Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 05:22 PM
TKO TKO started this thread

4,153 posts, read 4,275,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mille-electronics View Post
I used to work with this very strongly obsessed with his Mexican roots California woman who finished her degree on Latin American studies and moved to Mexico to become a teacher, and when she got there, she not only suffered major culture shock but she told me Mexicans generally referred to her as "the American teacher".
That's a good story. My dad grew up as an American in Mexico from 8 years old to graduating college and says he never felt like a part of the country even after that long.

I'll reiterate though, that while the vast majority of Americans feel American as I do, an interest in our past comes not from a desire to belittle others or prop up ourselves but just because we don't have a long history like natives of a country (or geographic area) going back 1000's of years do. The American sense of identity is still being formed in some respect partly because we're still changing in a big way and also because it's just human nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 05:30 PM

136 posts, read 129,375 times
Another interesting fact is how much more educated Europeans are today compared to before. When Europeans were leaving Europe by the millions, the average European was illiterate, average European woman had 8 or 9 kids.

I read that on Ellis island in NYC they had inspectors who checked the arrivals because many were infested with lice, or skin diseases that were contagious, tons of people with leprosy, many had no teeth, the average couldn't read or write, many were very malnourished and were desperate to make it to North or South America which were back then almost empty lands with better weather and opportunities to build something in a hemisphere that was almost empty and on the process of building!

I was shocked to find out in many parts of Europe even in the early 20th century only the rich could read and write, and speaking Latin and owning books meant you were part of the upper classes.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:32 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,239,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
That's a good story. My dad grew up as an American in Mexico from 8 years old to graduating college and says he never felt like a part of the country even after that long.

I'll reiterate though, that while the vast majority of Americans feel American as I do, an interest in our past comes not from a desire to belittle others or prop up ourselves but just because we don't have a long history like natives of a country (or geographic area) going back 1000's of years do. The American sense of identity is still being formed in some respect partly because we're still changing in a big way and also because it's just human nature.
Actually most of human identity that we know today is actually quite new. A majority of European nations formed their identity in the 18th and 19th centuries often doing it in a very forced manner. In the past a person's identity was most often connected to their hometown or a specific providence and not so much connected to what we would consider to be a national identity. That said, the American identity is very interesting and what Americans have accomplished as a group is incredible.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:43 PM

136 posts, read 129,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Actually most of human identity that we know today is actually quite new. A majority of European nations formed their identity in the 18th and 19th centuries often doing it in a very forced manner. In the past a person's identity was most often connected to their hometown or a specific providence and not so much connected to what we would consider to be a national identity. That said, the American identity is very interesting and what Americans have accomplished as a group is incredible.
Come to think of it, you're right! The US is actually older than most European countries!

European identity was specially shaped after WWI which is when many empires disappeared, or ancient kingdoms vanished, or special territories lost part of their land.

Before WWII Eastern Europe for example was very heterogeneous, which is not the case today. Eastern Europe in the past was a melting pot of ethnic groups sometimes fighting each other! Western Europe had empires all over the planet, most of Germany was in Prussia, the capital of Belarus was poland and half of the big cities in Poland were East Prussia. Hamburg was still a hanseatic city, Alsace was not in France, Transilanya was part of Hungary and Slovakia was half in Czech republic and in Hungary. Then they had the Brilliant idea of forcing a bunch of different ethnic groups into forming one nation called Yugoslavia! Italy was pretty much two countries (non officially but pretty visible). Austria and Hungary were one political entity, Parts of Northern Italy were in Yugoslavia, Romania was half of what it is today, Kaliningrad Russia was a German city.

Europe has changed so much!

Old 08-26-2016, 06:27 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
It's surprising how poor Europe was just over 80 years ago!

I can only imagine how depressing it must have been trying to survive in January 1929 in the middle of the winter, in some damp gloomy Irish slum, or dark cold Norwegian mining town.

It's no wonder Europeans left to North and South America in such vast numbers!
Have you seen how NYC looked like in 1900? Half of Manhattan was a huge slum.

Quote:
Ireland for example was as poor as a poor African nation. Sweden too.
Definitely not. Sweden was richer in 1900 than many African countries are today.

Quote:
I was shocked to find out in many parts of Europe even in the early 20th century only the rich could read and write, and speaking Latin and owning books meant you were part of the upper classes.
Latin was not a thing in the 20th century. Scandinavia, Germany, Austria, the Netherlands and Britain had achieved 100% literacy by 1900. In France some 80% could read and write.

You exaggerate.

Quote:
Come to think of it, you're right! The US is actually older than most European countries!

European identity was specially shaped after WWI which is when many empires disappeared, or ancient kingdoms vanished, or special territories lost part of their land.

Before WWII Eastern Europe for example was very heterogeneous, which is not the case today. Eastern Europe in the past was a melting pot of ethnic groups sometimes fighting each other! Western Europe had empires all over the planet, most of Germany was in Prussia, the capital of Belarus was poland and half of the big cities in Poland were East Prussia. Hamburg was still a hanseatic city, Alsace was not in France, Transilanya was part of Hungary and Slovakia was half in Czech republic and in Hungary. Then they had the Brilliant idea of forcing a bunch of different ethnic groups into forming one nation called Yugoslavia! Italy was pretty much two countries (non officially but pretty visible). Austria and Hungary were one political entity, Parts of Northern Italy were in Yugoslavia, Romania was half of what it is today, Kaliningrad Russia was a German city.

Europe has changed so much!
Uhm, you want to check your history and a map from 1918 maybe...

Old 08-26-2016, 06:31 PM

1,529 posts, read 915,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Can you explain to me what an American identity is, and what is so incredible they have accomplished as a group?

Old 08-26-2016, 06:31 PM

820 posts, read 953,491 times
" Alsace was not in France, "

Alsace has always been in France.
Alsace were German only during 40 years...
French borders haven t changed a lot during the last 2000 years.

Last edited by amaroW; 08-26-2016 at 06:44 PM..

Old 08-26-2016, 06:35 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,577,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
I've wondered what modern Europeans think, in general, of people from their country who left en mass for faraway places in the past? Were they the crazy ones who left? The troublemakers? The entrepreneurs? The sellouts who couldn't hack hard times?

Maybe you don't think much about them at all. I know in general Americans, the ones with European ancestry anyway, think about Europe a fair bit. One look at CD demonstrates that.

I myself traveled to the German town that shares my families name (more accurately from whence my families name came) and the people there I spoke with seemed kind of nonchalant about it. Surprised even, that I was interested enough to travel that far. Truthfully there was a lot more to my agenda that trip. But I went a fair distance out of my way to see it and take a picture with the Willkommen sign.

I enjoyed the really good beer, wonderful schnitzel and the picturesque scenery. My feelings weren't hurt or anything and perhaps they were just reserved, as I was a stranger, so I ask in this less formal setting.
They were probably happy to get rid of us. We were the poor ones with adjustment issues or religious fervor.

Personally, I don't ever think about it. I like Europe and the UK but I never once gave a thought to my past connections there.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:31 PM

1,529 posts, read 915,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroW View Post
" Alsace was not in France, "

Alsace has always been in France.
Alsace were German only during 40 years...
French borders haven t changed a lot during the last 2000 years.
Wrong, wrong,wrong.

Elsass-Lothringen was not always part of France. That area has been bounced back and forth for 2000 years
between what we now call Germany and France.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:41 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,239,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post
Can you explain to me what an American identity is, and what is so incredible they have accomplished as a group?
The American identity is rooted in the belief in the idea of America. Unlike most of the planet who conceptualize their identity through ethnicity or religion. The American identity is united through the implementation of an idea.

Americans contribution to art, science, sport and technology over the last 200 years is almost without comparison. As a people Americans have created some of the best universities in the world. Have taken home 48% of all the Nobel Prizes in the sciences while making up only 5% of the worlds population. A limitless amount of technological innovation including the airplane, the transistor, the internet, skyscrapers etc. Americans are the only people to have sent a man to the moon and have also sent a machine beyond the reaches of the universe. We wouldn't be here discussing things on this forum if it had not been for many very smart American people. This is not to say that there has not been many great contributions for peoples around the world. But Americans have earned their right to be very proud and their is no denying that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe