Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 06:54 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
American English has spread worldwide through television and film, but British English remains the more professional and respected option outside the Americas.
There is no such thing as 'American English', its just 'English', its so funny watching Americans desperately trying to claim the language. Australians don't do it, canadians don't do it, New Zealanders don't do it etc etc. The fact is the language Americans speak is English, its a foreign language that has totally and utterly obliterated the local languages (as its done elsewhere in the world). I will say though that Americans have learnt to speak English quite well though I think Scandinavians are better 'English speakers' generally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 07:34 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,341,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Well currently British instructors don't have to get a visa to teach English in the European Union. With Britain leaving the European Union, I think this opens Europe up to more Americans teaching English in Europe.
Teaching English is mostly done by locals on the mainland. I doubt that will be a business opportunity for Americans in the future.

Ireland might see an increase of students who want to do a language class over the summer, though.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:24 AM

8,863 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I do not love China.
I'm sorry but that's one of the craziest things I've ever read on this site.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:37 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,713,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
There is no such thing as 'American English', its just 'English', its so funny watching Americans desperately trying to claim the language. Australians don't do it, canadians don't do it, New Zealanders don't do it etc etc. The fact is the language Americans speak is English, its a foreign language that has totally and utterly obliterated the local languages (as its done elsewhere in the world). I will say though that Americans have learnt to speak English quite well though I think Scandinavians are better 'English speakers' generally.
The American language is English, yes, you are right!

The world wants to learn the American language, which is, English.

That's why Brexit is totally irrelevant.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:18 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
The American language is English, yes, you are right!

The world wants to learn the American language, which is, English.

That's why Brexit is totally irrelevant.
No the English language is English (the clue is in the name of the language), it is the E N G L I S H language that has spread to many foreign countries (and in some cases replaced the local language) of which the US is one such example. The world obviously wants to speak ENGLISH the language of the ENGLISH (again the clue is in the name of the language) and that includes our American 'friends'. The language you speak my 'friend' is a European one and therefore a foreign one, Americans have learn't the language quite well and I think Americans are amongst the best foreign people to speak our language, I think perhaps they are not the best foreign English speakers though, I think the Scandinavians are perhaps better (open to argument of course).

Old 05-09-2017, 01:23 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,573,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Teaching English is mostly done by locals on the mainland.
Most of them teach English with British accent as well.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:28 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,573,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Americans have learn't the language quite well and I think Americans are amongst the best foreign people to speak our language, I think perhaps they are not the best foreign English speakers though, I think the Scandinavians are perhaps better (open to argument of course).
I've heard that many native English-speaking people from India have really bad grammar and bad pronunctiation. Perhaps people from Scandinavian countries and The Netherlands speak better English as their first foreign language.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:49 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
American English has spread worldwide through television and film, but British English remains the more professional and respected option outside the Americas.
When I was looking at ESL jobs, as an American I had no problem in Latin America or China. Teaching English in the EU would have been harder, because for the jobs that were looking for native speakers they preferred British people because England is a part of the EU.

I also know people who run language schools, and when they hire native speakers they use British people because getting the paperwork to hire a non European Union citizen is difficult.

Now that Brexit is leaving the EU, either for those jobs requiring Native speakers they'll be hiring Irish or they'll have to hire/sponsor non Europeans like Americans or Canadians. Britain is out of the equation.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:53 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,992,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
I've heard that many native English-speaking people from India have really bad grammar and bad pronunctiation. Perhaps people from Scandinavian countries and The Netherlands speak better English as their first foreign language.
I have wondered if this is due to the Dutch and Scandinavian people speaking Germanic languages-the category that linguists place English in.

Now, if English was a Chinese based language, those people might have a harder time learning it.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:10 PM

8,863 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
Most of them teach English with British accent as well.
Hardly. Continentals speak English with their respective accents, maybe perhaps the spelling is British.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe