Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 08:30 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
You mean Gaddafi who bombed his own people or Assad who is still doing the same? The west isn't to blame for everything.
Assad is the elected president, he does what any country would do when there is an armed opposition trying to topple the legitimate government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
They can draw from their sizable Diasporas that have rooted in Europe and the US. Africa, for anything, would have the benefit of seeing how Asia and Europe got it back together as an example instead of having to "figure it all out".

What holds Africa back is 1)Ethnic strife. People need to learn to live with one another 2)Law and Order, 3)Good Governance. Remove those three and Africa can soar.
Well, the colonial powers deliberately drew borders in a way that makes sure there would be ethnic conflict, i.e. Africans fighting each other rather than the colonial occupants.

People can't just live together. Just look at Northern Ireland. The differences between Northern Ireland and Ireland are ridiculous compared to the differences within Nigeria and such African countries.

In many African countries there is also a conflict between Muslims and Christians, just like there is in India and other countries around the world. You can't tell people to just get along in Africa when they don't elsewhere, either.

So, I think first of all Africans should redraw their borders.

Then make sure there is electricity 24/7, which also enables air conditioning, which is important in such climates. Singapore would not be what it is today if it weren't for air conditioning. It used to be a hot, mosquito-infested dump in the past, now it is one of the leading cities in the world. High temps and humidity make people lazy, anywhere. The human body simply doesn't like such conditions.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:36 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
As an American, we should do more since we have more land and resources than Europe. Also, we are a immigrant nation that can absorb new cultures without the complexities of pre-existing ones. Of course, we can't take everyone in either.
We have plenty of land. Land that is thinly populated by impoverished, underemployed Americans. How is importing millions of impoverished Africans into an impoverished land going to help anyone?

I do agree that there is a role that America can play in helping African people, but simply housing people and feeding people on vacant land while we can't even provide basic healthcare to a significant number of our own people is short sighted to the point of madness.

Old 07-09-2017, 02:47 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
We have plenty of land. Land that is thinly populated by impoverished, underemployed Americans. How is importing millions of impoverished Africans into an impoverished land going to help anyone?

I do agree that there is a role that America can play in helping African people, but simply housing people and feeding people on vacant land while we can't even provide basic healthcare to a significant number of our own people is short sighted to the point of madness.
then ask your government to stop bomb other countries and create refugees.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:30 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, the colonial powers deliberately drew borders in a way that makes sure there would be ethnic conflict, i.e. Africans fighting each other rather than the colonial occupants.

People can't just live together. Just look at Northern Ireland. The differences between Northern Ireland and Ireland are ridiculous compared to the differences within Nigeria and such African countries.

In many African countries there is also a conflict between Muslims and Christians, just like there is in India and other countries around the world. You can't tell people to just get along in Africa when they don't elsewhere, either.

So, I think first of all Africans should redraw their borders.

Then make sure there is electricity 24/7, which also enables air conditioning, which is important in such climates. Singapore would not be what it is today if it weren't for air conditioning. It used to be a hot, mosquito-infested dump in the past, now it is one of the leading cities in the world. High temps and humidity make people lazy, anywhere. The human body simply doesn't like such conditions.
I don't know if it was so much deliberate as they just didn't care. I'd doubt the leading Africa experts of the 1880s really even knew the social geography of the continent beyond "there's these people over here and those people over there". Most whites of that era were rather paternalistic towards their colonized peoples and figured it'd work itself out.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:37 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

Any migrants into America are more likely than not not going to move to Nebraska or Arkansas. They'll stream into metro areas creating businesses and housing demand and continue to power our economy just like the Asians and Latin Americans.

America is an economic and resource powerhouse. Those impoverished folks out in the country are unfortunately holding onto a world that will never return. I don't say that to be dismissive of their plight because it's heartbreaking, but if for anything, their condition would be worse off if the metro areas weren't strong enough to keep the country humming along. Many European/East Asian countries have similar rural/urban prosperity divides.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:48 AM

Yes, despite the statistical population density, vast areas are almost uninhabited in Europe as well, and increasingly so.
There are regions in Spain, Portugal and France, as well as Scandinavia that have the same population density as Siberia
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ity_Europe.png

The government here is trying hard to lure doctors to rural areas, but despite considerable incentives hardly anyone wants to move and work there. Everybody wants to live in the cities these days...
If even natives don't want to move to rural areas, why would migrants who would feel even more isolated there as they don't speak the language.
Many migrants have left families at home and those expect the emigrants to make it in Europe and send home money. They won't make it in rural Europe, where they are often met with hostility as they are considered intruders. Locals seem to prefer dying out to fresh, foreign blood. So, naturally they move to where jobs are, i.e. the cities, the bigger the better.

Last edited by Neuling; 07-09-2017 at 07:57 AM..

Old 07-09-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
I don't know if it was so much deliberate as they just didn't care. I'd doubt the leading Africa experts of the 1880s really even knew the social geography of the continent beyond "there's these people over here and those people over there". Most whites of that era were rather paternalistic towards their colonized peoples and figured it'd work itself out.
Colonial Brits were well aware of the hostilities between African ethnic groups, and they used them to their advantage.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:18 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
Gates is right. What more can I say ?

Old 07-09-2017, 11:26 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,290,442 times
Do you guys mean that crossing the sea on a boat containing 200 people when only 50 should be carried, with the danger of being drowned is an easy task ?

I mean, I like black humor but that's a bit too much for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe