Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 11:04 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,294 times

Advertisements

Please, mooseketeer,I know we disagree on this issue but will you read this article? Pay special attention to the bottom where it compares deaths from all our power sources as well as info on cumulative years of reactor operation.

Safety of Nuclear Power Reactors

It's also worth quoting "It should be emphasised that a commercial-type power reactor simply cannot under any circumstances explode like a nuclear bomb"

I have done my research and it seems most knowledgeable sources and people not influenced by the crowd seem to agree with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
Interesting, in the US everyone thinks that nuclear reactors explode often, like Chernobyl, and cause all kinds of nasty side effects. Wish we had your sense in this field. Thanks for your feed back.
Exactly, too many sheeplike americans hear what they are told by Hollywood and think nuclear energy is bad. They probably think reactors can explode like a bomb! sheer stupidity.

Aren't they planning on building more plants in the U.S.? I heard something about building in my home state of South Carolina but it was a while ago.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:12 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
True, we haven't been nuclear for that long, but does that mean we should shrink back in fear? No, the longer we work at it, it will become even safer. I'm sorry, but I think you (and many others) have been mislead by the media and popular culture into thinking nuclear power is dangerous. You say we don't understand it yet, and while neither of us do, the people that matter understand enough to use it. That's why there are hundreds of plants worldwide going along without a hitch. Don't forget the dozens of American and British nuclear submarines that harness nuclear power in such a small space.

You say we are using up resources like there is no tomorrow which only makes the nuclear option more appealing. To derive all our power from wind, wave, biofuels, etc like you mentioned would be extremely costly.

I think all that green power is just a pipe dream. Nuclear power is far more cost efficient as damages the environment very little if we handle the waste properly.

As I said before even nuclear physicists I have spoken to seem to have some serious questions about the issue.

I occasionally go to scientific lectures on the issue at Oxford university and it seems there are plenty of brainy scientists out there who are less than convinced about Nuclear wisdom. Strangely often it seems to be the ones not working for the industry.

I have not been misled by the media. Most of the media is pro-nuclear. It seems to me the huge political nuclear lobby has misled the general public which is why most people accept it without any opposition.

No offence but I think you have been misled.

I have thought and researched this for years and I have yet to see something which tells me it's safe.

As for "green" energy , I believe it is still not a perfect solution to all our requirements but purely because very little investment and extensive research has been truly done on it.
If we had spent as much on green energy as we have spent on fossil fuels, and nuclear maybe it would be a much more obvious alternative.

And I believe it still is. It's all about a combination of methods and increasing energy efficiency as well. And of course reducing our intake.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
As I said before even nuclear physicists I have spoken to seem to have some serious questions about the issue.

I occasionally go to scientific lectures on the issue at Oxford university and it seems there are plenty of brainy scientists out there who are less than convinced about Nuclear wisdom. Strangely often it seems to be the ones not working for the industry.

I have not been misled by the media. Most of the media is pro-nuclear. It seems to me the huge political nuclear lobby has misled the general public which is why most people accept it without any opposition.

No offence but I think you have been misled.

I have thought and researched this for years and I have yet to see something which tells me it's safe.

As for "green" energy , I believe it is still not a perfect solution to all our requirements but purely because very little investment and extensive research has been truly done on it.
If we had spent as much on green energy as we have spent on fossil fuels, and nuclear maybe it would be a much more obvious alternative.

And I believe it still is. It's all about a combination of methods and increasing energy efficiency as well. And of course reducing our intake.
Well, unfortunately I guess you're entitled to your opinion

You say you go to lectures occasionally at Oxford, but when you said they don't work in the industry, don't you think they might not be quite as knowledgeable as the ones that do? You and I could read volumes on the subject but first-hand experience wins.

What proof that its safe are you looking for? I take it you didnt bother to go to the website I posted because it shows nuclear power is actually quite safe. Can I ask what your specific concerns are about these reactors? Maybe this debate will go somewhere if we talk in specifics. Also, Chernobyl is the only site in history of 12,000 years (I think) of nuclear plant time to have a disaster.

When you say "reducing our intake" what do you mean specifically? Are you talking about us as the consumer? Government?

I think "green" energy sounds interesting but I'm always skeptical of anything that has been all the rage for a year now and "going green" is the "in" thing to do. I will admit we can't go on forever consuming this amount of energy but I think the answer is in nuclear fusion and mining in outer space for the future. Why don't we improve our horizons instead of this boring "green" stuff lol.
I admit I've thought about this stuff too much and have a pretty good plan for our future, but hey everyone has some nerd in them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe