Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More "intense" feeling city?
Madrid 10 71.43%
Milano 4 28.57%
Tie 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 05:21 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times

Advertisements

More "intense" feeling city (structural density, population density, congestion, size, scale): Madrid or Milano?

I have never been to Milano, I don't know off first hand experience how it would compare but on paper these two seem to be an appropriate match. Both anchor metropolises of over 7 million people. Both experience high structural density and population density levels, and staggering human population traffic on its streets and walkways.

Which one feels like a much more intense city though? By size, scale, scope, congestion, structural density, human population density, infrastructure (railways, roadways, airports), geographic barriers, so on and so forth.

Madrid:

https://i.vimeocdn.com/video/4775511...0&mh=1080&q=70

OR

Milano:

http://www.lifegate.com/app/uploads/...-dal-cielo.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 06:49 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,813,609 times
Lived for 6 months in Madrid and lived in Bologna for a year (with frequent trips to Milan).

Madrid is by far the more "intense" city on almost all measures. Milan maybe wins on airports and railways (but only barely since Spain has fantastic infrastructure in general, but Renfe is a lot more expensive than Trenitalia)

Old 01-15-2017, 01:42 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
I should clarify, by airports I meant the aerial view you get of the entire city when you are in the air before or after take off and landing.

I don't know if that's a needle mover in this comparison but yeah, I just wanted to clarify the point.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 01-15-2017 at 01:53 PM..

Old 01-15-2017, 04:18 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,617,674 times
https://www.aeropuertoinfo.com/info-...des-de-europa/

Madrid has the 5th busiest airport in Europe (6th if we count Istanbul as Europe). Just after Heathrow, Charles de Gaulle, Frankfurt & Schiphol-Amsterdam.

About the trains if I don't remember bad Spain is the 2nd country in the world with the biggest extension of High Speed trains, the 1st of Europe. And most of those trains are linked to Madrid.

So from Madrid you can go to barely any big Spanish city in a dozen of minutes/a couple of hours. Madrid offers a more intense feeling of big city.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:15 AM

570 posts, read 604,532 times
Madrid and Milan are not comparable. It is a absurd thread .-They are in different competitions from cities

MADRID WAS Capital of a immense Empire during Centuries in which even Milan was also dependent of madrid

Madrid for its history even today only in Europe it is comparable with the other Capitals of the Great Countries of Europe ,London Paris Berlin.etc
For his Royals Palaces,his extraordinary Museums ,by the millions of visitors of every year of countries of Spanish speech that before were colonies of Spain,By be the Capital politica Financial and Economic of Spain etc etc etc etc.-

Milan is an Regional Capital of industrial character of Great level Economic ,with fame for its fashion designers by its famous Opera etc .But even in art and architecture and as Political Center there are other italian cities much more important than Milan.-

Old 01-16-2017, 04:29 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
"Intense" feeling ... Madrid or Milano?

Naples ... by far.

But between Madrid and Milano, edge to Madrid for sure, for reasons some have already cited.

But urdiales is deliriously shortchanging Milano, it is more than a regional capital and it radiates power and intensity in subtle ways.

Nevertheless, Milano is certainly on the decline along with the rest of Italy over the past 25 years and counting, while Madrid and Spain have been on the relative ascendant over the past 35.

So the former have shortchanged themselves.

Good Luck!

Old 01-16-2017, 05:18 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,328,015 times
Madrid around Atocha
Milan around Galleria...Domo...in general, Madrid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe