Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 02:12 AM

779 posts, read 595,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Hostile environment? When the classroom is filled with guys, girls could feel threatened and unwelcomed. The situation is even worse with boys, like if you hang out with girls too much or read some serious books, you are instantly gay.

Study has shown that in all-girl high schools, students are far more likely to choose the STEM route. I think that's saying a lot. For example in Taiwan, which is not a country known for gender equality (in fact if you ask me I'd say it's a misogynistic, patriarchal, sexist cesspool), in all-girl high schools, the ratio of girls choosing the science route versus the arts route is about 2:1 or 3:1. Food for thought.
It's much simpler than that, men and women have different aspirations. Most women want to do something else than STEM, which is not wrong at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 06:47 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,316,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Uhm... If I am surrounded by a gang of muslims, ( or any other gang for this matter) guess whom I'd prefer to see as arriving police team? Couple of women or couple of men?
Duh!
And I don't care where this would happen - in the US or Sweden)))
The question isn´t about male or female officers, it´s about female officers or no officers at all.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:50 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,316,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Very interesting, thank you.

"The right has cut taxes"? What Right? When in fairly recent times was any Right in sufficient control of government to lower taxes? I missed something. I thought the main two parties in Sweden were more like centrist vs. Left. But that was a long time ago, I guess. Times have changed? Pardon my ignorance.
Our right wing party Moderaterna is centre right and liberal conservative according to Wikipedia.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:12 AM

8,863 posts, read 8,434,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
In High School the gender ratio was 50/50, it is not common knowledge in High School how bad the gender ratio is, and girls have easier entrance requirements. So why would they feel intimidated to pick science?
Like I said. They would know that if they pick science, the classrooms would be mostly male (based on past experience). That's an intimidating environment.

Quote:
I have noticed that asians tend to pick majors after career opportunities. This explains why the gender ratio is actually better in Taiwan. In Norway you are told to pick the major you are most interested in, and if you told anyone that you picked a major due to career opportunities, some people will look down on you. The result is that girls who are good in science and like science, often do not choose science because it is not their main interest.
It is true that Asians pick majors after career opportunities, but the studies that have shown the empowerment of all-female high schools aren't about Taiwan, I just used it as an example, but about America. Here's another one for Australia.

Old 06-05-2017, 04:39 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
In High School the gender ratio was 50/50, it is not common knowledge in High School how bad the gender ratio is, and girls have easier entrance requirements. So why would they feel intimidated to pick science?

I have noticed that asians tend to pick majors after career opportunities. This explains why the gender ratio is actually better in Taiwan. In Norway you are told to pick the major you are most interested in, and if you told anyone that you picked a major due to career opportunities, some people will look down on you. The result is that girls who are good in science and like science, often do not choose science because it is not their main interest.
the bolded part piqued my interest - in what way are entrance requirements easier for girls?

Old 06-05-2017, 05:00 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Oh horror, horror, I'm telling you))) Fix it somehow, quick))))
It's not a laughing matter. Engineering and programming are high-paying jobs. "Women's professions" tend to be lower-paying. In the US there are women engineers (I don't have statistics, though), and there are programs to recruit, support and help retain women in engineering. There are women programmers as well. Physics--ok, not too many women physicists.

I find it interesting that New Zealand had much better ratios. @Camlon, did you get any idea why more women went into engineering and programming in NZ, while you were there?

Old 06-05-2017, 05:07 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Hostile environment? When the classroom is filled with guys, girls could feel threatened and unwelcomed. The situation is even worse with boys, like if you hang out with girls too much or read some serious books, you are instantly gay.

Study has shown that in all-girl high schools, students are far more likely to choose the STEM route. I think that's saying a lot. For example in Taiwan, which is not a country known for gender equality (in fact if you ask me I'd say it's a misogynistic, patriarchal, sexist cesspool), in all-girl high schools, the ratio of girls choosing the science route versus the arts route is about 2:1 or 3:1. Food for thought.
Have you ever checked out aboriginal communities in Taiwan? COMPLETELY different vibe! FABULOUS people! Radically different culture in how they relate to women, in my experience, like night and day. Lanyu, during the spring boat-dedication festival, or during New Year, when the young people are home visiting their parents, are good times to connect with people. Caution: if you do go, take the plane, don't go by boat.

Old 06-05-2017, 05:27 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,069,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
the bolded part piqued my interest - in what way are entrance requirements easier for girls?
In Norway, grades goes from 1 to 6, but most students will get an average between 4 and 5.5. This is multiplied by 10 and they add some bonus points.

This means, if you are a man you might need 5.3 to study engineering, but if you are a woman you need 5.1. This is for women, men don't get points for studies that are dominated by females. That would be against Norway's anti-discrimination laws.

Gender Points Norway

Quote:
It's not a laughing matter. Engineering and programming are high-paying jobs. "Women's professions" tend to be lower-paying. In the US there are women engineers (I don't have statistics, though), and there are programs to recruit, support and help retain women in engineering. There are women programmers as well. Physics--ok, not too many women physicists.

I find it interesting that New Zealand had much better ratios. @Camlon, did you get any idea why more women went into engineering and programming in NZ, while you were there?
Agree completly.

To be honest, the main reason the gender ratio was acceptable was due to the high number of asians in New Zealand. Both among local asians and international students from Malaysia and China the gender ratio was pretty much 50/50.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:19 PM

26,773 posts, read 22,518,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
The question isn´t about male or female officers, it´s about female officers or no officers at all.
Wha???))))
What happened to all the male officers?

Old 06-05-2017, 06:39 PM

26,773 posts, read 22,518,410 times
Quote:
So what am I suppose to do here - to cry?
Ruth you know by now that I am not a "politically correct person," so here are the US statistics more or less, and they make me to shrug my shoulders, since I obviously don't believe in all these "social construct" explanations on a subject, pushed in the US.
I've already wrote before that there were no such "social constructs" back in the Soviet Union - girls were encouraged as much as boys to excel in math and physics, yet the results were approximately the same.
( Note I specifically omit biology, since it's a part of STEM as far as I remember, however when I see the "number of women involved in STEM" - I always want to ask how many of them are specifically in BIOLOGY.
Back in Russia Biology was never clustered together with Math and Physics, so women were more likely to go in the former, but not in the latter. )

Last edited by erasure; 06-05-2017 at 07:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe