Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 02:22 AM

14,808 posts, read 11,877,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snilsson View Post
The NFL is the cool, new hipster-ish sport to follow among swedish youths.
I see a lot of Broncos and Patroits hats on the streets as well.
Perhaps they should play games in Sweden instead of London or Germany then, after all I don't think the Swedes have rugby do they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 04:53 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,174,688 times
I think gridiron football's appeal in most of Europe is its esoteric nature. Like many niche sports, it takes a while to grasp what exactly is going on and gets more interesting (arguably) the more one learns about its nuances.

People who understand rugby can grasp how it is derived from more common sports, but for many, it is a mystery (a boring one at face value )

Once that mystery is dissolved, the sport will sink or swim from the standpoint of spectator popularity, I believe.

I do find it far more interesting that it has become a relatively popular club sport for high school aged youth in Germany and Scandinavia, while it is being promoted chiefly as a spectator sport in what might think is the more fertile ground of England, where its roots lie.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:01 PM

4,357 posts, read 4,190,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
no.

and please stop calling it "football".
What else do you expect people to call it?

Old 10-05-2017, 05:57 AM

26,876 posts, read 13,094,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I think gridiron football's appeal in most of Europe is its esoteric nature. Like many niche sports, it takes a while to grasp what exactly is going on and gets more interesting (arguably) the more one learns about its nuances.

People who understand rugby can grasp how it is derived from more common sports, but for many, it is a mystery (a boring one at face value )

Once that mystery is dissolved, the sport will sink or swim from the standpoint of spectator popularity, I believe.

I do find it far more interesting that it has become a relatively popular club sport for high school aged youth in Germany and Scandinavia, while it is being promoted chiefly as a spectator sport in what might think is the more fertile ground of England, where its roots lie.
Rugby is very popular in many parts of Europe, and the six nations is one of the most important fixtures. The Six Nations being made up of the Home Nations of England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland along with France and Italy.

Rugby is also very popular in countries such as New Zealand (All Blacks), Australia, South Africa and numerous other countries, and there is a Rugby World Cup.

Even Rugby League a slightly different game to Rugby Union has international competitions and is popular in different parts of the world.

As for being boring, Rugby is possible the least boring sport, with lots of play and lots of excitement.

Homepage | 2018 Championship : Six Nations Championship

World Rugby (Union)

Rugby World Cup 2019

RLIF - Rugby League International Federation

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-05-2017 at 06:11 AM..

Old 10-05-2017, 08:19 AM

222 posts, read 341,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snilsson View Post
The NFL is the cool, new hipster-ish sport to follow among swedish youths.
I see a lot of Broncos and Patroits hats on the streets as well.
American Football has been at that same cool hipster stage in Scandinavia for about 30 years now. The merchandise too. I remember PA Gullö hosting a show about this sport on TV3 back in the late 1980s. A small but dedicated group of fans live under the sports radar for a year, only to show up around Super Bowl when they host parties in the middle of the night.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:05 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,174,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Rugby is very popular in many parts of Europe, and the six nations is one of the most important fixtures. The Six Nations being made up of the Home Nations of England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland along with France and Italy.

Rugby is also very popular in countries such as New Zealand (All Blacks), Australia, South Africa and numerous other countries, and there is a Rugby World Cup.

Even Rugby League a slightly different game to Rugby Union has international competitions and is popular in different parts of the world.

As for being boring, Rugby is possible the least boring sport, with lots of play and lots of excitement.
You misunderstood me. I meant American gridiron football is often considered boring.

I wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
People who understand rugby can grasp how it is derived from more common sports, but for many, it is a mystery (a boring one at face value)
Better phrased would be, "People who understand rugby can grasp how American gridiron football is derived from more common sports (i.e. rugby), but for many, it (the appeal of American gridiron football) is a mystery (a boring one at face value)."

For what its worth, Rugby has a pretty strong club following in the US, too. I think there are 6 adult teams (including the women's) in my comparatively small, backwater American city.

Last edited by ABQConvict; 10-05-2017 at 01:39 PM..

Old 10-05-2017, 10:53 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,092,111 times
Anyone immature enough to call American football boring is ignorant enough not to understand how someone who didn't grow up playing soccer is a bunch of dudes sprinting around a field for a couple hours just to get to a 1-0 score while rabid fans beat the hell out of each other.
I used to hate soccer, but since getting heavy into basketball, I've come to see many similarities between the sports. I actually got interested in the Real Madrid and FC Barcelona match in mid-August. I would love to see a match one day and be able to sing with the fans.
It would be less embarrassing for those calling it boring and stupid to admit they don't understand the strategy of the sport because they didn't grow up watching it just like many Americans and soccer.

Grow up and appreciate other cultures.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:17 AM

222 posts, read 341,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Anyone immature enough to call American football boring is ignorant enough not to understand how someone who didn't grow up playing soccer is a bunch of dudes sprinting around a field for a couple hours just to get to a 1-0 score while rabid fans beat the hell out of each other.
You don't need to be ignorant or immature to find American football boring. It's about personal taste and preference. Even in Europe there are many people who can't stand soccer.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:16 AM

957 posts, read 1,124,347 times
No at all
as s teen I tried to watch baseball and football but got bored asap
football doesn't even look like a sport but rather a show

Old 10-06-2017, 09:44 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,223,088 times
i think people enjoy what they grow up with, although I really do enjoy Basketball and Hockey while Baseball and American football do not appeal to me.

I still think Rugby is the king of sports though, but I always watched it since I was a kid and my grandpa used to play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe