Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 12:56 PM

4,213 posts, read 4,737,906 times

Advertisements

It looks like I may be in Europe for 2 weeks starting early October...this would be for a vacation. It would end up being 16 days in Europe total, not including the days I travel in and out of Europe.

I originally was going to spend the entire time in Portugal but I find myself wanting to see more. I visited Lisbon for 4 days last December with a day trip to Sintra and left wanting to see so much more of Portugal.

Right now I'm thinking I should try to fit in two other cities outside of Portugal while gone. Last December I ended up seeing 7 cities across 18 days in Europe. Crazzzy busy when I look back on all of the running around I did but every time I think about 'only' doing one country I start to feel like I'm losing out since right now I'm only able to afford to travel to Europe once a year.

So anywho, right now I'm considering doing:

Dublin > (unknown city) > Portugal

Breakdown would be something like this:
2-3 days Dublin
2-3 days (unknown city)
10-12 days Portugal (2 days Algarve, 4-5 days Lisbon, 4-5 days Porto)

Helpful info:
-Places I have gone before and just prefer not to see again on this particular trip: Spain, Paris, Rome/Naples/Capri, London, Vienna. If you feel you have a strong argument for going back to any of these places, name your city and state your case

-Things I like: Food, photography (I love getting pics/vids of architecture and the environment), excellent food, beaches (would *love* to get in the water-I won't be able to do this in the Algarve...but it is not mandatory I go to an island or a place with a beach), beautiful environments, street art, nightlife. I'm really open to the type of city and could do a leisurely or more busy type of agenda while there. Would be good to bring some sort of contrast to the things I'll be experiencing in Dublin and Portugal. Did I mention I travel to eat because I love food?

Things to keep in mind:
-I need to fly straight into (unknown city) from Dublin and straight from there to Portugal - I'm traveling too much to have layovers.

-I'd like to keep the flight to (unknown city) 'from' Dublin and 'to' Portugal under 4 hours both ways if possible.

-Since we're talking 2-3 days in this city, a place where I can be centrally located without dropping a ton of $$$ on accommodations and that has good transit would be good so that I can get around easily and inexpensively.

-FYI, the Dublin stay will be 1-2 planned items and just eating, wandering around, checking out bars the rest of the time. The Portugal stay will be very leisurely obviously in Algarve as well as in Porto. Lisbon will be busier seeing a few more touristy things I didn't get to see last time and possibly fitting in an evening or two of checking out the nightlife while there. I'm a 38 year old single female traveling solo.

Cities I've started tossing around in my head:
-Berlin
-Marseille
-Budapest
-Nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 01:52 PM

810 posts, read 666,913 times
Curious as to why you picked Dublin. IMO it's a very nice city but may pale in comparison to the traditional European heavyweights, many of which you've listed already. It's also on the east coast of an island whose natural beauty is featured on the west coast. I say see more of beautiful Ireland and make the 2nd stop either Shannon or Cork.

Last edited by tailsock; 08-10-2017 at 02:41 PM..

Old 08-10-2017, 02:00 PM

197 posts, read 114,287 times
I suggest to pick any of these Spanish cities: San Sebastian, Valladolid, Burgos, Salamanca, Seville or Granada. They are all drop dead gorgeous and can be done in only 2 days (the most visited two cities in Spain are Barcelona and Madrid - but they are far bigger and demand more time even for a casual visit).

Old 08-10-2017, 02:22 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,683,480 times
You can try Lyon, it's a great city

Old 08-10-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
Curious as to why you picked Dublin. IMO it's a very nice city but may pale in comparison to the traditional European heavyweights, many of which you've listed already. It's also on the east coast of an island whose natural beauty is featured on the west coast. I say see more of beautiful Ireland and make the 2nd stop either Shannon or Cork.

I picked Dublin because it's quick to get to

And since I'd only be there 2 days I figured that would be enough time there for the purpose of just 1-2 touristy things and 'hanging out' the rest of the time.

I could do 1 day in Dublin and the other seeing another part of Ireland...

Old 08-11-2017, 09:15 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,960,636 times
I see your reasons for choosing Dublin, and though it may not compare to London, Paris, Rome, etc. it is a wonderful, vibrant city and can be done pretty quickly. There are enough things to do and see including excellent theater, music in pubs, besides seeing the Book of Kells. And the Irish people supply much of the charm and hospitality that make Dublin so attractive.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:21 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
If you want to swim outside in October, you're down to few choices...

Old 08-11-2017, 12:21 PM

Location: San Diego via Orange County via Toronto via Rome Italy
390 posts, read 794,926 times
While I see your "4 hour flight" window . . .as a transportation engineer I can't help but think of a more efficient itinerary with cities "on the way" between Dublin and Lisbon. So for me it would be down to San Sebastian or Porto

San Sebastian - you said you preferred not to visit Spain on this trip, but don't know if you got up to that corner of that huge country. I personally have not been but a well travelled friend absolutely raved about it.

Having said that, Porto would be my first choice. We visited Porto, Lisbon and the Algarve in 2014 (and quite a few smaller places in Portugal) and Porto definitely has a different vibe from Lisbon and is well worth seeing. Plus I hear that since 2014 it's become even more of a happening place and is giving Lisbon a run for its money.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:26 PM

Location: San Diego via Orange County via Toronto via Rome Italy
390 posts, read 794,926 times
p,s.

Porto vs. Lisbon: 8 reasons Porto is cooler - CNN | CNN Travel

Old 08-11-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschibuola View Post
While I see your "4 hour flight" window . . .as a transportation engineer I can't help but think of a more efficient itinerary with cities "on the way" between Dublin and Lisbon. So for me it would be down to San Sebastian or Porto

San Sebastian - you said you preferred not to visit Spain on this trip, but don't know if you got up to that corner of that huge country. I personally have not been but a well travelled friend absolutely raved about it.

Having said that, Porto would be my first choice. We visited Porto, Lisbon and the Algarve in 2014 (and quite a few smaller places in Portugal) and Porto definitely has a different vibe from Lisbon and is well worth seeing. Plus I hear that since 2014 it's become even more of a happening place and is giving Lisbon a run for its money.
I will look into San Sebastian...I actually had someone PM really pushing for Spain.

I just wanted to try another new country this time altogether (not just a new city).

But I will consider it...let me think about the pros of going. Basically it would be on the way which is a huge huge plus I know.

I'm already doing Porto...I posted my itinerary in the original post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe