economy. The overwhelming majority of people don't work in tourism related activities. I live in Paris and I know nobody who work in tourism related economy. Paris' economy is very corporate.

Secondly, even with a decrease. The number of foreign tourist did not fall to zero, there is still a lot of them.
Note that 2/3 of tourism revenues in France is local, it comes from French tourists.

French economy grew during the first half of 2016.
At worst, this may slow the economic growth of 2016 but don't believe that the economy of France is doomed because of a decrease of foreign visitor.

Last edited by Minato ku; 08-23-2016 at 03:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe