Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following applies to you?
I am strongly motivated to move to the U.S. for better economic opportunities. 8 9.30%
I might consider moving to the U.S. for better economic opportunities. 14 16.28%
I would not consider moving to the U.S. for better economic opportunities. 64 74.42%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 12:37 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times

Advertisements

I feel like some Americans are so needy for compliments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 12:39 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,301,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordeaux33 View Post
I do not know if US homeless has so much help but erasure videos with American camps are unimaginable with French citizens.
I'm involved with a non profit organization helping families in distress.....if you do not want to end up in a tent in a camp you have choices....

I wish you could take a walking tour of downtown Seattle and get to see our homeless....90% of them have serious substance abuse issues.

In the organization where I volunteer, the beneficiaries of the funds have to prove that the money were used to actually needed items, no drugs or alcohol is tolerated.....you get kicked out otherwise.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:44 PM

387 posts, read 380,149 times
saturno_v : I understand, the two situations of Europe and the USA are different and in both countries this kind of camps should not exist, whether they are composed of its own citizens or foreigners.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:45 PM

263 posts, read 234,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I feel like some Americans are so needy for compliments.
I have come across Americans who do not take criticism well but would talk behind your back. Also when something bothers them, they will more likely just ignore you than tell you straight to your face what is going on. Some even consider it inappropriate and blunt to confront someone directly but ok to appear nice while backstabbing you through sabotage or rumors.

However, I do not think those traits are uniquely American, just human nature.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:53 PM

263 posts, read 234,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordeaux33 View Post
saturno_v : I understand, the two situations of Europe and the USA are different and in both countries this kind of camps should not exist, whether they are composed of its own citizens or foreigners.
The whole world would be better if we could get rid of poverty. But as long as human greed exists, this will never be possible. What we can do is work better together. A good start would be no populist nationalistic movements that divide countries. Next on the list - no wars. Next, put more work into ethics courses in schools to teach young generations to be better and more responsible citizens than their parents.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:01 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chottandrah View Post
American suburbias are breeding ground for sociopaths with little social contact and bored out of their minds people whose lives resume to shopping and work.

I cannot phantom why or how most Americans can spend a lifetime living in those cookie cutter mind numbing places!

omg honestly... not a single soul on the street!

This "SPACE" and "FREEDOM" some Americans go on about it's so overrated!!

I know Americans who live on these HUGE homes with plenty of SPACE and a huge YARD, because suburbias are just so FULL OF SPACE! and you have all this FREEDOM AND SPACE (and the word space gets thrown around so much).

Ironically enough they work all the time so they're never home and when they are, their houses feel enormous and lonely for the three individuals that inhabit them.
Looks like my neighborhood, but yea im sorry but its just a different culture that you obviously dont understand... people all over the world live in different style of communities.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:59 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Quote:
American suburbias are breeding ground for sociopaths with little social contact and bored out of their minds people whose lives resume to shopping and work.

I cannot phantom why or how most Americans can spend a lifetime living in those cookie cutter mind numbing places!

I know Americans who live on these HUGE homes with plenty of SPACE and a huge YARD, because suburbias are just so FULL OF SPACE! and you have all this FREEDOM AND SPACE (and the word space gets thrown around so much).

Ironically enough they work all the time so they're never home and when they are, their houses feel enormous and lonely for the three individuals that inhabit them.
That's an autocentric suburb. There are still many suburbs in America built around rail lines, and many grew organically from towns and villages that were incorporated in the 1600s and 1700s (e.g. many NY suburbs in Westchester). "Freedom and space" refers, mainly, to the country itself, not the homes. Go canyoneering in Utah, camping in Montana, sailing on lake Superior, hiking in the Grand Canyon, dog sledding in Alaska, swimming in the Virgin islands etc and you might get an idea of what freedom and space can mean.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:09 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
^ Yep they call them "streetcar" suburbs, i think they do well in urbanity and walk ability.

plenty of choices in the U.S if you want a urban environment.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8648...8i6656!5m1!1e2

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4835...8i6656!5m1!1e2

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.5931...8i6656!5m1!1e2

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7748...8i6656!5m1!1e2

Old 02-08-2017, 12:56 AM

9,469 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:

I live in a subdivision in a small town and from the air i reckon it looks like the one in your picture. Sociopaths??? Wow that is harsh. I really don't believe that y'all have no subdivisions in Europe. People who live in neighborhoods like this are just regular people. They work, play, raise kids and live thier lives, no different than the rest of the western world.
The "space" we talk about has nothing to do with yards and houses, it has to do with the open country we have here and how we enjoy it. Americans love the outdoors, we hike, fish, hunt, camp, ski, etc. I also think Americans value rural living more than Europeans do as well. Maybe it's because our cities are not as cool as yours are, but whatever the reason we are just different from Europeans in that way.
I suspect you don't particularly like our country and in a free society you have that right. in spite of the fact that it seems we are universally disliked as a nation we get tons of people wishing to immigrate here every year. I guess they are willing to risk turning into "sociopaths" by living in a typical American neighborhood.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:24 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,242,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I live in a subdivision in a small town and from the air i reckon it looks like the one in your picture. Sociopaths??? Wow that is harsh. I really don't believe that y'all have no subdivisions in Europe. People who live in neighborhoods like this are just regular people. They work, play, raise kids and live thier lives, no different than the rest of the western world.
The "space" we talk about has nothing to do with yards and houses, it has to do with the open country we have here and how we enjoy it. Americans love the outdoors, we hike, fish, hunt, camp, ski, etc. I also think Americans value rural living more than Europeans do as well. Maybe it's because our cities are not as cool as yours are, but whatever the reason we are just different from Europeans in that way.
I suspect you don't particularly like our country and in a free society you have that right. in spite of the fact that it seems we are universally disliked as a nation we get tons of people wishing to immigrate here every year. I guess they are willing to risk turning into "sociopaths" by living in a typical American neighborhood.
The hate and jealousy is strong in these Europeans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe