U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2017, 12:39 PM

55 posts, read 27,792 times

Advertisements

Europe seems to do everything better than the US at least when it comes to social issues. Recently there was a topic about a woman who's daughter has a few misdemeanors and a felony and has had a very tough time finding a job. Now in the US as I am sure you know our politicians are all like "PEOPLE THAT DO DRUGS DESERVE TO BURN IN HELL!!" "Why actually try to treat people, we should just slap them with long-lasting punishment for simply smoking a joint" etc. As such even if you don't have a violent record most employers and companies are also of the "You smoked weed? BURN IN HELL!!" etc. Now I imagine just like how Europe actually cares about helping and treating people with say drug addiction am I right in thinking Europe is a lot more understanding and sympathetic regarding giving second chances to those that have criminal records when hiring people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 04:36 PM

297 posts, read 199,262 times
well, yes. it depends on the job applied for. example, you cannot get a job as teacher, nurse, driving instructor, etc with a criminal record. however, builder, car machanic, shelf stacker etc are all available & employer cannot ask.
in some countries, it's even against the law for employers to demand a record check to get a job.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:15 PM

211 posts, read 121,482 times
Europe, where?

Old 04-28-2017, 03:57 AM

11,602 posts, read 3,970,957 times
In the UK certain offences which involve a prison sentence of less than 4 years can be deemed spent after a period of years, allowing offenders who don't continue to offend a chance to make a fresh start and in order to help in the rehabilitation of offenders. So if you are say an adult who has been imprisoned for a minor offence not involving serious violence or sexual offences and you are sentened to more than 30 months and less than 4 years and you do not go on to offend again, then you your records to an employer won't show up after 7 years. Meaning you don't have to declare the criminal record for many types of work.

However this is only for certain types of employment, and jobs involving working in a trusted position in society or in jobs working with children and vulnerable people are subject to an enhanced record check and this shows all convictions. Then again the fact that offenders can at least be given a second chance in many areas of work after a significant period during which they have been honest citizens seems like a decent way to keep people from a life of crime. Records are still kept by the police they are just downgraded on the Police National Computer, the police also have a National Intelligence Database but that is to allow the police to gather criminal intellience rather than convictions. Enhanced Record Checks are carried out by the Disclosure and Barring Service in relation to those working in employment related to jobs with certain official responsibilities or those involving children and vulnerable people.

Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 - Wikipedia

Legal Aid, Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Act ... - Wikipedia

About us - Disclosure and Barring Service - GOV.UK

Law change outlaws 'back door' criminal record check | ICO

Travelling to America (USA) - A detailed guide - theInfoHub by Unlock

Rehabilitation Periods – Adults

Is it spent now? A brief guide to changes to the ROA - theInfoHub by Unlock

Rehabilitation Periods – Under 18

Is it spent now? A brief guide to changes to the ROA - theInfoHub by Unlock

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-28-2017 at 04:35 AM..

Old 04-29-2017, 12:44 AM

1,802 posts, read 805,408 times
I'm moving to Spain, and they need to check my record to issue the visa.

I guess they take criminal record very seriously.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:35 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,724,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogCT View Post
Europe seems to do everything better than the US
Ahhh, Europe. My favorite country.

With Portland, Oregon a close second.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:45 PM

205 posts, read 137,521 times
Quote:
Europe seems to do everything better than the US at least when it comes to social issues. Recently there was a topic about a woman who's daughter has a few misdemeanors and a felony and has had a very tough time finding a job. Now in the US as I am sure you know our politicians are all like "PEOPLE THAT DO DRUGS DESERVE TO BURN IN HELL!!" "Why actually try to treat people, we should just slap them with long-lasting punishment for simply smoking a joint" etc. As such even if you don't have a violent record most employers and companies are also of the "You smoked weed? BURN IN HELL!!" etc. Now I imagine just like how Europe actually cares about helping and treating people with say drug addiction am I right in thinking Europe is a lot more understanding and sympathetic regarding giving second chances to those that have criminal records when hiring people?
You are erroneously referring to FELONS who want to escape their pasts consequences by "plonking" themselves on Europe (in general) while believing that Europe will help them "economically" so with that being said....you'll find gainful employment with the international mafia and the Nazi fallout maybe...but most European corporations are worse than those in America in terms of having employees who LIVE crime free (an ideology that was ironically adopted from Hitler's ideologies...)

Old 05-03-2017, 07:15 AM

297 posts, read 199,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countess Capital View Post
You are erroneously referring to FELONS who want to escape their pasts consequences by "plonking" themselves on Europe (in general) while believing that Europe will help them "economically" so with that being said....you'll find gainful employment with the international mafia and the Nazi fallout maybe...but most European corporations are worse than those in America in terms of having employees who LIVE crime free (an ideology that was ironically adopted from Hitler's ideologies...)
Errr...what??? How on earth you correlate "plonking themselves on Europe" due to a criminal record with Adolf Hitler is beyond me &, tbh, would probably need the finest minds on the planet to work out.

Fyi, European corporations are no different then US corporations, no one is living "crime free" in either, it's nothing to do with old Adolf's ideologies...it's called business practice.

Quote:
I'm moving to Spain, and they need to check my record to issue the visa.

I guess they take criminal record very seriously.
Depends on the crime, how long ago & what age it the offender was at the time, i do know that Spanish employers DON'T as for criminal record checks for "ordinary" jobs.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Europe seems to do everything better than the US at least when it comes to social issues.
What about the influx of refugees?

EU is weak on borders.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by complexia View Post
The US is draconian, you can thank the puritans that settled it, they were escaping the era of enlightenment in Europe and went to the Americas!!! (PLEASE GET US AWAY FROM DISCOVERY AND KNOWLEDGE, WE WANT GODS AND HEAVENS AND WORK WORK WORK, NO FUN JUST WORK!)

I know a girl who is on the registry for sex offenders in the US because she was giving her boyfriend a blowjob inside his car on a parking lot in early morning hours. Cops approached the car and caught them!

Now it's on her passport, she needs to register wherever she moves, many jobs in the US wont even consider her for a job! A decent nice person with her life half ruined because she got kinky one Saturday night and decided to give her man a blow job inside his car!!!! (something we've all done)

IT'S A ****ING DISGRACE!
I agree, it's ridiculous. I totally don't get the idea of "registered sex offenders". What purpose does it serve? It doesn't seem to make the world a better place.

‘Les Mis’: Why do we idealize Jean Valjean and act like Javert? • The Berkeley Blog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or