Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 03:47 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,072,959 times

Advertisements

I guess I am different in this regard. I obviously want the historical district to be kept, and I like the idea of having an old town and a business district further away. In Europe most cities tend to preserve old buildings, because doing anything else would cause an outrage.

But I feel a lot of city planners overrate their historical buildings. If the building is only 50 - 100 years old, and is not even pretty, then just tear it down and build something prettier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 07:31 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I think the roads in Europe should be widened so that Americans vacationing there can bring their big vehicles with them.
Don't you folks know a joke when you see it?

Old 07-16-2017, 08:18 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,185,741 times
Oslo:

In 1956 the new owners tore down this buliding (top) to erect an ugly functionalist high-rise (bottom) The latter has now been preserved.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:38 AM

779 posts, read 595,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Oslo:

In 1956 the new owners tore down this buliding (top) to erect an ugly functionalist high-rise (bottom) The latter has now been preserved.

Yeah, preserved for what reason

Europe is full of such ugly buildings.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:46 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,953,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
I am talking architecture here. Warsaw, London, Moscow... Their skylines are getting very modern and some people are bothered by that. Do you think this modernization of European skylines are bad or good?
Europe has no where to grow, so there is no option other than to build up. It's on the shoulders of architects to ensure that new buildings fit with the urban environments.

Western European cities, towns, and countryside typically had what would translate to a "beauty commission" to ensure that new buildings did fit with surrounding style. Is that a thing of the past?

Old 07-16-2017, 10:46 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,882 times
cmptrwit's post reminds me of a book I came across in the public library. This book was actually about buildings that were torn down in the USA. Which were photographed before destruction.

Not old by European standards, but the buildings actually had some character. Far more character than Modernist slabs. Unfortunately, an irreparable loss.

Such a waste.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:36 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Don't you folks know a joke when you see it?
LOL - I remember the scene in National Lampoons European Vacation when the Griswolds couldn't get off that roundabout.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:42 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,240,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post
Great vid about modern architecture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GapUEKYLE1o

Couldn't agree more.
The man has no idea what he is rambling about. What is missing from most peoples sharp critique of modernism is that the men who designed those buildings came from a world that looked much different to our own. Now we look at old buildings and think they look quaint and beautiful. For the men who grew up in them back from the 1880's to the 1920's, they were often uncomfortable, cramped, dark, dingy, dusty, filthy, and more then then not disease ridden places.

This is what most them probably remembered from their childhood. If you grew up like that you can imagine why something modernist with its clean and functional look would be attractive.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:36 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,324,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
The man has no idea what he is rambling about. What is missing from most peoples sharp critique of modernism is that the men who designed those buildings came from a world that looked much different to our own. Now we look at old buildings and think they look quaint and beautiful. For the men who grew up in them back from the 1880's to the 1920's, they were often uncomfortable, cramped, dark, dingy, dusty, filthy, and more then then not disease ridden places.

This is what most them probably remembered from their childhood. If you grew up like that you can imagine why something modernist with its clean and functional look would be attractive.
You're talking about infrastructure, public health and sanitation. He's talking about architecture. I would consider these two very different things.

For example, many tenements like those you show in your picture have been converted into modern apartments, while their architectural facades have been preserved.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:49 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Greenwich Peninsula - London 1980's where the 02 Arena now stands.

Construction is underway on this on the site

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-17-2017 at 05:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe