Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 04:01 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,020,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Are you saying that you, as a Bulgarian, identify more with the Bulgars, Huns, Mongols and maybe Turks than Slavs?

In any case, I agree that the term "Eastern Europe", just like "Middle East", is biased and self-serving for a select few.

While we're at it, let's drop too another biased and self-serving term, "medieval".
More or less that's what I'm saying. Russia and Ukraine had taken their church, writing, architecture from Greece, Macedonia and Bulgaria and not vice-versa. Until the 18th century slavic countries had no power. Even Poland-Lituania wasn't that slavic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 04:18 PM

9,364 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
More or less that's what I'm saying. Russia and Ukraine had taken their church, writing, architecture from Greece, Macedonia and Bulgaria and not vice-versa. Until the 18th century slavic countries had no power. Even Poland-Lithuania wasn't that slavic.
Thank you for your candidness and clarity, I appreciate it.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:27 PM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:
More or less that's what I'm saying. Russia and Ukraine had taken their church, writing, architecture from Greece, Macedonia and Bulgaria and not vice-versa. Until the 18th century slavic countries had no power. Even Poland-Lituania wasn't that slavic.
Russia ( with its capital in Kiev back then) DEFINITELY took its church from Byzantium, not "Greece Macedonia and Bulgaria."
And it definitely had power already before the 18th century.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Russia ( with its capital in Kiev back then) DEFINITELY took its church from Byzantium, not "Greece Macedonia and Bulgaria."
And it definitely had power already before the 18th century.
So Byzantium had absolutely nothing to do with Greece lol...even today in bulgaria the greeks are called "vizantiici" though it has negative context.
The power before the 18th century was Poles taking over Moscow in 1600-something, Napoleon doing the same later or the bulgars stopping Genghiz Khan from further destruction to the slavic kingdoms. Even when the Huns arrived in eastern europe the local slavic tribes ended up their subjects which is why you have Hungary or Bulgaria but not "Slavia".

Old 07-11-2017, 05:44 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,381,116 times
Quote:
Still only Paris, London sound dangerous due to terrorism threats and Marseilles or Sicilly for the mafias, but I can't think of anything scary in Spain, Switzerland, Germany, Ireland or so.
Those are not eastern European countries

Old 07-11-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
So Byzantium had absolutely nothing to do with Greece lol...even today in bulgaria the greeks are called "vizantiici" though it has negative context.
It's not that Byzantium ( or Eastern Roman Empire) didn't have "anything to do with Greece," but Byzantium was much bigger than just "Greece," and Bulgaria ( along with Macedonia and other Balkan countries) were a part of it. All together they belonged ( and were united) under the "Eastern Roman Church." Now when "early Russians" in Kiev were looking into conversion to Christianity, they rejected Rome ( or Western Roman Catholic Church) and specifically chose Byzantium, because of all the trade ties. Byzantium agreed, BUT on a condition that Russia would become part of Byzantium church. Russian princes ( first Oleg and then Vladimir from what I remember) refused, insisting on having their own acephalous church. The negotiations were going back and forth, but at the end Russians got what they insisted on, and proved to be right, because shortly after that Byzantium Empire fell to Muslims, with biggest Christian cathedral Hagia Sophia becoming the biggest mosque in the world.
The destiny of people USED to be part of Byzantium was sad to say the least, because now they were subjected under Islam for what?... next three-four centuries?
Russians ( considering now themselves the successors of Byzantium) made their goal "liberation of people of Byzantium from Islamic oppression,) which led to later wars with Turkey. (One of Russian tzars - don't remember now which one - Alexander?) made this goal official.)

Quote:
The power before the 18th century was Poles taking over Moscow in 1600-something,
This is a totally different story; this was what's known in Russian history as the "Time of Troubles," between the death of the last tzar of Rurik ( Scandinavian) dynasty and the establishment of the new Romanov's dynasty.
But even during these "turbulent times" Russians managed to prevail, when their throne was claimed ( there was an attempt) to claim it by Poland ( or rather Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.)
Just in case if anyone wondered - that's what the particular bronze monument on the Red Square in front of the St. Basil Cathedral is devoted to - these particular events.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monume..._and_Pozharsky

Quote:
Napoleon doing the same later or the bulgars stopping Genghiz Khan from further destruction to the slavic kingdoms. Even when the Huns arrived in eastern europe the local slavic tribes ended up their subjects which is why you have Hungary or Bulgaria but not "Slavia".
Speak for yourself, because Russians always managed to prevail at the end)))
But, as I've said - they had their own acephalous church, they were not part of the defeated Byzantium Empire to begin with...

Last edited by erasure; 07-11-2017 at 06:11 PM..

Old 07-12-2017, 02:28 PM

OK, but Bizantium were mostly populated by greeks and it was greek speaking, which was my point.
your 2nd reason: OK, this still does't contradict what I meant and:
I didn't say that Russia can't prevail, I mean't the local slavs didn't in the lands of the balkans and nearby.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
OK, but Bizantium were mostly populated by greeks and it was greek speaking, which was my point.
your 2nd reason: OK, this still does't contradict what I meant and:
I didn't say that Russia can't prevail, I mean't the local slavs didn't in the lands of the balkans and nearby.
They couldn't prevail because they were the leftovers of the defeated Empire.
That's the whole point.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:06 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
Really? Most people in Latin America seem to make little distinction between Western and Eastern Europe and assume that it is roughly the same across the continent. People here seem truly surprised when I tell them that Russia is no more rich than Argentina or Chile
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe