Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 11:37 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times

Advertisements

It's not Gates' view to begin with. Lots of people have said so long before him, including right-wing nationalists, racists, etc. Australia has had such a tough, deterrent policy for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 02:14 PM

766 posts, read 1,254,071 times
Massive population boom in Africa is incoming and we're feeding it with the billions in aid being sent. World is overpopulated as it is, the money should be staying in America where we actually need it.

Old 07-09-2017, 03:15 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
Massive population boom in Africa is incoming and we're feeding it with the billions in aid being sent. World is overpopulated as it is, the money should be staying in America where we actually need it.
That has to do with the still somewhat dated mindset of many Africans, who think they should have as many kids as possible, and if possible boys. Same thing happens in countries like Afghanistan. I don't really know what the logic behind that is, maybe it's because of the lack of a social security system. Or the rampant conservative, religious and often even superstitious attitudes. It is a rather egoistic and short-sighted approach...

Old 07-09-2017, 03:52 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,332,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
I agree this is the biggest challenge to mankind. Overpopulation is also related to other problems such as territorial conflicts, lack of ressources, food, oil.

The question is, if at all, how can we stop those people making more and more children that they cannot feed? If I don't have the money to feed 1 child, why making 5?

Old 07-09-2017, 08:04 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
then ask your government to stop bomb other countries and create refugees.
I did. They haven't gotten back to me yet. (But even more to the point, which countries in Africa are we bombing?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Any migrants into America are more likely than not not going to move to Nebraska or Arkansas. They'll stream into metro areas creating businesses and housing demand and continue to power our economy just like the Asians and Latin Americans.

America is an economic and resource powerhouse. Those impoverished folks out in the country are unfortunately holding onto a world that will never return. I don't say that to be dismissive of their plight because it's heartbreaking, but if for anything, their condition would be worse off if the metro areas weren't strong enough to keep the country humming along. Many European/East Asian countries have similar rural/urban prosperity divides.
I was pedantically replying to a poster whose logic was that a large refugee influx was supportable due to our surplus of physical land area.

As for streaming into cities, the author of The Creative Class, Richard Florida, was just discussing how America's urban areas are now in an 'hourglass' social configuration which is a metaphor for an economic stratification that consists of an intensely wealthy "knowledge-centered" workforce at the top (finance, tech), and a state supported, impoverished, increasingly welfare dependent underclass.

The former middle class, who were the business creators and housing demanders, are forced into the outer suburbs which, lacking opportunity and market for business and enterpreneurship, are now becoming the new ghettos. Rent in America's economic powerhouse cities is geared towards the very well off and the only poor that can live in the city are reliant on massive housing projects and section 8 housing assistance.

In addition to this housing crisis and workforce disparity, service jobs, those that support the lower and middle classes, are increasingly being automated, otherwise made obsolete, or are already filled by the 10+ million undocumented workers who are already doing "the jobs Americans won't do."--- until robots are washing dishes, vacuuming floors, and mowing lawns. Where does any sizable influx of uneducated African economic refugees fit into the current state of our economy?

I am not anti-refugee or anti-immigration -in a vacuum- but given the current circumstances, the type of simple gate-opening that worked in the 19th century is a recipe for strife and social upheaval, if not famine if a sudden large influx of low education, non-English speaking immigrant cannot become productive within the first generation.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:25 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,495,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
I agree this is the biggest challenge to mankind. Overpopulation is also related to other problems such as territorial conflicts, lack of ressources, food, oil.

The question is, if at all, how can we stop those people making more and more children that they cannot feed? If I don't have the money to feed 1 child, why making 5?
I think unchecked population growth is one of the biggest issues we as humans are likely going to face. The Earth has plenty of space to accomodate people but resources are going to become an even greater point of contention.

I think the best way to curve this mentality is through education and employment. Religion is another problem in excessive measures as it heavily influences people in impoverished areas, especially the mindset of having more kids in order to further ones cause.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:44 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,324,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I think unchecked population growth is one of the biggest issues we as humans are likely going to face. The Earth has plenty of space to accomodate people but resources are going to become an even greater point of contention.
I checked to see if any of the arguments about this have developed since several years ago when I last reviewed them.

Around that time, the alarmists lost most of the arguments about agricultural sustainability, food distribution, sociocultural effects and so on, so they fell back to using predictive models based on climate science. Over time, that dialectic developed into the usual debate about climate change.

I don't think things have changed much since then.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:29 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That has to do with the still somewhat dated mindset of many Africans, who think they should have as many kids as possible, and if possible boys. Same thing happens in countries like Afghanistan. I don't really know what the logic behind that is, maybe it's because of the lack of a social security system. Or the rampant conservative, religious and often even superstitious attitudes. It is a rather egoistic and short-sighted approach...
https://www.populationeducation.org/...ansition-model

Old 07-10-2017, 06:31 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post

same problem with those dirty italians and irish people invading British North America 150 to 100 years ago.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:35 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,495,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
I checked to see if any of the arguments about this have developed since several years ago when I last reviewed them.

Around that time, the alarmists lost most of the arguments about agricultural sustainability, food distribution, sociocultural effects and so on, so they fell back to using predictive models based on climate science. Over time, that dialectic developed into the usual debate about climate change.

I don't think things have changed much since then.
Like I said,it's not so much about physical space as there is plenty of room to accomodate a larger population. Climate change is definitely a real concern, but even that is not the only reason that overpopulation is a concern.
It's about infrastructure and the means of production. Countries need to have gradual rather than exponential growth if they are to be sustainable in the long run.

Overpopulation will increase unemployment levels worldwide, increase inequality, lead to an even greater scattering of resources all on top of climate change.
So yes, population definitely needs to increase to ensure human growth, but it needs to happen at a steady pace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe