Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following applies to you?
I am strongly motivated to move to the U.S. for better economic opportunities. 8 9.30%
I might consider moving to the U.S. for better economic opportunities. 14 16.28%
I would not consider moving to the U.S. for better economic opportunities. 64 74.42%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 03:00 PM

24,144 posts, read 24,679,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Europe is catching up fast. Outside of murder, which is rare if you're not a gangbanger or drug runner, crime in the US is very similar to that of Europe. This has been discussed and proven out repeatedly here. Germany has a lower rate of crime in most categories, the UK, France, Belgium and Italy have higher rates of crime in most categories.

Regarding Canada, I was heading you off at the pass before you could tell me how well behaved Canada's immigrants are.
And the crime rates have been falling for the past 3 decades...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 03:11 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,034,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
The African-American that are responsible for most of the violent crime in America have been present within the country since its birth. The reason for poor cohesion is a problem that America has brought on itself.

Comparing the plight of the country's poor is not a fool's errand, especially considering the fact that America has far more wealth at its disposal than most European countries.
As Europe's problems are their own and will be of their own doing--I hope for your sake that I never get to say 'I told you so'.

There's a reason that most European governments are in hock up to their necks and that the ECB still has negative interest rates in place. Your people feel that the government owes everybody a minimum standard of living. It's an unsustainable path that sadly the US is following you down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Organised crime groups in Sweden are mostly other Europeans; former Yugoslavs, Danes and Finns. Sweden is a bigger market which has traditionally been a bit soft on OC.

The Russian and Estonian mafias are active in Finland. Should we close our borders to Russians and Estonians just because of a few bad apples who would be here regardless of immigration policy?
The Trump travel ban was an act of dumassery. I've seen pictures of some of the grenade attackers and car burners. They're not former Yugoslavs, Danes and Finns.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:13 PM

26,720 posts, read 22,298,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
Being very poor in the USA is not a bad fate, what with food stamps, subsidized housing, free health care via medicaid etc begin doled out.

The worst fate is those above the poverty limits that they don't qualify for these benefits but they are not well off to afford them with the income they make. Basically the lower middle class or the better off poor.

No wonder some single women with children don't want to work as the amounts earned will lift them over the poverty level and they lose the free food and medical care and can't afford it on the money earned. This situation has to be rectified if we have to get them to join the workforce.
Is it so?

Poor America - Top Documentary Films

( There are few ranks of "poor" in the US just in case you don't know.)

Old 02-25-2017, 06:21 PM

^
P.S. Of course since then Obama came up with health insurance reform, making it available for everyone, BUT...
you need to see in Politics forum what a divisive/controversial issue it is in the country now))))

Old 02-25-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Is it so?

Poor America - Top Documentary Films

( There are few ranks of "poor" in the US just in case you don't know.)
Meth kills.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Meth kills.
Are you saying all these people are on meth?

Old 02-25-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Are you saying all these people are on meth?
Look at them, listen to them and tell me what you think. There's no reason to live under a bridge. There's lots of homeless shelters and churches, but they can't use drugs in those places.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Look at them, listen to them and tell me what you think. There's no reason to live under a bridge. There's lots of homeless shelters and churches, but they can't use drugs in those places.
You don't hear what they are saying? That even "lots of shelters" don't have enough of space for all the homeless?
I was not working directly in the shelter, but in organization that was running the shelter.
I know how persistent the problem was, during the winter months in particular.

P.S. What it has got to do with "churches?"
All churches ( at least that I know of in my area) help with food and clothing, but not sleeping arrangements.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
You don't hear what they are saying? That even "lots of shelters" don't have enough of space for all the homeless?
Look at them. The twitches, the scabs. They're shot.

Homeless shelters will find you a bed and so will churches, but there are rules. Putting the pipe down is one of them. That stuff csuses brain damage

Old 02-25-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Look at them. The twitches, the scabs. They're shot.

Homeless shelters will find you a bed and so will churches, but there are rules. Putting the pipe down is one of them. That stuff csuses brain damage
While it's true that drug abuse/mental problems are quite prominent among the America's poor, that doesn't mean that ALL of them are drug abusers. It's simply not true.
You, of course, can pacify yourself ( and others) with something like "homeless shelters will find you a bed," but I am telling you that it's NOT always a case. Shelters first of all take families with children in - this is their priority. The singles, or families without children will be turned away if there is no space available. It's that simple. ( And no, churches DO NOT provide places to lodge.)

P.S. But wait, I still need to comment on Lucas's post...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe