Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 02:21 AM

505 posts, read 392,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Is there any evidence to suggest that the Catalan élites who support language laws send their kids to private schools where little Catalan is taught?

It's funny because this is a popular urban legend in Canada too: that Québécois élites all or mostly send their kids to English language private schools. Which is totally false in our case anyway.

Not only that, the same politicians brag about it, so ex-president Mas sends his kids to a private, very expensive three language school, ex-president Montilla to a very expensive German school and all the elites send their children to private schools.

Here there are three tiers:
Public schools, that are subject to "immersion laws". No nationslidt politician send their kids there.
Concertada school, private but receive public funds, also subject to immersion laws but somewhat more exposure to foreign languages.
Privare schools: Not subject to immersion laws, Catalan is taught but as any other subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 02:22 AM

Quote:
The law has been in place since 1977, so presumably any one who has a problem with their kids going to public school in French can simply make the choice not to immigrate to Quebec, no?

If I move to Berlin, Stockholm, Tokyo or Rio de Janeiro, I don't have the option to send my kids to free public school in English (or French), do I?

But English is official and useful, not useless. You can't force immigrants to learn a useless language just because they are immigrants, and allow Anglo Canadians to be taught in English. That's inhuman.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:24 AM

Quote:
English is not an immigrant language in Quebec. It's an official language equal to French at the federal level and a major secondary language for almost any service in Quebec even if this province is officially French first. As I've already mentioned it also has parallel services networks in Quebec in health, education, social services, etc.

On paper.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:28 AM

Quote:
If we backtrack, she asked if you thought that French Canadians trashed their own economy.

You answered "yes".

While many French Canadians worked in that economy, it wasn't "theirs", so to speak. They almost always occupied the lower rungs of that economy. And certainly didn't have ownership of it. That's precisely what they wanted to change.

But that's idiotic, a marxist approach. It won't work.
And Anglo Canadians are Canadians, with that frame of mind your country will end up in a civil war as tyhere were in the past.
At least we don't have that frame of mind.

Last edited by farinello; 09-13-2017 at 02:47 AM..

Old 09-13-2017, 02:31 AM

Quote:
This is absurd. I and millions of other people in Quebec deal with people every single day who are from other Francophonie countries and there is no problem communicating. Yes, there are very noticeable differences but they are not significantly different than the varieties on English in the U.S. vs. the varieties of English in the U.K.

You hear this comment from time to time as if it's linguistic analysis of some type but really it's just an attempt to discredit and disrespect.

American English can be understood better by Europeans and even British than some British dialects.
Canadian French is barely understandable by French.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:34 AM

Quote:
The law has been in place since 1977, so presumably any one who has a problem with their kids going to public school in French can simply make the choice not to immigrate to Quebec, no?

If I move to Berlin, Stockholm, Tokyo or Rio de Janeiro, I don't have the option to send my kids to free public school in English (or French), do I?

You are not a nation, no country but Canada. Immigrant kids are not guilty that you lost a war.
Just like here, but here the "lost war" is false, 11 september 1715.

Last edited by farinello; 09-13-2017 at 02:48 AM..

Old 09-13-2017, 02:42 AM

Quote:
I am not a fan of the guy who said that or of what he said, but the outrage was a bit over the top when you consider that prior to the vote, leaders of those communities said very publicly "all Jews must vote Non", "all Italians must vote Non", "all Greeks must vote Non", etc.

And then he simply points that out and all of a sudden he's worse than Hilter.

So what?
Don't they have the right to vote for whatever they seem fit without being accused and slandered?
The defeat of NON, according to fervent separatist, was provoked by "l'argent - Jewish....
How could they say that? How could they accuse non-French Canadians as if they were enemies in their countries?

Old 09-13-2017, 03:44 AM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farinello View Post
But English is official and useful, not useless. You can't force immigrants to learn a useless language just because they are immigrants, and allow Anglo Canadians to be taught in English. That's inhuman.
How is that useless in a predominently-French speaking province ?

If I found a job in Norway, I'd very much certainly learn norwegian to live there, even if only 5 million people speak it and it's useless outside of the country.

Lol @ "inhuman"

Old 09-13-2017, 06:05 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
French is useless? What kind of idiotic argument is that?

No, you can't force children to learn French. But the Quebec government has the right not to provide free English education to immigrant children when the province's only official language is French. It is forcing French speaking Canadians to pay for making themselves and their children to become a linguistic and culture minority, why would they agree to do that?

Anyone can go to English schools in Quebec, just go to a private one, not at the expense of French speaking taxpayers. That's fair.

Canada is big. If one does't plan to speak and use French, don't go to Quebec. Canada is officially bilingual, but Quebec is not.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:07 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
You are not a nation, no country but Canada. Immigrant kids are not guilty that you lost a war.
Just like here, but here the "lost war" is false, 11 september 1715.
Except Canada recognizes Quebec as a nation.

Losing a war has nothing to do with it. Quebec is French, and if you don't plan to speak French, don't go there. Stop whining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe