Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 10:33 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,442,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordeaux33 View Post

It sounds like something people would say in here too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 10:55 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,331,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Can someone explain to me why it is so much important to cool down to coldish 15c when it is a perfect 25c outside??
AC is usefull when having strong heat waves. Even the. There are natural means to avoid it. Chutters are made for that. When in the US houses have wide windows lettin all the sun get in in summer. In mediterranean countries poeple chut their chutters during the day, it is a natural AC... letting solar energy getting in and then spending incredible amots of energy to try to cool down is just absurd.

If someone is too hot when it is just 25c inside he just have to put out his suit and will be confortable... and then it is not just offices. Why all your malls are cool down so much ? I do not think it is a necessoty to wear suit in a mall or a shop...
Nobody cools it down to 15c, but something around 20-22c is enough, at 25c it is already not really comfortable to work in a suit. Also, it depends on the humidity and wind, 25c outside in the wind is perfectly wind, 25c in the office with few wind and high humidity before a thunderstorm or whatever is just disgusting. AC does not only reduce temperature but especially does reduce humidity.

Also natural sunlight is more healthy at the work place than only artificial light. What is the problem to use energy to cool down the building? Are we lacking energy or what?

I am not sure about malls in the US, but here in Europe they are often heated to much in the winter. When I am coming from outside with a winter coat and enter the store, it is often 25c while 0c outside. THAT is wasted energy in my opinion. People anyways walk in with a winter coat. I cannot stay there longer than 10 minutes.

Simple rule is one should always agree on the lowest possible temperature among the people in office, as I said dressing up is always possible, but sitting at my chair naked is not what anybody wants to see.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:04 AM

387 posts, read 379,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
It sounds like something people would say in here too!
As in Italy, there was a rumor that AC was bad for health, because of the change in temperature.

Even for cars, it had a reputation for polluting the air with carbon dioxide and other particles inside the passenger compartment.

Old 07-22-2017, 12:57 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've read that A/C is still considered a luxury in Europe. .
Stop kidding yourself.

AC is not lacking in Europe. Many household choose not to have one because the weather is not extreme enough to need that. Here in Grenoble, one of the hot cities in France, we regularly have 32-35C, but during the night, it drops to 18-22, and I need a blanket to sleep most of the night. During the day, a small fan is enough, and I don't even need that because it is a dry heat and it is cool indoors.

ACs are widely available in businesses and office buildings. In the store, there are all kinds of them too. Many simply don't have the habit of owning one. A luxury?

Do you really think Americans get the best of it? In NYC and other cities, many apartments still use the "window units", which would be laughable to look at even in any Chinese city. I mean, window units, when are we, 1990?

Old 07-22-2017, 12:59 PM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Stop kidding yourself.

AC is not lacking in Europe. Many household choose not to have one because the weather is not extreme enough to need that. Here in Grenoble, one of the hot cities in France, we regularly have 32-35C, but during the night, it drops to 18-22, and I need a blanket to sleep most of the night. During the day, a small fan is enough, and I don't even need that because it is a dry heat and it is cool indoors.

ACs are widely available in businesses and office buildings. In the store, there are all kinds of them too. Many simply don't have the habit of owning one. A luxury?

Do you really think Americans get the best of it? In NYC and other cities, many apartments still use the "window units", which would be laughable to look at even in any Chinese city. I mean, window units, when are we, 1990?
It's is only laughable if you have no idea what it costs to retrofit a multistory residential building with a/c.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:13 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
It's is only laughable if you have no idea what it costs to retrofit a multistory residential building with a/c.
"window units" are laughable, period. It is not just about how backward it is. It is loud and inefficient.

It is just laughable many Americans think they have the best technology in the world. Oh, I forget those monstrous water tanks in each household's basement. That's some dinosaur from the 1990 as well.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:32 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
"window units" are laughable, period. It is not just about how backward it is. It is loud and inefficient.

It is just laughable many Americans think they have the best technology in the world. Oh, I forget those monstrous water tanks in each household's basement. That's some dinosaur from the 1990 as well.
You'll be pleased to know that in most of the US, central air rather than window units is the standard. Not saying you'll never see a window unit but they're rare and getting more rare.

And I've truly never seen whatever it is you're talking about - a monstrous water tank in a basement? What the heck is that? Don't have one, have never had one, and have never seen one.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:09 PM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
I am always getting upset when people in office complain that the AC is too cold, especially women do. Hell, I am wearing suit most of the time, so if you are cold just wear more clothes and don't show up with short skirts and flipflops, it's office and no beach.

It is always easy to warm up by wearing more clothes, but it is impossible to cool down when you are hot and sweating.
That means you have to carry a lot of heavy clothing until the middle of the summer, which is kinda absurd. I understand the suit situation is annoying, but in houses it does not make much sense in many countries.

Well, not here because it's 29c right now at midnight indoors, but still...

Old 07-22-2017, 04:52 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
It's called cultural differences, folks. One size doesn't fit all. AC and climate doesn't make anyone more or less smart, or sophisticated, or superior. There are good reasons for some folks to have AC and good reasons for others not to. I honestly don't see why anyone would look down on people in other countries who prefer or don't prefer AC. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised!

Old 07-22-2017, 04:54 PM

345 posts, read 268,698 times
What age are you talking about? Heat pumps are everywhere in southern Europe and elsewhere. Window units are only present in American movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe