Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best food?
Spain 27 23.08%
Italy 69 58.97%
Greece 21 17.95%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 04:29 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,290,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
Sure, like if in the 1200 cheeses in France, everything was Epoisse :,)
Never heard of that, but I already can't stand Brie. Emmental is basically the only french cheese I like, that and whatever is used for fondue and raclette.

that said, it's also how it's made and eaten that changes it. In Italy cheese is eaten with vegetables / pasta / meat, which makes a lot more sense to me than eating it alone at the end of a meal.

For wine, I am a sucker for Pignoletto and Gewurztraminner when it comes to Italian wines. Not very knowledgeable about french wine, as my family only drinks languedoc and bordeaux which are really heavy. I should try northern wine maybe, more similar to what is available around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 04:50 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,685,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Never heard of that, but I already can't stand Brie. Emmental is basically the only french cheese I like, that and whatever is used for fondue and raclette.

that said, it's also how it's made and eaten that changes it. In Italy cheese is eaten with vegetables / pasta / meat, which makes a lot more sense to me than eating it alone at the end of a meal.

For wine, I am a sucker for Pignoletto and Gewurztraminner when it comes to Italian wines. Not very knowledgeable about french wine, as my family only drinks languedoc and bordeaux which are really heavy. I should try northern wine maybe, more similar to what is available around here.
Okok. You are not a fan of cheese that's all, for you it's just a component of a good meal. Difference of culture, eating a little industrial Saint Albray with fresh bread is something I couldn't stop lol. Emmental... Is swiss. Gruyère is french. Raclette is originally swizz but Reblochon is french, so are Abondance or Comté.

There are gewurztraminers from Alsace...i didnt know gewurztraminers were produced in Italy too!

I like Gewurts too but i m not addict to white wine

Last edited by Pokitobounto; 05-23-2017 at 05:01 AM..

Old 05-23-2017, 05:10 AM

Actually i love cheese now !

Parmesan, Provola, Scamorza, Grana Padano, Crescenza, Ricotta, Scacquerone, Mozzarella di Bufala, Asiago, Robiola are all awesome !

The ones I don't like here are Gorgonzola and some harsher Pecorino.

I am French by the way.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Actually i love cheese now !

Parmesan, Provola, Scamorza, Grana Padano, Crescenza, Ricotta, Scacquerone, Mozzarella di Bufala, Asiago, Robiola are all awesome !

The ones I don't like here are Gorgonzola and some harsher Pecorino.

I am French by the way.
Love Italians cheese and not french one (or reverse) is something hard to understand for me and mysterious
I hate bleus, roquefort or gorgonzola, maybe with a Sauterne only, to bring a taste of sweet.
I like saint necter, morbier, abondance, tomme, reblochon, brie, (yes ^^) well a never ending list...I m crazy about cheese. Here in Vendee there are fresh goat cheeses straight from the producer (very very soft) or this Maillezai cheese, damn. Even my slovak gf that mokes me and my cheeses eat this one^^

Yes I think Roquefort and co are the only one I really cannot eat. I rarely mix cheese (well with wine, bread) so for me it's a part of the meal by itself.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Love Italians cheese and not french one (or reverse) is something hard to understand for me and mysterious
I hate bleus, roquefort or gorgonzola, maybe with a Sauterne only, to bring a taste of sweet.
I like saint necter, morbier, abondance, tomme, reblochon, brie, (yes ^^) well a never ending list...I m crazy about cheese. Here in Vendee there are fresh goat cheeses straight from the producer (very very soft) or this Maillezai cheese, damn. Even my slovak gf that mokes me and my cheeses eat this one^^

Yes I think Roquefort and co are the only one I really cannot eat. I rarely mix cheese (well with wine, bread) so for me it's a part of the meal by itself.
My family, especially my father, is heavy on cheese. He usually buys it at the open air market, then lets it rot in the fridge until it turns blue or green and it looks like you could see a stone age civilization forming looking at it with a microscope. When you open the fridge the whole room reeks. The cheese is decomposing on the paper container and he says it is delicious, I find it repulsive. I usually get out of the room when cheese time comes and enjoy a yogurt in another room. Still can't stand it.

Also, when I was a kid we used to visit my grand parents (his parents) and my grandma used to hang clothing in the cellar along with cheese which was stored either there or in the kitchen cabinet (not always in the fridge). As a result, clothing and plates smelled like old rotten cheese.

I have always associated french cheese with something decomposing and it still reminds me of something dirty and unsafe. This bring me impressions of licking a cow's ass or a farmer's armpit after a hard days' work, in a cold cave, pretty much.

That's where I am coming from. First time i came here and had a big piece of parmesan, it was a life-changing revelation.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:02 AM

Quote:
My family, especially my father, is heavy on cheese. He usually buys it at the open air market, then lets it rot in the fridge until it turns blue or green and it looks like you could see a stone age civilization forming looking at it with a microscope. When you open the fridge the whole room reeks. The cheese is decomposing on the paper container and he says it is delicious, I find it repulsive. I usually get out of the room when cheese time comes and enjoy a yogurt in another room. Still can't stand it.

Also, when I was a kid we used to visit my grand parents (his parents) and my grandma used to hang clothing in the cellar along with cheese which was stored either there or in the kitchen cabinet (not always in the fridge). As a result, clothing and plates smelled like old rotten cheese.

I have always associated french cheese with something decomposing and it still reminds me of something dirty and unsafe. This bring me impressions of licking a cow's ass or a farmer's armpit after a hard days' work, in a cold cave, pretty much.

That's where I am coming from. First time i came here and had a big piece of parmesan, it was a life-changing revelation.
Disgusting.

Well sorry but the problem is not the stinky french garbage but your past... that printed an awfull vision of the (french) cheese.

A soft saint necter is not stinky at all, not multicolor either, but quite discrete. For example Parmigiano is 10 times stronger, i couldnt eat it outside of pastas or a meal (i mean, alone)

Old 05-23-2017, 07:50 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,673 times
I enjoy fresh seafood, especially fried squid/calamari/pulpitos fritos, and grilled fish. All three countries offered equally delicious versions of these items, especially in their coastal regions.

However, I will give the edge to Italy, due to its more varied and plentiful vegetable dishes.

...But then again, for pork in all of its glorious forms, Spain can't be beat, especially its various jamon and cochinillo.

Last edited by mingna; 05-23-2017 at 08:46 AM..

Old 05-23-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Disgusting.

Well sorry but the problem is not the stinky french garbage but your past... that printed an awfull vision of the (french) cheese.

A soft saint necter is not stinky at all, not multicolor either, but quite discrete. For example Parmigiano is 10 times stronger, i couldnt eat it outside of pastas or a meal (i mean, alone)
I can't stand Saint Nectaire but Parmigiano is very subtle for me. That's probably my favourite cheese. So that's funny. I guess it depends on the type of cheese then.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:20 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,329,220 times
Spain has more cheeses, beginning with Manchego, the most delicious of them all, Cabrales, torta del casar, etc.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:28 AM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:

Then send them ALL my way.
I love them all ( the never ending list)))
I was not impressed with Italian cheeses ( the ones I've tried at least) - too subtle for my taste.
But French cheeses - that's something to die for)))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe