Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 6,590 times

Advertisements

This is pretty hypothetical, but out of these cities, which would be the best to live in? I am interested in moving to Europe after college, and I always find myself down to these three places. Stockholm seems to mesh best with my ideas about how society and culture should function, Berlin seems to have some of that along with being a more important city with more jobs and available housing, and Amsterdam seems like a good in-between. I would be interested in hearing some opinions about which is best to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 02:46 PM
ptt

497 posts, read 632,317 times
Berlin is much much bigger than Amsterdam and Stockholm. I personally like a small city feeling both Amsterdam and Stockholm have to offer but Amsterdam is easier to get by with only english while Stockholm is quieter. I would pick Amsterdam.

Old 10-01-2016, 08:54 AM

2 posts, read 6,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt View Post
Berlin is much much bigger than Amsterdam and Stockholm. I personally like a small city feeling both Amsterdam and Stockholm have to offer but Amsterdam is easier to get by with only english while Stockholm is quieter. I would pick Amsterdam.
Thanks for the answer. I honestly don't care too much about getting by with English (I love learning languages and would have plenty of time to do so in advance), but I think I am leaning toward Amsterdam or maybe even Berlin at the moment.

Old 10-01-2016, 12:10 PM

4,499 posts, read 6,309,344 times
Why were you drawn to those cities in the first place? Have you visited any of them? In which industry are you planning to work in?

Old 10-01-2016, 03:26 PM

605 posts, read 664,035 times
Berlin is probably cheaper than either Amsterdam or Stockholm, however both Stockholm and Amsterdam would have a better quality of life as far as employment opportunities and the fact that the latter two are more pro efficient in English.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:20 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,946,559 times
Ive been to both. Berlin is a younger, hipster town. Its alive and vibrant ... but we did run into some scary parts of the city as well as refugees that almost attacked my wife......

I would go to Amsterdam...

Old 10-09-2016, 03:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,097 times
I'd go for Berlin. It's actually the only city out of these three. Nothing against Amster or Stockholm, I like both, but they are just not as big. Each of them is very cosmopolitan. If that is what you crave... Then I'd maybe consider Prague. It's obviously smaller than Berlin, but beautiful and actually number nine in Top Wealthiest Regions of the EU by Eurostat. Ranked higher than Berlin. And Prague is safe. From what I've heard from acquaintances who live in Stockholm, the situation in the center and near the main train station is not very pleasant lately. But I still like Stockholm, especially in summer.

Last edited by iDaniel; 10-09-2016 at 03:36 AM..

Old 10-09-2016, 03:34 PM

102,062 posts, read 106,950,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Why were you drawn to those cities in the first place? Have you visited any of them? In which industry are you planning to work in?
This is a good question. OP, how do you plan to get a job and work visa? Do you have EU-related citizenship?

Berlin seems popular with young people; there's a hip, creative vibe, and cheap housing in the former Soviet section, though salaries/wages are lower than elsewhere in Germany. It's common for young people to rent an apartment together in small groups.

Old 10-11-2016, 03:24 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,317,222 times
You should visit them all and then decide if you haven't been there yet.

Mind that you have to learn the language, so you either have to learn Dutch, German or Swedish. Dutch and German are pretty close to each other. I don't know which language is easiest for native English speakers to learn.

Concerning Sweden, you hear terrible stories about the country, I don't know if it's true, but if, then Sweden might be a totally different country within a few decades, both social and ethnical.

Old 10-11-2016, 05:11 AM

121 posts, read 273,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
You should visit them all and then decide if you haven't been there yet.

Mind that you have to learn the language, so you either have to learn Dutch, German or Swedish. Dutch and German are pretty close to each other. I don't know which language is easiest for native English speakers to learn.

Concerning Sweden, you hear terrible stories about the country, I don't know if it's true, but if, then Sweden might be a totally different country within a few decades, both social and ethnical.
The same counts for germany... I go to mid and little sized cities in Germany and even there it looks like walking in the Middle east or north africa when I hang around the train station.... Netherlands already has 3 cities where the ethbic dutch population are in the minority... Rotterdam, Amsterdam and Den Haag. The 3 countries will change a lot in next decades... And sadly in a wrong way...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe