Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 11:30 PM

317 posts, read 373,496 times

Advertisements

Having visited both cities, I find the vibe similar. Madrid is larger and seems more cosmopolitan. Athens has the coastline. I found Madrid much more diverse in terms of food and Athens seems to be many Greek restaurants. However part of the cities look similar Retiro Park looks like the National Garden. Athens is cheaper. More English seems to be spoken in Athens than Madrid. Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 01:02 AM

142 posts, read 103,580 times
Spanish people have horrible English but they are helpful.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:30 AM

570 posts, read 604,532 times
The spaniards they speak much better the english than the Americans speak spanish language who speak 500 millions of people.- ja ja.-

But seriously , I will inform you, that all the spanish, until a few years only studied the french in the school .-

Today they study at School english language, and almost all, the students of University even they pass a time in some country, of speak english.-

Some Older people like me that we went students of french language ago years ago,we strive today, in learn some things of english, now.

For that reason my english is very bad, Thing that it is very evident.-

Fortunately as the most young people students of University ,My children speak english language very well.

I hope that soon they are going speak english best a great part of spaniards .-

But you must think you that the ordinary spanish do not have the imperative need to speak english for example as a hungarian or a Swede because the spanish language is spoken by 500 million of people.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:04 AM

Dm landis.-

Madrid is not comparable, Athens is only comparable in Europe to the Capitals of the Great
Countries Paris London,Berlin etc that have been Capitals of Greats Empires for Centuries
and they are for that reason has things that no other city can have.-

The glories of Athens are very ancient and Greece was dominated by for many
Centuries by turkia and that is noted even if it maintains some small remains of its antiquity glory.-

The rest of spanish Empire was lost only 100 years ago.And Madrid preserves buildings like
the Escorial from where I dominated Felipe II half world and the Royal Palace of Orient, that although many may not know it is one and half times greater than the Palaces of Versalles
and Buckinham Palace and are full of works of arts and are the only the Great Palace of Europe
that conserves all its furniture despite ,of the war-.

Precisely Madrid is about to open a large Museum to display a Gigantic Royal collections of treasures in carriages ,watches,extraordinary .jewels today in the immense basements
of the Royal Palace of Orient.-

In Madrid there are 3 Museums only comparable to the big ones of Paris of London

On the other hand Madrid is a Capital of a Country much more populated than Greece
and is communicates by high speed trains and freeways with all Spain as only has Tokyo such magnificent comunications in the World and for that reason its Economic and Social movement is not comparable to Athens etc

Also Madrid in addition it has a phenomenon the tourism mainly of its old Colonies that arrives constantly to Madrid extraordinary.etc etc etc etc etc............................................... ..-

Old 01-22-2017, 09:47 AM

And both Madrid and Athens have lots of fashionable old people in the streets and cafes. But few children.While in the Mudfle East where we live one sees tons of children but few Elders out and about. Perhaps because the elders are all caring for grandkids-)

Old 01-23-2017, 04:15 AM

dmlandis.-

the european Mediterranean countries in this matter we are all the same .We, for the good climate
and the sociability of the people we want live as much as possible in the streets in all the ages ,.

We want to enjoy friends ,nature and gastronomy until the end of the life.-
But Athens and Madrid are very different in many other things.

For example the greeks are of a mentality today very oriental in the trade.

The spaniards we are radically different of the greeks much more in of fixed prices etc etc.-

Please of which country is you ,for best comment with you of this things .-

Old 01-24-2017, 10:46 AM

Since I am a hispanoparlante a Spanish speaker I enjoy Spain. But Greece is nice as well. Both have great food nice people and remind me of California where I come from. Spain is probably better off economically. Both have high petrol prices 1.53 euros a liter vs 40 cents a liter in the Arabian gulf countries.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:28 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,328,015 times
The main attraction of Madrid are "hot, thick chocolate with churros", frget about the rest.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:08 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,960,636 times
Having visited both cities my purely subjective impressions were that Madrid seemed more cosmopolitan, denser with higher buildings and more traffic, often very handsome, and with more with more energy and buzz
. Athens, which I did not dislike, just seemed to look more unattractive or nondescript. However it does have the incomparable Parthenon, the likable Plaka area and the seacoast.

Old 01-28-2017, 03:14 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,486,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karstic View Post
The main attraction of Madrid are "hot, thick chocolate with churros", frget about the rest.
Are you serious??

I think you should go again and make one of those guided tours full of interesting things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe