Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 06:31 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Hier in Hongkong ists bereits Abend, es ist Feiertag und ich bin schwer verkatert... Ich streich die Segel und hau mich aufs Ohr.

In any case, I don't think that the situation in Austria is significantly different than in other countries.
Armer kleiner Kater! Try hair of the dog remedy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 06:34 AM

Native born are a minority in my hometown of 500.000 which is officially 2100 years old.
Someone mentioned no asylum seeker riots in Germany. Read the papers! Somewhat scary. The old Roman method of if yiuncannot kill them out breed them is in full force. Sorry no back stroke for corrections this morning.

Old 10-01-2016, 10:47 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,341,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Native born are a minority in my hometown of 500.000 which is officially 2100 years old.
Someone mentioned no asylum seeker riots in Germany. Read the papers! Somewhat scary. The old Roman method of if yiuncannot kill them out breed them is in full force. Sorry no back stroke for corrections this morning.
Which city are you talking about?

Old 10-01-2016, 11:31 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Native born in my home city is around 45%. I find it somewhat troublesome because the newcomers are changing the cityscape forever.

Old 10-01-2016, 12:44 PM

140 posts, read 151,654 times
Immigration is clearly huge problem in many european countries. Best example is Brexit, mostly people voted against immigrants from new member states - so called Eastern Europeans/including Gypsies/ they never had such Gypsy problem before many Romanian, Bulgarian, Slovak Gypsies came there, just like against Poles, Lithuanians, Romanians and so on taking ,,their jobs,, and working for less thanks to free movement of people and labour force inside EU.

This is specific British case, when Murdoch media made huge antimigration campaign...

Generally speaking most of European countries have problems with immigration/western to be specific/ - not eastern - those countries have actually problem with emmigration/which as big problem as immigration for western countries, but rarely discussed.

Currently there is not single 1 European country with TFR above 2.1 so we are all ,,dying out,, well Turkey is above that barely, but I don´t count them to Europe(Turkey being unique eurasian country) and than France has highest TFR with around 2 for years - like from 2,01 to 1.97 in last few years or so, UK also has like 1.9 i think and few others with many under 1.5 - even 1.3 or so - southern Europe, but also Slovakia, Poland and so on.

In case of UK and France as nations with highest TFR rates in Europe, it is combination of better policy i guess and also immigrants and 2nd generation immigrants and so on who have higher TRF numbers, there are statistics for foreign born people that have higher TFR rates than native born in both France/UK and also we must look at those natve born with immigrant background having higher rates than those without migration background - nice example are French overseas departments that are integral part of French republic an their rates are clearly higher than Metropolitane France has.

Obviously Spain, Italy, Portugal or Slovakia, Poland have ridicolously low TFR numbers in 1.25 to 1.4 i believe with factors like huge unemployment, emmigration of younger fertile generation to other countries and so on/in cases of Spain or Italy foreigners are taking those numbers up.

In Germany 21% of births last year were to foreign mother/citizenship(Destatis), in case of Italy it was 20% for at least 1 foreign parent(ISTAT), similar in Spain(INE), in UK 28% i think foreign born mother(ONS) and in France it was also like 25 to 30% to at least 1 foreign born parent.(INSEE).

So birth rates across Europe are crazy low and this is problem for future generation and european governments are doing NOTHING to fix this, their only response is immigration and more immigration to fix this.

To immigration, major cities in developed countries are very mixed, Amsterdam is over 50% of non dutch origin, Brussels is majority of foreign background, London was 44.89% white British in 2011 census, in Paris region above 40% of people had at least 1 foreign grandparent/in 2006 or so, and 51.6% of newborns there have at lest 1 foreign born parent./2014

Vienna has half of population with migration background, Frankfurt almost half, Zurich over half, major Scandinavian cities are slowly going there too, except Helsinki still not so immigrant city compared to Olso, Stockholm, Malmo or Copenhagen.

So yes major western cities are slowly changing and indigenous population is in minority or soon to be minority - for countries it get more complicated with more people in rural areas and hardly people with foreign background in villages, so whole countries are not even close to lose majority, but specific regions like aglomeration of London, Paris, Brussels, other major dutch, belgian, british, french or german cities people of foreign background are either in majority or will be in less a decade.(which is predictable based on share of newborns with foreign background, deaths of old ,, native people,, and ongoing immigration)

UK or France had people from their colonies for at least 2 centuries in very limited numbers, than after WW2 Windrush happened and recruitment of people from Caribbean/mostly Jamaica, than 1947 parition of India and many South Asians came.

France had Maghrebis, before that Italians and Poles in interwar period and later Italians, Spaniards in 50s, Portuguese in 60s and 70s, also since 60s recruitment of labour workers from their overseas departments/Guadaloupe, Martinique/ to Metropolitan France,Turkey, later West Africans, SouthEast Asians and so on.

Netherlands had guest worker treaties with southern Europe and Morocco and Turkey, later in 70s Surinamese came and Antilleans. I forgot at late 40s and independence of Indonesia when many people fled to the Netherlands/many with Dutch ancestry or mixed, Mollucans and so on.

Belgium - labour treaties - Morocco, Turkey, Italy, later people from Africa came/Congo and other french speaking Africa and Europeans generally to Brussels(which has unique place as city in Europe, NATO and EU)

Germany- guest workers - 50s - Italians, Spaniards, Greeks, 60s - Turks, Yugos, since than people from former Soviet Union and lately from new EU member states

Spain and Portugal opened up to immigrants much later, because of their regimes and weak economy, Italy similar case, they don´t have such strong 2nd and 3rd generation migrants like UK, France, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands have.

Scandinavia also opened up later - Sweden mostly to refugees, in 70s Finns came n large numbers, Norway and Denmark had also labour treaties with Turkey, Pakistan, Yugoslavia and some refugees. Norway also experienced massive immigration from Poland, Lithuania and so on under EEU free movement.

Austria - similar case with guest workers from Turkey, Yugoslavia later Yugo wars and now people from neighbouring countries - basically from former Habsburg territories.

Now thanks to EU free movement some countries experienced large immigration in last decade and something - Ireland, UK, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Spain and Italy get a lot of people from poorer eastern states.

Russia is also special case with huge immigration from Central Asia, in 90s South Caucasus and also some Asians there/East Asians

So to OP´s question Europe´s demography is changing with massive immigration that happened after WW2/Europe needed labour after it was destroyed and for obvious reasons there was shortage of men....

Now immigration is either intra European from poorer states to richer states or from other continents mostly thanks to reunification - there are strong communities like Magrebis and West africans in France, South Asians in the UK and so on. Those people came decades ago under some special conditions and now their families are coming.Also many students.

For example Germany received much more immigrants lately from EU than outside EU/ actually more Turks emmigrating to Turkey than coming to Germany/ similar case is US with Mexicans lately/.

UK - had close balance with half from EU immigrants lately and half outside EU/Africans, South Asians.

France - majority is outside of EU - Maghreb and West and Central Africa.

Sweden - majority came also from non-EU countries in last years - not counting this refugee wave in case of Sweden and Germany.

So immigration is huge problem, with politicians not doing enough in this department, major european cities are changing.

Birth rates are horribly low and really there is no plan for this and we will have huge problems in 2, 3 decades.

Post communist countries are also specific case with low birth rates and basically no immigration except of few countries.

Czechia - many immigrants considering former communist past, Hungary - ethnic Hungarians coming in, Slovenia- from ex-Yugo immigration, Poland - last 3 years experienced massive Ukrainians wave and Russia is special case which I mentioned earlier.

Rest of the countries - low birhrates, high emmigration - crazy to think about demography in 2050 for most ,,eastern states,,

So there is aspect of muslim immigration/and 2nd and 3rd generation in some of western countries and than topic of ,,Eastern Europeans,, taking jobs in other countries in any case there is a lot of discussion on this topic across basically every state, either you have huge emmigration and low birth rates or you have low birth rates and huge immigration or you have only huge immigration/but from culturally different regions of the world/ i can´t imagine about single 1 country in Europe where migration patterns are not among major topics / including fertility rates

Last edited by Mibazn; 10-01-2016 at 01:10 PM..

Old 10-01-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
Wieso, ist doch zwölf Uhr mittags

I think Austria is better off than the rest of Western Europe, maybe you can deal better with foreigners (especially Muslims) given the multi-ethnic past of Austro-Hungary.
Austria is among countries with highest share of people that are foreign born. Habsburg history has really nothing to do with it, but for example Vienna was multiethnical/not multicuktural century ago when 1/4 were Czechs and Moravians and another maybe 1/5 Hungarians, Slovaks, Poles, Croats and so on, not counting Jews who were not immigrants at that time.

That are few factors in case of Austria - majority are from ,, neighbouring,, european countries that have similar culture to Austria and less muslims than in some other western states and also not such strong 2nd and 3rd generation. Turks and Bosniaks and Albanians came relatively later to Austria as guest workers comparing to some other western states

Old 10-01-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mibazn View Post
Austria is among countries with highest share of people that are foreign born. Habsburg history has really nothing to do with it, but for example Vienna was multiethnical/not multicuktural century ago when 1/4 were Czechs and Moravians and another maybe 1/5 Hungarians, Slovaks, Poles, Croats and so on, not counting Jews who were not immigrants at that time.

That are few factors in case of Austria - majority are from ,, neighbouring,, european countries that have similar culture to Austria and less muslims than in some other western states and also not such strong 2nd and 3rd generation. Turks and Bosniaks and Albanians came relatively later to Austria as guest workers comparing to some other western states
K&K encompassed a lot of what you are describing as immigrants. They were subjects not guest workers.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
K&K encompassed a lot of what you are describing as immigrants. They were subjects not guest workers.
If you mean migrants in Vienna in early 20th century/what i was talking about/ than those people were internal migrants from different regions or crownlands moved to Vienna.

I used word guest workers for Turks and Yugos(Bosniaks and Albanians), because I was talking about muslims in Austria and those people came in 60s to70s as guest workers.

Old 10-01-2016, 08:18 PM

81 posts, read 183,294 times
So i guess regardless if a country had immigration or not, the native white population was going to decline anyway? Are many immigrants, specifcally form africa and the middle east integrating at all? By that i mean learning the language, maybe marrying outside of their marriage, losing the burka? I'm actually really curious to see whats going on in many European countries. I have only been to Portugal which has barely any muslims in the country so not sure if they are seen in a positive or negative light.

Old 10-01-2016, 08:52 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,341,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.C.H View Post
So i guess regardless if a country had immigration or not, the native white population was going to decline anyway? Are many immigrants, specifcally form africa and the middle east integrating at all? By that i mean learning the language, maybe marrying outside of their marriage, losing the burka? I'm actually really curious to see whats going on in many European countries. I have only been to Portugal which has barely any muslims in the country so not sure if they are seen in a positive or negative light.
I saw only one woman in Vienna who wore a niqab and wasn't a tourist. Coincidently, she always took the same subway I took to work. No idea where she was heading. I was kinda surprised that she didn't have a minder nearby. As far as burqas are concerned, I have yet to see one.

Speaking about integration, I'd say it generally depends on the country the immigrant is from and how established the community is in Austria. Turks and Bosnians are usually well integrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe