Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 11:42 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,062,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
You just compensate my non-existent contribution to the rising of that value, I'm completely astemia(*). And my sister too.

(* I can't find any translation in English of this word apart "person who doesn't drink alcohol". Is there any word for this? )

Yes, I already know it, I'm a boring person.
We usually say someone is 'teetotal':

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teetotalism

And no, you are not boring, just because you don't drink alcohol. I hardly drink alcohol either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 12:08 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
You should really start, as being drunk is AWESOME!

Old 09-08-2016, 12:09 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,263,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I have many friends who drink beer on a near daily basis though, especially in France. It is super common among younger generations, but then my dad usually drinks a heineken after work (wine is for when you eat).

In Italy I'd say it's a bit less common because there are more drinking options out here.

The wine map is surprising. Actually I drink a lot more wine now that when I lived in France (same for my cheese eating...)
Well, that might be your own experience. And maybe also a question of age. I guess You lived in France when you were younger. I personally really began to drink wine when I was around 25 (I'm near 40 now).

Like most french people I now drink wine with almost every meals. I just happen to have a beer when I go in bars, which means quite not too often now I have children.

I also have the luck to live now in a famous wine growing region where we have so much choice. Wine is definitly a more "adult" thing than beer.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:18 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,329,220 times
Because of laws against wine, I do remember drinking wine with seltz (la casera) when I was seven or so. There was almost no taxes on alcohol and wine was cheaper than mineral water. In any wedding, first communion, etc, they put you a bottle of white wine for fish and a bottle of red wine for meats. There was also a vast supplies of brandies, liquors that were very cheap.

Not long ago, you were served a bottle of wine of regular quality at every menu, now, impossible. So now the country is almost dry compared to neighbours, but the number one wine producer in the world. Real idiotic and of course, the EEC is much to blame.

Why raise the price of alcohol tax -and laws preventing piracy of brands in a country that depends a 15 percent on tourists coming to get drunk! We produced very good whisky, cointreau, every brand and it was very cheap. They want to turn this country in a dry one, those idiotic laws that even want to regulate dining hours and forbid many local festivities like encierros. They want to make a Norway without oil.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:22 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I have many friends who drink beer on a near daily basis though, especially in France. It is super common among younger generations, but then my dad usually drinks a heineken after work (wine is for when you eat).

In Italy I'd say it's a bit less common because there are more drinking options out here.

The wine map is surprising. Actually I drink a lot more wine now that when I lived in France (same for my cheese eating...)
Yeah I feel like most of the French people I know drink beers.

But some of them are just total alcoholics, they would take whatever that contains alcohol.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:37 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,137,674 times
My informed opinion is that Germany has the best warm weather session beers and Belgium has the best cold weather sipping beers.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:49 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,062,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
You should really start, as being drunk is AWESOME!
Who? Because I have been drunk before, believe me. Yeah, it's a laugh at the time but not so good afterwards...

Old 09-08-2016, 04:19 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,290,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
You just compensate my non-existent contribution to the rising of that value, I'm completely astemia(*). And my sister too.

(* I can't find any translation in English of this word apart "person who doesn't drink alcohol". Is there any word for this? )

Yes, I already know it, I'm a boring person.
you mean sober ? I did not drink alcohol from the age of 19 until I was about 29, so I guess everything changes in life. I just had a pignoletto tonight at Bologna's festa dell'unità along with a plate of tortelli di patata and some panzanella

Old 09-08-2016, 04:31 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,290,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Well, that might be your own experience. And maybe also a question of age. I guess You lived in France when you were younger. I personally really began to drink wine when I was around 25 (I'm near 40 now).

Like most french people I now drink wine with almost every meals. I just happen to have a beer when I go in bars, which means quite not too often now I have children.

I also have the luck to live now in a famous wine growing region where we have so much choice. Wine is definitly a more "adult" thing than beer.
Well I think I always viewed wine as a super traditional ritualistic thing and since I did not particularly like it I always drank some for tradition but really as a teen I was more into Cherry coke. Also my dad likes Southern French red wine which is usually really heavy and bitter, so it's not the easiest way to get into it... When I arrived at the university everyone I met was used to drink regularly, so I went along but having little experience and doing it to fit in I usually got sick (but not drunk) at every party, ending up vomiting somewhere. After about a year of that I found out about straight-edge and realized I prefered getting excited with soda and orange juice at punk shows (where people drank beer). Also, refusing to drink was the best way to be different. I was known as the guy carrying a bottle of coke.

It took me a very long time to drink again and start to enjoy being drunk or mildly drunk. I guess I was a super control freak when I was younger. I began to drink again with stuff like walnut wine and martini and stuff like that, or super alcoholic liquors which strangely I prefer. I prefer to drink little but better. With a friend we started doing stuff like limoncello or vov for instance. Now I love Borghetti or Braulio. Italy has a lot of great liquors whereas in France it is quite unknown.

Lately I am really starting to enjoy white wine actually, I prefer its effect on me, it's more about the mid range / treble whereas red wine is more about bass if that makes sense. I am a treble person.

Also, here in Italy a lot of young people get drunk on cheap red wine, so the wine = maturity equation does not compute well here.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:45 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,174 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I agree. Foster's must be the crappiest beer in the world. Maybe after Sol.

It's little wonder smaller breweries producing traditional quality beers are taking over a larger slice of the market in many countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe