Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 03:53 AM

5,587 posts, read 10,586,512 times

Advertisements

Heard the name, didn't know who he was though. If I could read (or re-read, as the case would be) just one American travel writer it would have to be Bill Bryson.

Saying that, I do have an unread copy of The Great Railway Bazaar by Paul Theroux that's been on my shelf for years - any good lol? I read A Kingdom By The Sea once and thought Theroux sounded like a bit of a miserable bastard.

Last edited by ben86; 03-18-2017 at 04:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 04:10 AM

4,541 posts, read 6,306,993 times
The first time I heard about him was here on city-data. A bit later, I watched one of his clips on youtube. Immediately reminded me of Jamie from EuroTrip.

Frankly, I thought his presenting was pretty boring and old-fashioned. His
episode on Vienna is exactly how I imagine one of those bus tours through Europe. Accurate, but not very inspiring. He only covered the most touristy spots.

Maybe his books or other episodes are better. Who knows. It's not for me.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:27 AM

1,377 posts, read 1,431,695 times
Never heard of him.

Anyway, so that you have named him I've searched some information about his travel books.
It looks like he dislike my region as a whole, considering that we are not even named on his books proposed this year.
https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/p/italy-guidebook
This year, according to the guide Italy is made of:
Venice, and those couple of little cities nearby (Padua, Vicenza, Verona)
The Dolomies
Milan + Lake Como and lake Garda
Cinque Terre ans surrounding
All of Tuscany
Assisi
Orvieto and Civita di Bagnoregio
Rome
Naples
Pompeii
Amalfi Coast

In practice I can't find any reference (among this year books) about Piedmont, Aosta Valley, Friuli, Emilia Romagna, Marche, Abruzzo, Molise, Apulia, Basilicata, Calabria, Sicily and Sardinia. 12 regions out of 20 are not named.
Practically the same on his youtube channel, the playlist about Italy has 93 videos, https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...03FB5B8E4D4D99 and he still misses 11 regions out of 20 (at least there are a couple of videos about Sicily).

Apart the disappointment for seeing such a low consideration for my region, I have to say that this is a really superficial description of the country. For example, Turin is the city that started the unification of the country, and it is packed with the royal residencies of the Savoy family. My region is also famous for the Alps and for the hills of Langhe and Monferrato, and we were also in the top destinations in Europe in 2015 according to Lonely Planet (6th place) https://www.lonelyplanet.com/travel-...in-europe-2015
I started with my region because it's the one I know the best, but there are several other destinations that worth a visit. Aosta Valley has some of the best mountain scenarios in Italy, and it is packed with Medieval Castles. They didn't included Bologna and the other cities of Emilia Romagna, which surely are not less interesting than other named cities, and that should be in the top destinations of anyone who is traveling in Italy for food. The guide oversight all the Adriatic regions in practice, for concentrating on a couple of little centers in the central part of the Apennines. Also, the only south Italy area considered seems the one around Naples (and Sicily in the videos).

Overall, to me these guides don't seem to "emphasizes A LOT of places off the beaten path", actually it doesn't even cover all the touristic localities.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:39 AM

24,205 posts, read 24,654,512 times
Never heard of him.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:32 AM

5,257 posts, read 3,963,593 times
Seems like a guy trying to spread American influence through "documentaries". In one of his documentaries about bulgaria he pronounced bulgarian word "nazdrave" like a super-russian sonding "nasdoroviye" and called russia "big brother". Other than that: not that bad, you can learn something from his docs!

Old 03-18-2017, 12:43 PM

26,889 posts, read 13,109,396 times
I have come across Rick Steves youtube channel before, but not any TV Show in the UK and I have satellite/cable.

Adam Richman's shows such as 'Man v Food' made him quite popular in the UK and the 'Impractical Jokers' also became popular.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:05 PM

1,529 posts, read 908,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Never heard of him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Never heard of him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
Never heard of him.

Anyway, so that you have named him I've searched some information about his travel books.
It looks like he dislike my region as a whole, considering that we are not even named on his books proposed this year.
https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/p/italy-guidebook
This year, according to the guide Italy is made of:
Venice, and those couple of little cities nearby (Padua, Vicenza, Verona)
The Dolomies
Milan + Lake Como and lake Garda
Cinque Terre ans surrounding
All of Tuscany
Assisi
Orvieto and Civita di Bagnoregio
Rome
Naples
Pompeii
Amalfi Coast

In practice I can't find any reference (among this year books) about Piedmont, Aosta Valley, Friuli, Emilia Romagna, Marche, Abruzzo, Molise, Apulia, Basilicata, Calabria, Sicily and Sardinia. 12 regions out of 20 are not named.
Practically the same on his youtube channel, the playlist about Italy has 93 videos, https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...03FB5B8E4D4D99 and he still misses 11 regions out of 20 (at least there are a couple of videos about Sicily).

Apart the disappointment for seeing such a low consideration for my region, I have to say that this is a really superficial description of the country. For example, Turin is the city that started the unification of the country, and it is packed with the royal residencies of the Savoy family. My region is also famous for the Alps and for the hills of Langhe and Monferrato, and we were also in the top destinations in Europe in 2015 according to Lonely Planet (6th place) https://www.lonelyplanet.com/travel-...in-europe-2015
I started with my region because it's the one I know the best, but there are several other destinations that worth a visit. Aosta Valley has some of the best mountain scenarios in Italy, and it is packed with Medieval Castles. They didn't included Bologna and the other cities of Emilia Romagna, which surely are not less interesting than other named cities, and that should be in the top destinations of anyone who is traveling in Italy for food. The guide oversight all the Adriatic regions in practice, for concentrating on a couple of little centers in the central part of the Apennines. Also, the only south Italy area considered seems the one around Naples (and Sicily in the videos).

Overall, to me these guides don't seem to "emphasizes A LOT of places off the beaten path", actually it doesn't even cover all the touristic localities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Never heard of him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I have come across Rick Steves youtube channel before, but not any TV Show in the UK and I have satellite/cable.

Adam Richman's shows such as 'Man v Food' made him quite popular in the UK and the 'Impractical Jokers' also became popular.
I guess that makes a few of us who have never heard of him. In my case that is not his fault. I wish him good luck.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:26 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,896,974 times
The interesting thing about Rick Steves is that he started out as the typical college student who enjoyed bumming around Europe. He enjoyed it so much, he decided to make a career out of it. And he's been very successful at it. There's nothing wrong with creating a career for yourself at doing something you really enjoy.

And I imagine that the hotels and restaurants he recommends are very happy with the increase in business since he started publishing his travel advice. In that respect, I think he's kind of like Oprah's Book Club; as soon as she chooses a title, sales skyrocket.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:49 PM

14,613 posts, read 17,293,877 times
Madrid At a Glance - Rick Steves
▲▲▲ Royal Palace Spain's sumptuous, lavishly furnished national palace.
▲▲▲ Prado Museum One of the world's great museums, loaded with masterpieces by Diego Velázquez, Francisco de Goya, El Greco, Hieronymus Bosch, Albrecht Dürer, and more.
▲▲▲ Centro de Arte Reina Sofía Modern-art museum featuring Picasso's epic masterpiece Guernica.
▲▲▲ Paseo Evening stroll among the Madrileños.
▲▲ Puerta del Sol Madrid's lively central square.
▲▲ Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum A great complement to the Prado, with lesser-known yet still impressive works and an especially good Impressionist collection.
▲▲ National Archaeological Museum Traces the history of Iberia through artifacts.
▲▲ Bullfight Spain's controversial pastime.
▲▲ Flamenco Captivating music and dance performances, at various venues throughout the city.
▲▲ Plaza Mayor Historic cobbled square.
▲ Retiro Park Festive green escape from the city, with rental rowboats and great people-watching.
▲ Royal Botanical Garden A relaxing museum of plants, with specimens from around the world.
▲ Naval Museum Seafaring history of a country famous for its Armada.
▲ Museum of the Americas Pre-Columbian and colonial artifacts from the New World.
▲ Clothing Museum A clothes look at the 18th–21st centuries.
▲ Hermitage of San Antonio de la Florida Church with Goya's tomb, plus frescoes by the artist.
▲ El Rastro Europe's biggest flea market, filled with bargains and pickpockets.
▲ Zarzuela Madrid's delightful light opera.

While there is nothing wrong with those suggestions, it is extremely important to go to CHOCOLATERÍA SAN GINÉS, which has been part of Madrid nightime sweets since 1894. Much more important than the Royal Palace.
https://chocolateriasangines.com/

Old 03-19-2017, 12:00 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,578,724 times
I like Rick Steves programs. I find them entertaining and usually somewhat humorous. I have been to Italy, have Italian and a French born sister-in-laws, and am well educated history wise. As someone who is no longer able to do overseas travel, either healthwise or financially, he gives me a nice travelogue.

He is on PBS.

eta: I have been to SE Asia more frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe