Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2017, 10:12 AM

505 posts, read 392,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
One of these pictures was used to force open European borders to terrorists, while the other one will be banned to keep them open.

https://twitter.com/navyhato

Please, a little bit of shame and decency. Remove the picture of the victim, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 10:21 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,045 times
Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Canada reduced its refugee acceptance rate by 27% in 2017. In the meantime, the US State Department lifted its cap on the number of refugees the US would accept in 2017. Words, actions and all that stuff....
Sure ..... that is why we continue to have surges in the number asylum seekers at Canadian Boarders coming from the USA. Regardless ... this not about either of our countries. This thread is suppose to be about Barcelona.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Do you still have contact with those Christian Middle East family members? Do you know what they think about all of this?

I also have pretty close ties with Christian Middle Easterners in two countries so I have a pretty good idea.

Lots of them are already dead. Some are in Lebanon trying to figure out where to go. Lebanon has too many refugees now. I don't have regular direct contact with them as I don't speak Arabic. My uncle that lives in the USA was actually just recently there. He is in his 70s and for some crazy reason risked his life to get back in to Syria to visit his brother and other family there. I have not spoke to him as of yet. Not everyone in that Region has the same experiences. I have talked to many different people with different views on this. Some support Asad... some express thanks to other countries to help fight again ISIS. Bottom line they are scared and displaced or already dead. No one from anywhere consistently holds the same opinions on a topic.

The idea that anyone is trying to hint that one group of people that follow a certain religion or are from certain places it just absolute garbage. All humans from anywhere following any faith are capable to doing horroric and heroic things.

All I am getting from reading all that is being said in these threads is I don't want to be a person full of hate for anyone or anything and I need to remember that with my own day to day actions.

Hate leads to hate which leads to what is going on in the world right now.

People can choose to feed in to it and be part of the problem or they can choose to turn the other cheek, continue to do the right thing and continue to try to respect and work out conflicts peacefully.

If you live your life trying to be a decent, fair and just person .... then what comes after you do die should not be anything worth worrying about right?

Old 08-18-2017, 10:39 AM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Lots of them are. Lots of them aren't.

This is from PEW in 2017 and it's insane. That's a whole friggin bunch of people (millions) who think blowing up innocents just might be a good idea.

What you are saying makes no sense and just actually cancels the point out.

The same could be said about opinions on anything....

ex lost of American are racist and lost are not.

Lots of Americans think it would be okay to just drop a bomb on people in Iraq while lots think if would be a bad idea.

No matter what the issue is there are going to be people in favour of both sides.

So is it fair to just assume that all people think a certain way?

Despite improved communication most people dont actually know that much about other cultures and religions still.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:48 AM

Default .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Well my family is Lebanese and we left our family home in Beirut during the civil war in 1981. Obviously we know a lot of Lebanese people as we as many others in the Coptic, Iraqi, Syrian and Palestinian Christian community. This notion that the Christians and Muslims lived in peace is beyond nonsense. If you are wondering what the Christians in the Middle East think of Muslims, we lets say its not very PC and leave it at that.
Not all Christians had the same experience sorry. I know what you are saying has truth to it... but it is not everyone's experience. And bottom line REAL religious people fear god and they don't go around killing people. There is no honour in that.

Also some families are have evolved are not so polarized any more. People have inter married and they have freinds that are not of the same faith. In any case I think fanatics in either group that like to run their mouths, provoke conflict and fight with people rather then trying to build bridges and be respectful are the problem all over the world.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:49 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,714,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citoyen View Post
Muslims aren't peacefull people, they just now they can't win a war and that anyway they can get everything they want without fighting due to leftists who betray their nations to help islamists.
The Muslims are not peaceful people? How do you know? Do you know the few middle east countries only represent about 18% of world Muslim population?

Those people are not peaceful because their countries are torn by wars, largely incited by western countries. Extreme poverty and loss of everything easily gives rise of religious extremism. Spain is just collateral damage as it played no/little role in it. France on the other, still shows no qualm to intervene if something happens in Chad or Niger as if those countries are still their colonies.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:50 AM

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Europe should tighten laws up against these people.
Who are these people?

If they actually knew they would?

Old 08-18-2017, 10:53 AM

Default ........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cent0089 View Post
I am sure that families of victims now blaming someone for what happened, maybe Merkel, maybe other politicans, maybe muslims. Tell them that they are dumb haters, huh man?
Running around blaming people other then the people who actually committed these crimes wont change what happend.
It is not my place or anyone else's place to be shoving opinions in the face of anyone who is greiving.

Childish responses to serious issues don't really help anything.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:56 AM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
One minute of silence happening in Barelona right now, I'm sure it'll help eradicate terrorism (NOT)
No but it will help the city, its people and and all those who value human life heal and know we are standing together. We are not scared. This wont break us and that peace and love will over come hate!

Old 08-18-2017, 11:01 AM

26,865 posts, read 37,990,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Well my family is Lebanese and we left our family home in Beirut during the civil war in 1981. Obviously we know a lot of Lebanese people as we as many others in the Coptic, Iraqi, Syrian and Palestinian Christian community. This notion that the Christians and Muslims lived in peace is beyond nonsense. If you are wondering what the Christians in the Middle East think of Muslims, we lets say its not very PC and leave it at that.
I have very close long-standing personal ties to the Christian communities in two of the countries you mentioned, and also some more recent ties to a third.

My impression is that views have hardened in recent years. At least for those who'd lived in Canada for a while, most Arab Christians were fairly quick to defend Muslims against Islamophobia when I was younger. It was very noticeable to me.

Now, even the Canadianized ones who were once the most moderate have now adopted a much harder stance.

Add to them the new arrivals that I know and who've been directly exposed to events in the Middle East over the past 10-15-20 years, and the views are harder still.

The wider entourage I am talking about probably encompasses close to 100 people. I don't know anyone in there at the moment who is of of adult age and who will play the devil's advocate and counter that "Islam is actually a religion of peace" or "only a small fraction of Muslims are extremists".

OK, maybe their kids who are teenagers who go to school in a diverse environment and have Muslim friends. (As my kids do too.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe