Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these European languages do you think is most likely to become extinct?
Gaeilge 6 35.29%
Malti 5 29.41%
Føroyskt 6 35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 10:11 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,696,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
You know that's not what he said though, you're twisting his words. Ireland is already a monoglot English-speaking country for the most part, Sweden, Finland etc are not.
Sweden and Finland are not monoglot countries. Most residents are at least bilingual with English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
That's a silly analogy. The Irish don't have to switch because they already speak English as their first language.
The Irish don't have to do anything they don't want but it is their loss and a shame really if they don't want to preserve their cultural identity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 02:19 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,978,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Sweden and Finland are not monoglot countries. Most residents are at least bilingual with English.

The Irish don't have to do anything they don't want but it is their loss and a shame really if they don't want to preserve their cultural identity.
The Irish people aren't losing anything by not preserving the Irish language as the English language is their native tongue.

Last edited by GymFanatic; 03-17-2017 at 03:45 PM..

Old 03-17-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
The Irish people aren't losing anything by not preserving the Irish language as the English language is their native tongue.
Then why do they still teach Irish in the school system at all?

Old 03-17-2017, 04:13 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,978,562 times
94% of Ireland speak English as their First Language, more than England itself. This isn't up for debate.

Old 03-17-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
94% of Ireland speak English as their First Language, more than England itself. This isn't up for debate.
I am not debating English proficiency among the Irish.. I am questioning why more effort hasn't been put into Irish language education to make Ireland a truly bilingual country as it should be IMO.

I just read this article. It could shed some light on the issue... hopefully they have been able to revise their curriculum since the article was written.

Education: How did we get the teaching of Irish so wrong?

Old 03-17-2017, 04:40 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,921,362 times
The thing that's gone wrong is that too few people wish to speak something that has essentially become a private code. That is all.

Old 03-18-2017, 02:56 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,468,842 times
Quote:

You have to understand that English has been the main language in Ireland for generations. People haven't chosen to give up speaking Irish as it happened over a period of time for many reasons. You can research if you are interested. Children going to school have to learn Irish but you can't turn the clock back to the 1700s. It's not a matter of people not wanting to preserve their cultural identity.

The point anyway if that whether Irish speak English or Gaeilge they still have a very strong cultural identity.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
You have to understand that English has been the main language in Ireland for generations. People haven't chosen to give up speaking Irish as it happened over a period of time for many reasons. You can research if you are interested. Children going to school have to learn Irish but you can't turn the clock back to the 1700s. It's not a matter of people not wanting to preserve their cultural identity.

The point anyway if that whether Irish speak English or Gaeilge they still have a very strong cultural identity.
Yes I understand that and I know that the Irish aren't the only group who have lost their language to the English language over time. Here in Canada I work with the Indigenous populations and pretty much all of them have lost their languages to the English language. They are trying to revive their languages with limited success.

The thing is when you speak a different language, it gives you a way of looking at the world that you wouldn't normally have by just speaking English with a window into that particular culture. The Irish and other groups have indeed lost something special by giving up on their language over time and it is a shame and a pity is all I am saying.

I would say that a group's cultural identity while still there is weakened by a loss of the native language.

Old 03-18-2017, 02:25 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,921,362 times
Unfortunately, economics and cultural dominance are the main things that dictate what languages people speak. Smaller languages are facing an almost impossible battle to survive.

Old 03-18-2017, 02:49 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,649,687 times
Quote:
Yes I understand that and I know that the Irish aren't the only group who have lost their language to the English language over time. Here in Canada I work with the Indigenous populations and pretty much all of them have lost their languages to the English language. They are trying to revive their languages with limited success.

The thing is when you speak a different language, it gives you a way of looking at the world that you wouldn't normally have by just speaking English with a window into that particular culture. The Irish and other groups have indeed lost something special by giving up on their language over time and it is a shame and a pity is all I am saying.

I would say that a group's cultural identity while still there is weakened by a loss of the native language.
For what it's worth, traditional Irish-language names have made a comeback in recent years even if those people can't necessarily actually speak Irish. Luckily this website has a pronunciation guide because I would not have a clue how to say names like Caoimhe or Niamh, shows how difficult the language must be to learn once you're above a certain age.

Irish and Gaelic girls names for babies

Last edited by ben86; 03-18-2017 at 03:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe