Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 08:37 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,864,215 times

Advertisements

thanks, Ihafer. good information. I remember how we felt when starting our new chapter in life here in the states. it is so exciting, but also a struggle.

I even found craigslist, so she can find a job easier, since it's all in english. didn't expect this at all.
job wise it looks like restaurants in tourist areas would be worth a try, since she is fluent in english and german. or maybe some tutoring and/or babysitting.

here in Asheville it is a pain in the $%&#$^ to find a job and minimum wage is 7.25.

is there a minimum wage in the NL at all? how is the jobmarket for students overall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 09:47 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,783,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
haha, her dad wanted to that, too. but she wanted to get some bags so her school stuff will be covered.
Oh well ...

Since she is so much more comfy with on-line stuff, go here:

The largest and most affordable Online Bicycle Bags Shop!

Old 08-25-2016, 11:47 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,248,037 times
Quote:

here in Asheville it is a pain in the $%&#$^ to find a job and minimum wage is 7.25.

is there a minimum wage in the NL at all? how is the jobmarket for students overall?

Here's the minimum wage for 2016 https://www.minimumloon.nl/ that's before taxes, but taxes in that level are extremely low.

There is a job market for students in Amsterdam. Just google "studentenbanen amsterdam" and you will get lots of options. Randstad is one of the biggest job agency (Uitzendbureau) for temporary part time jobs.
Lots of students go there.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:15 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,248,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
I would put a front rack, looks like a milk crate, on the front of her bike, and throw her stuff in there ...
Ah, that's so 2015....

Nowadays people use a "bakfiets". Comes in very handy, you can put your children next to the groceries

https://www.google.nl/search?q=bakfi...aSH9PXe1RXM%3A

Old 08-26-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattledog69 View Post
Here's the minimum wage for 2016 https://www.minimumloon.nl/ that's before taxes, but taxes in that level are extremely low.

There is a job market for students in Amsterdam. Just google "studentenbanen amsterdam" and you will get lots of options. Randstad is one of the biggest job agency (Uitzendbureau) for temporary part time jobs.
Lots of students go there.
thanks, great.

so today she rode over a little bump, lost balance, ran into a wall and dad could offer some live support as in 'how to fix your bike so you can at least push it to the closest store'. since no one wears helmets (troubles me as a german ....) she for sure had a guardian angel or two. not too much blood involved.
love technology! facetiming was a life saver!

Old 08-26-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattledog69 View Post
Ah, that's so 2015....

Nowadays people use a "bakfiets". Comes in very handy, you can put your children next to the groceries

https://www.google.nl/search?q=bakfi...aSH9PXe1RXM%3A
Uhuh, better yet !!

Old 08-26-2016, 11:02 AM

8,868 posts, read 8,338,951 times
All the Albert Heijns I've been to take cash. I've never seen one that doesn't take cash.

And yeah she should definitely get an OV-chipkaart if she's planning to go around the Netherlands. It provides 40% discount from 9 AM or something for trains, and frankly it'd be really annoying to ask for tickets everytime she has to take the bus/tram.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:38 PM

one more question:

where can she find a cheaper movie theater (as in student discounts, 5 bucks tuesday, fine arts theater, double feature night, open air screening etc)?

Until she has found a job, she will be on a budget and could not find a ticket under 11 or even 12 euros.

thanks!

overall she is doing great. I asked her today, if she liked her new life and she said, she does not like it - she LOVES it. people, the city, the biking, even the challenges (but has a bank card now), the first week full of cool events, organized by the University - what a release for her family, being so far away
I am still part proud, part excited, part sad and part jealous

Old 09-02-2016, 02:20 AM

Quote:
what a release for her family, being so far away
If you (and she) do not mind, put *Where is my Droid* on her phone (if she has a Droid phone) and *follow* her on her excursions. Then go to Google Earth and *see* what she sees ...

There maybe something similar for an I-phone ?

Old 09-02-2016, 11:09 AM

I forgot to mention that after a while, she will find that the Dutch are: (with tongue in cheek ...)

abrupt, bad-mannered, barbaric, blunt, brusque, cheeky, crude, curt, direct, discourteous, forthright, frank, graceless, gruff, honest, ignorant, impolite, inconsiderate, insulting, intrusive, matter-of-fact, open, outspoken, plain, point-blank, raw, refreshing, rude, sincere, straightforward, surprising, uncouth or unmannerly.

It actually makes those people the most delightful people she will ever meet in her life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe