Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 06:16 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,455,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Yes, one act of police brutality is one too many. I totally agree. One false accusation against them is one too many as well. Especially when such accusations provoke feral people to riot like uncaged animals.
Firstly I agree that the police like everyone else should be accountable to the Courts and only on coviction by a Court can they be found guilty, as this hasn't happened then no guilt has been established and what has occurred is indeed merely an allegation.

However the background to all of this is numerous allegations of heavy handedness by certain French Police Officers relating to certain communities, and if these communities feel that the police no longer police by consent than they are a state force of oppression then what you get is riots. It happened across America in the 1960's, in London in the 1980's, in Los Angeles in the 1990's, is happening in Paris at the moment.

The French Police are different to the British Police, as firstly there is the Local Civilian Police and then the National Police, the National Police include the Gendarmerie, a gendarmerie is historically a military component with jurisdiction in civil law enforcement.

Then you have the much vilified Compagnies Républicaines de Sécurité or CRS (Republican Security Companies). The CRS are the general reserve of the French National Police. They are primarily involved in general security missions but the task for which they are best known is crowd and riot control.

Some of the policing in France is based on a very different principle to that put forward by Peel here in England, and the style of policing is sometimes different especially in relation to some national policing functions.

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-18-2017 at 07:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 06:49 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Firstly I agree that the police like everyone else should be accountable to the Courts and only on coviction by a Court can they be found guilty, as this hasn't happened then no guilt has been established and what has occurred is indeed merely an allegation.

However the background to all of this is numerous allegations of heavy handedness by certain French Police Officers relating to certain communities, and if these communities feel that the police no longer police by consent than they are a state force of oppression then what you get is riots. It happened across America in the 1960's, in London in the 1980's, in Los Angeles in the 1990's, is happening in Paris at the moment.

The French Police are different to the British Police, as firstly there is the Local Civilian Police and then the National Police, the National Police include the Gendarmerie, a gendarmerie is historically a military component with jurisdiction in civil law enforcement.

Then you have the much vilified Compagnies Républicaines de Sécurité or CRS (Republican Security Companies). The CRS are the general reserve of the French National Police. They are primarily involved in general security missions but the task for which they are best known is crowd and riot control.

Some of the policing in France is based on a very different principle to that out forward by Peel here in England, and the style of policing is sometimes different especially in relation to some national policing functions.
Thank you for the informative post and for providing some background on the situation. That said, I will never excuse people for destroying property or injuring others in protest. Such behavior should be met with nothing less than overwhelming force to end it ASAP. Non-violent protest is totally acceptable and should encouraged when true misdeeds are being committed by the government or its employees.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:07 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,115,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Really? Wow I did not expect that.

Recently in Hong Kong 7 police officers have been convicted for 2 years of imprisonment because of the police brutality happened during Occupying Central. That's what's supposed to happen.

In Germany we have dreadful cases where police violence wasn't penalized. But also cases where police brutality was penalized very strictly.

A horrible example happened in Burghausen in Bavaria in 2014. Two policemen tried to detain a wanted cannabis dealer. The small-time crook fled. After a warning shot, a policeman allegedly tried to shot him into his legs, but he striked him into the neck. The distance was about 6-10 meters. The cannabis dealer died. In 2016 the prosecution closed the proceedings against the policeman because they couldn't disprove that the police officer aimed for the legs. Shooting on a cannabis dealer?

In the following case the policeman was sentenced to 15 month imprisonment on parole:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qMq8UEpIYQ

Unlawful usage of pepper spray seems quite common. This policeman was denounced by his own commander:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yvudHfpS3Y

In another incident a policeman was sentenced for two and half year imprisonment for blowing, using pepper spray and threaten a rioter that has already settled down with his duty weapon. And for percecution of innocent people.

https://www.tz.de/welt/gewalt-dienst...r-6385348.html

Overall I do think that the German police makes a good job. But every incident of police violence in Germany makes me extremely furious. It's horrible when a dangerous criminal kills someone. But police violence makes me more angry.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:30 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
In Germany we have dreadful cases where police violence wasn't penalized. But also cases where police brutality was penalized very strictly.

Overall I do think that the German police makes a good job. But every incident of police violence in Germany makes me extremely furious. It's horrible when a dangerous criminal kills someone. But police violence makes me more angry.
There has been cases where police got convicted here as well. It usually involves some criminal trying to run away.

The worst case in recent years (well there were like a million during the Martial Law days) is the 2014 protest, dozens of people were injured when the police were evacuating, and then no one was prosecuted. It's really telling when those cops in Hong Kong got convicted while the cops here can walk away easily. It's so ****ing pathetic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KENax-91Wg

It's at around 3:30.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:49 AM

827 posts, read 631,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
The perception of police as some kind of career bullies on here is amazing. How many thousands of police interactions are there every day without incident? Criminals, the mentally ill, drug addiccts, medical emergencies, fires, car accidents and you focus on some isolated incidents of brutality. Wow!

Trying being one.
And we must underline the fact that thoses isolated incidents always happen to criminals.
If you stay polite and straigh with the police nothing will ever happen to you.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:22 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

Some of the policing in France is based on a very different principle to that put forward by Peel here in England, and the style of policing is sometimes different especially in relation to some national policing functions.
Good points.

The police in France are no boy scouts. They're well known across Europe in beating you up first and ask questions later.
Well, neither are French rioters, but as I said, the police must have higher standards while maintaining the peace.

I totally understand if you get nothing from the police than the baton or pepper spray, the relationship gets sour. Especially when this Theo got the baton in the most humiliating way possible and was raped.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:53 PM

827 posts, read 631,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
The police in France are no boy scouts. They're well known across Europe in beating you up first and ask questions later.
I never heard about this reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Well, neither are French rioters, but as I said, the police must have higher standards while maintaining the peace.

I totally understand if you get nothing from the police than the baton or pepper spray, the relationship gets sour. Especially when this Theo got the baton in the most humiliating way possible and was raped.
Please stop present theo as an angel, innocent victim of police violence.
The truth is theo go voluntary fight the policemen to avoid they arrest a drug dealer! The violence has been start by Theo.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:02 PM

9,372 posts, read 6,975,888 times
Good to know hat ghetto behavior is ghetto behavior regardless of nationality... Chicago St. Louis Baltimore Paris London....

Old 02-18-2017, 01:08 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citoyen View Post
Please stop present theo as an angel, innocent victim of police violence.
The truth is theo go voluntary fight the policemen to avoid they arrest a drug dealer! The violence has been start by Theo.
I don't know him.

He was raped by a police officer. So what if he's a drug dealer?

Old 02-18-2017, 01:10 PM

1,704 posts, read 1,837,741 times
Suddenly a certain Theo gets a baton shovelled up his rectum and the same people who try to downplay the rapes perpetrated by migrants across Europe are up in arms.

Migrants raping=all single incidents, we can't generalise.
Police stepping out of line=the police are bad, act first and ask questions later, rioting and looting are justified and encouraged.

No wonder the populists are rising in Europe, it's because of people like you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe