Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 06:11 AM

49 posts, read 49,357 times

Advertisements

i'd take copenhagen. my favorite city in scandinavia. and it's not like stockholm has much darker winters than copenhagen. it's 7h vs 6h of daylight in december. but the winters in stockholm are about 3C colder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 06:59 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,318,110 times
Stockholm.

Old 05-28-2017, 04:39 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,582,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobenholm View Post
I have, but a long time ago. Unfortunately I won't be able to visit again before making a decision, seeing as I need to get started ASAP on learning a language if I'm really going to do this.
Well you'll do fine with english in either, Sweden has a higher English proficiency than Canada, and Denmark is not much different.
As far as learning a language good enough to use it professionally, that's a different deal, you will have to have lived in either for a while to get there. That said you will never find a workplace of educated people who are not proficient enough in English to work with you in English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Good post, I agree.

Good news is most Swedes and to a lesser degree Danes, speak English.
My understanding is Swedish and Danish languages are similar, Norwegian too.
All 3 are very similar in writing, a native speaker/reader of any of the 3 will be able to read and understand the other 2 with some minor thinking between the lines.
Most Swedes and Norwegians can have a bilingual conversation without either changing their language. Danish people tend to understand spoken Swedish and Norwiegan but Swedes and Norwiegans tend to have varying degrees of difficulty understanding spoken Danish.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:28 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
I am the expat to whom RFT refers. I have lived in Copenhagen for 21+ years.

Stockholm. Too many reasons. But an important one is that they have a much better system of higher education, especially in economics, should you decide to take a graduate school education, which I highly suggest since it is an important entry point to the Swedish labor market. (I am an economist). Swedes are IMO also more down to earth than Danes: you get what you see, not buried under layers of "irony", which Americans would see as bitter sarcasm.

As for beauty and nature, Sweden and Stockholm have it all over Denmark and Copenhagen.

Keep in mind that, while all citizens of EU member countries have the right to free movement, all the countries have their own immigration rules, although they can not infringe on that EU right. Better read up.

As an EU passport holder, you would have no problem getting into Denmark, but you would have a problem getting a job with a US BA degree, worthless in DK (and maybe in Sweden, which is why I recommend grad school).

Keep in mind, I have only been a tourist in Sweden, not a resident. I, personally, am quite attached to Copenhagen and Denmark, but I am not wrong about a graduate degree in economics from a Swedish institution being superior to one from our three main Universities. Both would be free to you as a citizen of an EU member country. Sweden is particularly good for environmental and resource economics and macro-economics (CGE modeling).

Old 06-03-2017, 05:03 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,214,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

And I agree with the above post, that it's cheaper and easier to get to other parts of Europe from Denmark. Unless you're only interested in visiting Finland, Russia, and the Baltic States, hahahaha.
Oh, you have never heard thing called airplane?
Also, there is big boats called ships....Very,very big boats and peoples are travelling with these also.

And now famous question section:
I want to travel Finland to Bremen, Germany.
My friend wants also travel to Bremen from Copenhagen.
What will be the costs and travel time for me and to my friend from Copenhagen?

Answer:
For me its 21,99 € and takes 2 hours.
To my friend....Cheapest flight 141€ and takes 16 hours, by train average price 80 € and average travel time is 8 hours.
So maybe my friend want to take bus?
Average price 40 € and travel time is around 9 hours.

Around same prices and travel times from Stockholm to Bremen
So...What were you saying concerning easy and cheap?
Or...Maybe example Bremen is not other part of Europe at all?

What if like fly to New York?
From Helsinki 8 hours 40 min and from Stockholm 8 hours 30 min.
From Copenhagen 8 hours 35 min.
Oh no...Copenhagen is sooo much more far away from New York than Stockholm!

Lesson is that planet is not flat ( Short/fast route between two points on ball surface is not straight line) and logistic is more important than location if like to travel fast and/or cheap.

And finally, Stockholm or Copenhagen?
My opinion is Copenhagen.
And reason for this is not "Fast&cheap" travel to the other parts of Europe....It's Copenhagen because better beer and better food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe