Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 03:01 PM

58 posts, read 45,395 times

Advertisements

I won't comment on the cities itself. Barcelona is very close to the mountains but not directly in the mountains. How often people with their busy lives get to experience that is a good question. Many people who actually live in the mountains don't appreciate the nature because they don't care or just too used to their surroundings. Same issue everywhere.

Both Stockholm and Helsinki metros actually have nice landscapes. Very nice from the sea of course. The whole Gulf is stunning. It is different both to the med or adria. Not everyone has a sailboat unfortunately. I don't and that is a minus. Further deep inland both Stockholm and Helsinki has some very beautiful scenery as well. Driving on the bigger roads the scenery might be mediocre in both Stockholm and Helsinki. There is some mediocre agricultural land in both of those areas. Neither of those places offer mountains. Summers are short as well. Different parts of the Alps and Pyrenees are different in themselves. The mountain people who appreciate nature will find things they like in both places even if they miss their big hills
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 03:17 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,795,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
Looks like you know not more about Marseille...It has 5 million tourists per year. How much for Finland per year ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
The entire Finland attracted 4.6m tourists in 2015 (get that: most from Russia, your genetically connected cousins), while 5M for Marseilles in 2014 alone.

People outside Russia are simply not interested in Finland.
7.4 million are the official numbers in 2015. 1/3 of the foreign tourists of China. Outside Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macao people are simply not interested in China.

Top 5 foreign visitors in Finland are: Sweden, Russia, Germany, UK, US. China and Japan are on a steep rise.

Quote:
Aaah, then you can enlight us ! But then when someone says Marseille is just a cesspool compare to Helsinki and its surroundings it's normal

Alala my poor Marseille, you are not only Kalachnikovs, drugs and garbage specially for nature
It is compared to Helsinki.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:34 PM

9,356 posts, read 14,299,663 times
Quote:
Idk, Nice is in a good location between the sea, and Mercantour national park in Alps (+3000m)... Barcelona too, between sea and Pyrenees
On that note, also Naples: Vesuvius is beautifully haunting.

Either way, mountains and sea are what the Mediterranean is all about.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:18 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,286,521 times
Finland is mostly unknown and a bit far from the bigger tourism destinations. Another thing that goes against it is the fact that northern europe is generally more expensive than the rest of the continent.

Marseille rules as a tourism destination and it's just starting to be noticed. Hopefully I'll make it to Helsinki in this decade.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:26 PM

801 posts, read 1,512,771 times
Barcelona probably.

Los Angeles > Seattle, by the way.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:58 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,795,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Finland is mostly unknown and a bit far from the bigger tourism destinations. Another thing that goes against it is the fact that northern europe is generally more expensive than the rest of the continent.

Marseille rules as a tourism destination and it's just starting to be noticed. Hopefully I'll make it to Helsinki in this decade.
The price level doesn't stop people from traveling to the UK, Ireland, Netherlands or Belgium. Or Paris.

But otherwise you're right. Helsinki is overshadowed by Stockholm and Copenhagen, which I really don't see any reason why, though I'm not totally neutral on this subject. Luckily tourism is on the rise, especially from Asia.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:11 AM

1,349 posts, read 663,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
I'd say Helsinki belongs top 10, for this reason: I have never, ever been to or heard of an major urban center anywhere else on the planet with so much forest/greenery immediately inside and surrounding it. It is truly mind blowing for those who haven't seen it. Maybe not grandiose in the vein of these other places, but stunning nonetheless. I think my conclusion though, is that while there are many significantly sized cities in Europe with outstanding landscapes, Nice probably wins. The fact that within 60 miles, one can get to outstanding vineyards, the Alps, gorgeous coastline, and geologic features like Verdon Gorge, helps it to win out for me.
This !

It is the reason why I moved here (I'm originally from the north). I have never visited a sizeable town where in less then an hour, sometimes only minutes, you can ski in the biggest alps stations, drink wine in Provence, bike and see the wolves in mercantour and of course the beautiful sea, not to mention the sunniest weather in France.

And let's not forget you can go visit italian open markets in less than 20 minutes, I do it every other sunday morning

Old 08-12-2017, 02:45 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,286,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
The price level doesn't stop people from traveling to the UK, Ireland, Netherlands or Belgium. Or Paris.

But otherwise you're right. Helsinki is overshadowed by Stockholm and Copenhagen, which I really don't see any reason why, though I'm not totally neutral on this subject. Luckily tourism is on the rise, especially from Asia.
Sure yeah, Paris or London are hella expensive, but I found a solution: I don't go there

That said, I remember packing a trip which was Croatia->Bosnia->Serbia->Greece for 3 weeks a few years ago, all apartments and bus trips, and we paid probably around 1,300 € for 2 people, food included. Not sure you can find cheaper in Europe.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:13 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,879,495 times
Lucern has beautiful setting with lake and alpine mountain. Not sure if it is big enough to consider a major city.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:56 PM

957 posts, read 1,132,660 times
Schaffhausen is not really a major city but it deserves mention because of its falls wich are imho a magical feature

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe