Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2017, 07:02 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,332,049 times

Advertisements

I do not use public transport for daily commute, so I have too check the costs for each single ride, when I go somewhere 5-6 times a month. I can walk to office actually, at the moment.

I remember that public transport in Helsinki was quite nice and affordable when I visited there last time. I arrived at Hernessari Heliport with Copterline from Tallinn, which unfortunately isn't operating anymore. Was nice to take the Chopper for a very reasonable price. On the way back, I went to HEL airport.

Have to say that VRR area is a very negative role model for public transport in Germany, most other areas aren't as bad or expensive. Berlin is quite reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 07:06 AM

1,147 posts, read 717,904 times
Apparently Americans think public transport is for lower income people.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:08 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,799,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
I do not use public transport for daily commute, so I have too check the costs for each single ride, when I go somewhere 5-6 times a month. I can walk to office actually, at the moment.

I remember that public transport in Helsinki was quite nice and affordable when I visited there last time. I arrived at Hernessari Heliport with Copterline from Tallinn, which unfortunately isn't operating anymore. Was nice to take the Chopper for a very reasonable price. On the way back, I went to HEL airport.

Have to say that VRR area is a very negative role model for public transport in Germany, most other areas aren't as bad or expensive. Berlin is quite reasonable.
Using cash and single payment without a travel card is definitely the most expensive option.

Copterline stopped operating yes, it wasn't a commercial success.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:11 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,115,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Just use Google. Senior monthly pass in my home town runs 140 Euro and has limitations during peak hours. It is cheaper take a cab once a week.

Do you mean Munich?

Prices for the IsarCard60

Valid for the city and adjacent communities: €47.60 or €37.50 (by annual payment)
Valid for the whole metro region: €68.40 or €54 (by annual payment)

It's indeed sad that there are limitations between 6am and 9am. But most seniors doesn't seem to use public transportation before 9am. At least not here in Düsseldorf and the VRR senior ticket doesn't have this limitation.

Where you get the 140 Euro from? This price seems strange.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:31 AM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Because the prices and your attitude "it's dirty, delayed". I have a hard time believing it, as that is not my experience. Either the Zone C must be geographically very big, and you most likely get a lot cheaper if you have a monthly ticket or pass (like 90% of the persons likely have).

Secondly, I'll admit if I turn out to be wrong, but you are pretty much using a lot of cliché stereotypes about Germany and Europe in general, mainly from an American perspective with no more actual insight than a Fox News watcher does who have never set his foot in Europe. "It sucks here, so it sucks there". "Taxes sucked in US, it sucks in Germany". "All left-wingers are cultural marxists".

Well what is your city then so that I can google it? And you are comparing a 20 or 30 day travel with ONE taxi fare once a week?
Monthly tickets only make sense if you exceed the price of individual rides. Are 90% of users of public transportation commuters?

Prices vary from country to country, from transit system to transit system. It also depends on the user. Tourist taken the sights or mother with two toddlers going to the doctor. Hauling groceries for a party by backpack and IKEA bags during commuter times or going to the office with purse and lunch bag.

Thinking about it:
When we lived in DC I had to take the subway and the bus to get to Vernon Ave; about an hour one-way but no bus service to Alexandria outside of commuter hours. Try waiting for several hours at the bus terminal.
It took a bit over an hour to walk from my apartment to my parents' house in Germany. Public transportation - get on a bus, catch a streetcar, change street car to a different lane, catch a bus, walk ten minutes, pay about 5 for the fun not to mention you could have gotten there faster on foot.
There is no public transportation where we live and that is within a state capital. It is almost ten miles to the nearest grocery store. Everything else is what I refer to as "somewhere" besides SO's job. We have sidewalks and pedestrian traffic lights. You can get everywhere on foot.

Going by previous posts and pictures you posted your way of living is different. It may be great for you to have houses backing into alley ways, downtown with little green, having had a delivery job of sorts, ... Others live in different environments and those are great for them.

Personally I found it somewhat disturbing when guides or even other guests in Finland asked us to order alcohol for them at restaurants and act like it was ours. OT but still part of life in Europe.

Last edited by Rozenn; 01-03-2017 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: Orphaned

Old 01-03-2017, 07:35 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,049,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
Apparently Americans think public transport is for lower income people.
We do? Thanks for letting me know. I'll have to remember that the next time I take the train into NYC.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:46 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,799,193 times
Quote:
Monthly tickets only make sense if you exceed the price of individual rides. Are 90% of users of public transportation commuters?

---

Personally I found it somewhat disturbing when guides or even other guests in Finland asked us to order alcohol for them at restaurants and act like it was ours. OT but still part of life in Europe.
I would say it's a considerable amount. And there's options between buying one single ticket with cash and a monthly pass.

Why would the other guests ask you to do that?

Old 01-03-2017, 08:11 AM

18 posts, read 24,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Yes, that is freedom. The individual mentioned above chose his course in life and was free to make other decisions along the way to change the outcome. Taking somebody else's hard earned money to fix the teeth of somebody who chose to ignore his teeth is not freedom.

There have a tiny minority who just lets their teeth decay.
Lots of reasons:
Low IQ
Bad uppbringing, where parents did not care, and now the grown person is affected
Mentally unstable

And, the real persons who needs it and has NO control over it, who might have gum disease, bad genes where tooths are geneticaly bad, accidents where they broke / lost teeth.. etc etc

To cherry pick, and blame the tiny minority who "abuse the system", as the reason why one does not want this system, is going against your own best interest. When instead the WHOLE of society can benefit from publicly funded system, at a far lower price!

In my country, dental care is not subsidiced or public. All private after age of 18.

If you read my prior posts here, I have been to the doctor during the last three years, 18-21 times, 24 times to another psycian, 1 night hospitilazed and monitored by EKG during the night. Total cost each year, in out of pocket money, $240

Two weeks ago, I was at the dentist, because of toothache. They x-rayed and the doctor spent 20 min scraping "something" under my gums.. Cost: $115

Last edited by dmarko; 01-03-2017 at 09:31 AM..

Old 01-03-2017, 10:02 AM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarko View Post
There have a tiny minority who just lets their teeth decay.
Lots of reasons:
Low IQ
Bad uppbringing, where parents did not care, and now the grown person is affected
Mentally unstable

And, the real persons who needs it and has NO control over it, who might have gum disease, bad genes where tooths are geneticaly bad, accidents where they broke / lost teeth.. etc etc

To cherry pick, and blame the tiny minority who "abuse the system", as the reason why one does not want this system, is going against your own best interest. When instead the WHOLE of society can benefit from publicly funded system, at a far lower price!

In my country, dental care is not subsidiced or public. All private after age of 18.

If you read my prior posts here, I have been to the doctor during the last three years, 18-21 times, 24 times to another psycian, 1 night hospitilazed and monitored by EKG during the night. Total cost each year, in out of pocket money, $240

Two weeks ago, I was at the dentist, because of toothache. They x-rayed and the doctor spent 20 min scraping "something" under my gums.. Cost: $115

You did not ask a medical service provider what was done to your body?

For those with no access to insurance or working out plans with individual providers there are always Schools of Dentistry. Faculty supervised students who reached certain levels in class room and clinicals perform services free of charge or for a token.

As far as your list of reasons for bad teeth goes - you forgot one. "I do not want to go to the dentist".

Old 01-03-2017, 10:22 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,115,686 times
Quote:
Most likely yes. I barely see people stamping their tickets. You can also buy 4er or 10er tickets to get lower prices for one way tickets. Buying single one way tickets is indeed not cost efficient.

Quote:
It took a bit over an hour to walk from my apartment to my parents' house in Germany. Public transportation - get on a bus, catch a streetcar, change street car to a different lane, catch a bus, walk ten minutes, pay about 5 for the fun not to mention you could have gotten there faster on foot.
That's an extreme example and very questionable whether it's true. You have even asserted that a senior ticket in your home town (Munich?) would cost 140 Euro. That's completely absurd. It cost 68.40 Euro.
In most parts of Düsseldorf I'm faster by using mass transit instead of using the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe