Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 04:46 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
Paris has the same abysmal quality of life than London or New York. I don't see the difference between Paris and the other cities.
Paris is not as expensive as London and New York, and it doesn't have any many billionaires either. It is easy to find such stats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 06:04 AM
F18

542 posts, read 529,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Paris is not as expensive as London and New York, and it doesn't have any many billionaires either. It is easy to find such stats.
I know but what does that have to do with the quality of life in a city? My point was that Paris has the same kind of problems (stress, expensive housing, tensions, crime, huge inequality between incomes) as the other two cities. Just because its not a financial center it doesn't mean that it doesn't have problems.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:13 AM

820 posts, read 953,803 times
Paris has one of the highest quality of life In the world. London and NYC are not even in the international ranking for quality of life.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:40 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
Good old amarow, always here for a bit of fun!

Old 12-29-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I know but what does that have to do with the quality of life in a city? My point was that Paris has the same kind of problems (stress, expensive housing, tensions, crime, huge inequality between incomes) as the other two cities. Just because its not a financial center it doesn't mean that it doesn't have problems.
you can check those rankings. For example this one (EIU) ranks Paris as 5th and London at 22nd and NYC 23rd in terms of liveability.

http://pages.eiu.com/rs/eiu2/images/EIU_BestCities.pdf

Of course one can say rankings are useless. To me, there are really plenty of reasons why Paris is far more liveable than London or NYC. For example excellent French healthcare system, beautiful city and achitecture, outstanding public transit (let's be honest, NYC's subway system reminds me of hell if it exists). Paris is also smaller and better managed.

Let's put it this way, you will earn A LOT more in London/NYC to enjoy the same quality of life in Paris. And even with all the money, the ugliness of London and New York can't be compensated for. People put the latter higher only because they feel more comfortable with English speaking cities.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Good old amarow, always here for a bit of fun!
and good old pigeonhole for whom any argument in favor of France is intolerable.
Pot meets kettle.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:53 AM
F18

542 posts, read 529,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
you can check those rankings. For example this one (EIU) ranks Paris as 5th and London at 22nd and NYC 23rd in terms of liveability.

http://pages.eiu.com/rs/eiu2/images/EIU_BestCities.pdf

Of course one can say rankings are useless. To me, there are really plenty of reasons why Paris is far more liveable than London or NYC. For example excellent French healthcare system, beautiful city and achitecture, outstanding public transit (let's be honest, NYC's subway system reminds me of hell if it exists). Paris is also smaller and better managed.

Let's put it this way, you will earn A LOT more in London/NYC to enjoy the same quality of life in Paris. And even with all the money, the ugliness of London and New York can't be compensated for. People put the latter higher only because they feel more comfortable with English speaking cities.
The public transport is not as good as everyone like to portray. Besides the beauty of a city is completely irrelvant and useless when measuring quality of life. There are plenty of beautiful cities around the world however many of them are not the best places to live. In addition very few people care or live within the beautiful areas of Paris as the city just like any other has its bad parts and most people live in the suburbs which are far from being beautiful or having a beautiful achitecture.
Paris is nearly as expensive as London so to enjoy a good lifestyle you need nearly as much money as you would on London.

Old 12-29-2016, 01:18 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,325,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
is Zurich considered more of a financial hub than London? No.
Yes.

Old 12-29-2016, 02:14 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,380,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Yes.
Could you expand on that?

Old 12-29-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
The public transport is not as good as everyone like to portray. Besides the beauty of a city is completely irrelvant and useless when measuring quality of life. There are plenty of beautiful cities around the world however many of them are not the best places to live. In addition very few people care or live within the beautiful areas of Paris as the city just like any other has its bad parts and most people live in the suburbs which are far from being beautiful or having a beautiful achitecture.
Paris is nearly as expensive as London so to enjoy a good lifestyle you need nearly as much money as you would on London.
you are kidding.

First of all, rent is about 70% higher in London than in Paris. Public transit is 150% higher in London. It is not even comparable.

second, if you don't care about beauty of cities and don't think they are a big factor in "quality of life", then we are not talking in the same language. It is not just about architecture, it is also about every detail in life.

In terms of public transit, London and Paris are probably equally excellent. NYC's subway system is third world-ish. I cringe at the idea of having to take the NYC subway every day. I deeply sympathize those who have to suffer that regularly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe