Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2018, 12:42 PM

2,216 posts, read 1,020,674 times

Advertisements

A bit winter Belgorod !

Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I don't know what to tell you about this specific video.
On one hand I understand his fascination with "authentic Chinese" parts of the city, on another hand those places look plain awful to me. Yet on another hand, when they replace them with those faceless skyscrapers, that doesn't make situation much better if you ask me. ( I mean for me China is the place to avoid on my list.) I saw some of his other videos, and it only confirmed my opinion.)
But back to Russian cities.
I watched couple of videos, to get a better idea of Belgorod, and as I've said - from what I saw there, Belgorod actually looks much more as your normal (somewhat renovated) *Soviet* city than it comes across in Turist's pictures.
This is the video number one, made by some random Russian guy, who ( judging by what he says) travels through different Russian cities and posts what he sees/thinks about them.
He actually likes Belgorod, but I don't. As I've said, there is something amiss there, the OLDER part of town ( or part of history,) which you definitely see in Smolensk ( they are approximately of the same size, judging by population - 300 thousand +)

So this is Belgorod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_Oy8o_1_xU&t=693s

And this is Smolensk shown by the same "travelling guy," who made it there literally yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc7-Wx6v2zU

I see a lot of newer architecture here mixed with the old one ( which I don't spot in Belgorod.)
So my question is - they are both on the western border, so they were both damaged by the war.
How much of original architecture was damaged by the war in Belgorod ( comparably to Smolensk,) how much by Soviet administration, and how much by the "new Russians?" ( I know more or less what the story is in Moscow in this respect.)

And the last ( and probably the most curious video) here is made by this young couple, that ( by the sound of it) are Belgorod's natives, but they came back there after staying abroad ( namely - Dubai.) And they are shocked by the prices in Belgorod, saying that they are not much lower/or even the same as in Dubai, ( which is one of the most expensive cities in the world.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMUNZyL17Z4

Where this guy was looking for the historic center, where the river, there is now a new Park with Bicycle paths, bridges and other things.

A special video where we are told how we live badly, with meager salaries and prices more expensive than in Dubai )) This is something.

Old 08-27-2018, 05:00 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,134 times
Quote:

I see a lot of newer architecture here mixed with the old one ( which I don't spot in Belgorod.)
So my question is - they are both on the western border, so they were both damaged by the war.
How much of original architecture was damaged by the war in Belgorod ( comparably to Smolensk,) how much by Soviet administration, and how much by the "new Russians?" ( I know more or less what the story is in Moscow in this respect.)

And the last ( and probably the most curious video) here is made by this young couple, that ( by the sound of it) are Belgorod's natives, but they came back there after staying abroad ( namely - Dubai.) And they are shocked by the prices in Belgorod, saying that they are not much lower/or even the same as in Dubai, ( which is one of the most expensive cities in the world.)

From what I know of Belgorod and Smolensk in WWII the 2 cities had different experiences. Smolensk was only briefly fought over with the Germans rushing the city and quicklt pushing the garrison to the north of the river where the Russians dug in. The combatants sat and shot at each other for a few days destroying the bridge and city gate. Fighting continued in the region to the north and north east amongst the hills where the germans were held for months by the Red Army. The city itself did not suffer too much from bombing or artillery fire. The population of the entire region suffered horribly.

Belgorod was totally the opposite. It changed hands several times in 1942 in the space of a few weeks. Patrick Sayer who wrote The Forgotten Soldier was there in 1942 then again in 1943. The city was pretty much leveled the first time. His second experience was fighting in the same rubble a year later trying to stop thousands of Russians who had taken an intense interest in his demise and the Battle Of Kursk wound down.

Belgorod was the southern anchor/hinge the Germans used in their offensive at Kursk and not 20 miles up the river we have already mentioned is Timorovka. This was the major fording point for several SS divisions. There was upwards of 2 million Russians and Germans going at it within a 30 minute drive of Belgorod. There were major battles fought in late July just south of the city in the orchards. Now that we're here I remember buildings around the central market that had bullet holes around the windows of the basements in many places. The city was pretty much leveled.

Thanx for the video of that guy in Smolensk, The buildings have been repaired and it brings abck some good memories. I loved the central park.

Old 08-27-2018, 06:22 PM

I think what we're seeing in belgorod now is it's gentrification.

Old 08-27-2018, 06:46 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,853,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
From what I know of Belgorod and Smolensk in WWII the 2 cities had different experiences. Smolensk was only briefly fought over with the Germans rushing the city and quicklt pushing the garrison to the north of the river where the Russians dug in. The combatants sat and shot at each other for a few days destroying the bridge and city gate. Fighting continued in the region to the north and north east amongst the hills where the germans were held for months by the Red Army. The city itself did not suffer too much from bombing or artillery fire. The population of the entire region suffered horribly.

Belgorod was totally the opposite. It changed hands several times in 1942 in the space of a few weeks. Patrick Sayer who wrote The Forgotten Soldier was there in 1942 then again in 1943. The city was pretty much leveled the first time. His second experience was fighting in the same rubble a year later trying to stop thousands of Russians who had taken an intense interest in his demise and the Battle Of Kursk wound down.

Belgorod was the southern anchor/hinge the Germans used in their offensive at Kursk and not 20 miles up the river we have already mentioned is Timorovka. This was the major fording point for several SS divisions. There was upwards of 2 million Russians and Germans going at it within a 30 minute drive of Belgorod. There were major battles fought in late July just south of the city in the orchards. Now that we're here I remember buildings around the central market that had bullet holes around the windows of the basements in many places. The city was pretty much leveled.
A few corrections to your post:

Smolensk itself was fought over for a week until the 16th army retreated to the north side of the river.

Belgorod was captured the day after the battle of Kharkov, ironically because Timoshenko had to pull troops out due to the disaster the red army had after the battle of Smolensk. It wasn't any more heavily contested than Smolensk was. It was on the front lines for the next 8 months though and I heard the Hungarian army was mostly involved in Belgorod's position on the front line.

It remained in German hands throughout all of 1942, no changing of hands took place. It was Feb 1943 when the red army took it and then lost it in march until August after the Battle of Kursk when the Germans withdrew because the allies had invaded Italy. The city was not fought over during that battle and Sajer's division had no record of ever entering it.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:39 PM

Today, some photos from different events and just a couple of photos.

Recently, there was a charity marathon, everyone ran )

In Belgorod, held a lot of public sporting events, but more on them later.At least, not today..

Ferris wheel in Park of a name of Lenin. Yeah, it's an old Park downtown. It will be a separate post.

The same Ferris wheel, but the mechanics were asked to add speed )))))))))

Putin's all-seeing eye watches citizens even at night ! Whoo !!! Just kidding just kidding just the moon, just the tower,she just now backlit.

And this is a wonderful restaurant near (15-20 minutes drive from the city) from the city. There, in addition to the restaurant and the beach, you can rent a lot of gazebos for every taste and number of people. It's like a little picnic Park on the lake.

Celebration on nature, the main feature of which became very big dancing. Who was, praised, say pleased. I wasn't, I was camping that day.

Yes, and it's recently, a month ago or a little more.Reconstruction of the Central square. They replaced the worn coating and put everything in order. That was much better. Photos from the reconstructed site, will be, but also then. PS Photos accidentally ended up here, but let it be.

This, too,, what the creative celebration and exhibition. Again, kids, can easily draw, if you wish. In Belgorod, in General, quite a lot of such events.

On this, on today perhaps all. Tired, want to sleep. Was quite active in terms of work day.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:09 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
I don't know what to tell you about this specific video.
On one hand I understand his fascination with "authentic Chinese" parts of the city, on another hand those places look plain awful to me. Yet on another hand, when they replace them with those faceless skyscrapers, that doesn't make situation much better if you ask me. ( I mean for me China is the place to avoid on my list.) I saw some of his other videos, and it only confirmed my opinion.)
But back to Russian cities.
I watched couple of videos, to get a better idea of Belgorod, and as I've said - from what I saw there, Belgorod actually looks much more as your normal (somewhat renovated) *Soviet* city than it comes across in Turist's pictures.
This is the video number one, made by some random Russian guy, who ( judging by what he says) travels through different Russian cities and posts what he sees/thinks about them.
He actually likes Belgorod, but I don't. As I've said, there is something amiss there, the OLDER part of town ( or part of history,) which you definitely see in Smolensk ( they are approximately of the same size, judging by population - 300 thousand +)

So this is Belgorod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_Oy8o_1_xU&t=693s

And this is Smolensk shown by the same "travelling guy," who made it there literally yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc7-Wx6v2zU

Did you notice he has a slight Ukrainian accent? And his Russian spelling is off (in the subtitles). Who is this guy?

Old 08-28-2018, 03:25 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,853,283 times
Belgorod was part of the Ukrainian state which existed 100 years ago until the Soviets took over.

Old 08-28-2018, 03:30 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,921,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Belgorod was part of the Ukrainian state which existed 100 years ago until the Soviets took over.
If I’m not mistaken it even served as a temporary capital until it was moved to Kharkiv.

Old 08-28-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
If I’m not mistaken it even served as a temporary capital until it was moved to Kharkiv.
This was during the revolution/Civil war?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe