Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 06:28 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times

Advertisements

I'm 67 now and own property in a high-value area of the US. In 3 years when I'm 70, partly because of idiot Kim in North Korea and the likelihood he will launch nuclear warheads at the US before we do anything to stop him, but also because I just think it is a better environment to grow old in without these ridiculous restrictions on prescription painkillers, which nearly all old people will have to utilize in old age but which are going to be refused them because of these ridiculous restrictions on prescription painkillers (and they're only going to get worse, believe me).

So after selling my property and paying capital gains taxes I'll have one million or a little more left over to grow old and die on. So how far can a million dollars go in Belgium. What would I be spending per year for 10 years to sustain a comfortable lifestyle in a nice 3 bedroom, 2 bath apartment and moderate dining out/eating in, housekeeper, healthcare? This would be for two people, myself and my wife. Mathematically it works out to about 100,000 Euro per year, no taxes. Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 08-24-2017 at 07:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 08:24 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
Just a side note but have you thought about what paths, if any, are open to you in terms of immigrating to Belgium or elsewhere in the EU? Do and/or your wife hold Belgian citizenship?

Old 08-24-2017, 10:38 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Just a side note but have you thought about what paths, if any, are open to you in terms of immigrating to Belgium or elsewhere in the EU? Do and/or your wife hold Belgian citizenship?
No, we don't and unfortunately we just don't have the time to jump through the hoops. Best to just retire to a nice apartment in our favorite city of Brussels, but I hear it's very expensive there.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:43 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
No, we don't and unfortunately we just don't have the time to jump through the hoops. Best to just retire to a nice apartment in our favorite city of Brussels, but I hear it's very expensive there.
Well immigration is something that you would have to deal with. There are a number of countries you could easily immigrate to simply by virtue of being an American retiree, but Belgium is not one of them. The problem with many of those other countries is that they lack good health care by US standards.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:12 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,685,058 times
Quote:
I'm 67 now and own property in a high-value area of the US. In 3 years when I'm 70, partly because of idiot Kim in North Korea and the likelihood he will launch nuclear warheads at the US before we do anything to stop him, but also because I just think it is a better environment to grow old in without these ridiculous restrictions on prescription painkillers, which nearly all old people will have to utilize in old age but which are going to be refused them because of these ridiculous restrictions on prescription painkillers (and they're only going to get worse, believe me).

So after selling my property and paying capital gains taxes I'll have one million or a little more left over to grow old and die on. So how far can a million dollars go in Belgium. What would I be spending per year for 10 years to sustain a comfortable lifestyle in a nice 3 bedroom, 2 bath apartment and moderate dining out/eating in, housekeeper, healthcare? This would be for two people, myself and my wife. Mathematically it works out to about 100,000 Euro per year, no taxes. Any help greatly appreciated.
Depends where you live.
In the countryside you can maybe die with your money but still,
In cities you ll have lower your expectations lol.
Belgium is rich. Specially on the flamish side (the best). It's Audi's and BMW's land.
You ll have say 850/900 000 euros.
If you buy a 300k euros house in a great place (very optimistic) and live 20 years more thanks to the healthcare system, thats 27500 per year for two. It's low in Belgium... But you can live.
Why not Spain? Healthcare is better, weather too as well as price of life lol

Old 08-25-2017, 04:53 AM

502 posts, read 655,194 times
in Spain (and some other EU countries) you get a "Golden Visa" if you buy a property of more than 500K euros. That would leave you will about 400K euros more to spend. A couple that owns a house can comfortably live in Spain (especially outside big cities) for 50k or less...

For Belgium there is no such thing as a Golden Visa, so you would have to sort out the immigration situation. I guess if you prove that you have enough means to live, they will give you some kind of temporary permit. As for 100k per year, it is a very comfortable living in Belgium. Housing (including bills/etc) in a good house or apartment for 2 people could be something between 20K and 30K per year, say 2-3K per year for Healthcare and insurances (high-end ones), you'll still have 60K per year for spending money.

But I would go to Spain instead, yep, better quality of life, better Healthcare, cheaper costs of food and restaurants... And Brussels is just a 2-hours plane away in case you want to visit.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:38 AM

400 posts, read 292,773 times
Don't you have retirement salary? Why would you spend your saved money if you have retirement salary?

Old 08-25-2017, 11:29 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,907,920 times
Come on! thrillobyte, you must know that you can't just fly to a foreign country and take up residence. You need to sort out the immigration aspect first or it will all end in tears. It may be a tedious time-consuming pile of paperwork but you just have to do it.
In any case the chances of Kim nuking the US are zero. He knows it would be national suicide. It's all hot air. You are in greater danger crossing the road.
As for painkillers, can't you just get them from Canada?

Old 08-26-2017, 07:02 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,272,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selen View Post
Don't you have retirement salary? Why would you spend your saved money if you have retirement salary?
And what about healthcare...older folks need more healthcare, could be expensive,
unless you are very rich, moving to Belgium from USA, not a good idea imo.

Rich celebrities, like George Clooney...Italy, Shania Twain...Switzerland,
can move to Europe, no problem, both have net worths in the $400 million range,
$ 1 million is not much these days.

Old 08-26-2017, 04:33 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
What would I be spending per year for 10 years to sustain a comfortable lifestyle in a nice 3 bedroom, 2 bath apartment
You fall on the first step. It's you and your wife moving. Why on Earth do you want 3 bedrooms and 2 baths? Americans usually want 9000000000000000000000000000000 rooms and 100000000000000000000000000 baths, but can never explain why that is.

When in Rome, do like the Romans do.
With a million dollars you will survive until you're 160. And why? Because there in Belgium they live a comfortable life, spending money on experiences instead of an extra bath.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe