Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2017, 06:47 AM

278 posts, read 227,670 times

Advertisements

Ste 68.-

It is true what, you say.-

Germany and Spain have never had wars and Spain may be the only country that always look to the Germans with sympathy.
But I have almost always seen a mentality of superiority so excessive in the industry in the Germans that it is absurd to some Spaniards and for others it produces laughter -.

Because the Spaniards individually have a national charateristic and a secular mentality of personal pride (not national)already legendary in the history and literature,(perhaps of religious origin) ,even in the
beggars very different from the German who is a nationalist and, are they very humbles and disciplined hierarchically.-

it is also true that this phenomenon so gross of superiority is not so appreciated in the most cultured Germans.-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 07:48 AM

4,346 posts, read 2,766,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Levi Strauss (-> Levi's) was himself from Bavaria, actually not far from where the Dassler brothers founded Adidas and Puma. It seems jeans and sneakers are rather German to begin with
Maybe they are. Strauss made his fortune, though, selling blue jeans to the 49ers of gold rush fame. They started in America as working class attire where they stayed for an 100 years. There were sneakers in the US long before Adidas and Puma showed up. We had Converse All Stars, Keds, etc.

I can speak only for the towns I've been to. There, the people are better dressed than in America. Polo shirts, slacks, shoes vs. jeans, tee shirts and sneakers. And generally, if a person was over 25 - 30 had blue jeans on, the odds were he was a tourist.

They weren't as fat as Americans either.

I don't think the OP had clothes or weight in mind when he asked what's wrong with Germany, but there it is. Maybe that's what's right with Germany.

Although I would throw in their education system, particularly the apprenticeship programs and giving vocational training equal status to collegiate preparation. This generates many benefits for German society and prevents many harms.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:31 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,312,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
^ In what category Dubai isn't? Better question:

* highest building in the world;
* most expensive hotel;
* supposedly best roads in the world;
* friendliest people...likely;
* first man-made islands;
* friendly to foreigners (locals are minority);
* climate (the whole city is extended around the beach + palms and ocean of course);
* animal welfare, no dog eating or killing stray animals, cat caffe etc;
* Arabic and English spoken

I can go on...I've lived there for nearly 3 years, can't think of a single thing I didn't like, maybe the lack of seasons only.
Dubai is best in NO category that plays any, not even a minor role for me.

Those are random records that actually nobody cares about. Wohooo we have some skyscrapers in the desert.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:00 AM

5,257 posts, read 3,963,593 times
^ So according to you when people visit foreign country they don't care about how friendly the locas are, if they speak English, if they have the most impressive buildings and of course who gives a flying f!ck about the climate...lets go to Mars or Venus...no need to check if it's possible to breathe there...

Apparently the world is just gay prides in Berlin or Octoberfest.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
^ So according to you when people visit foreign country they don't care about how friendly the locas are, if they speak English, if they have the most impressive buildings and of course who gives a flying f!ck about the climate...lets go to Mars or Venus...no need to check if it's possible to breathe there...

Apparently the world is just gay prides in Berlin or Octoberfest.
Ahh come on. Friendly locals... do you mean the Arabs, who do not care about anybody there and do not even greet, or do you mean the guest worker that are treated like slaves and pretend a nice smile not to lose their job? I never met anybody there who was "friendly".

Clima? Horrible heat. Should invent an aircondition-suit.
Impressive buildings? Nah, just skyscrapers.
Speak english? Obviously they don't in the US, do they?
Landscape and nature? Not existing.
Historic architectrue? Not existing.
Local food? Mehh, rather mediocre.

In the Arab world there are several places that are interesting for me as a tourist destination. For example Oman, Yemen (not with the current safety situation), even Iran (loved the architecture in Uzbekistan which is very similar). But Saudiland or UAE?

Old 07-21-2017, 09:29 AM

Climate: well you can't have everything, if you want white sands + palms + greenish sea, then the temperature is too high, besides heat is actually good for number of health issues such as heart issues (as in my case), and they have air condiioning everywhere even on some bus stops;

Skyscrapers, hotels in interesting shapes, big mosques...;

Food, for as long as they have fast/junk food + 100% arabica coffee I'm fine with it.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:45 AM

1,529 posts, read 908,595 times
The answer to the thread is "nothing". lol

Old 07-21-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post
The answer to the thread is "nothing". lol
Haha, actually there are many things wrong in Germany, but none/few of them are discussed in this thread. But good to leave some haters room for their bashing, otherwise they may turn their suppressed anger into something more dangerous.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
something more dangerous.
such as Russia? which is just regional power these days (as Obama called them), they don't deserve the attention they get from US media.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:18 AM

25,915 posts, read 24,573,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Maybe they are. Strauss made his fortune, though, selling blue jeans to the 49ers of gold rush fame. They started in America as working class attire where they stayed for an 100 years. There were sneakers in the US long before Adidas and Puma showed up. We had Converse All Stars, Keds, etc.

I can speak only for the towns I've been to. There, the people are better dressed than in America. Polo shirts, slacks, shoes vs. jeans, tee shirts and sneakers. And generally, if a person was over 25 - 30 had blue jeans on, the odds were he was a tourist.

They weren't as fat as Americans either.

I don't think the OP had clothes or weight in mind when he asked what's wrong with Germany, but there it is. Maybe that's what's right with Germany.

Although I would throw in their education system, particularly the apprenticeship programs and giving vocational training equal status to collegiate preparation. This generates many benefits for German society and prevents many harms.
Blue jeans were from Genoa, Italy, originally. Actually, the word jean is said to come from Genoa.

Your observation regarding German dressing habits just doesn't match what I saw during the decades I lived there. To the contrary, many Americans wear chinos, which are not so popular in Germany.
It also depends on the time of year. During the winter people tend to wear warmer types of pants such as corduroy.
And it depends on the region. Northern Germans dress a bit differently than Bavarians, which might also has to do with the zones after the war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe