Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 01:22 AM

8,863 posts, read 8,435,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Actually, these are valid points. OP, it's easy to collect languages, if you choose ones that are closely related. So learning all the main languages in the Romance or Germanic families isn't that big a deal, even for an American with a bit of linguistic ability. From there, branching out to other European languages isn't difficult, once you have a few under your belt. Botticelli's right that the real test comes in branching out further, to non-Indo-European languages. Even Farsi shouldn't be difficult, because it's related to the Indo-European language family.

IMO, the Native American languages are among the world's most difficult. I hear the languages of Papua-New Guinea are extremely complex, too, due to eons of isolation.
No, those are not valid points. Indo-European family is extremely broad, just because two languages are in the same family doesn't mean it's easy to learn them. It's incredibly ignorant and egotistical to claim so.

To diss language acquisition is easy, and those who do so are usually full of ****.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 01:42 AM

102,186 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
No, those are not valid points. Indo-European family is extremely broad, just because two languages are in the same family doesn't mean it's easy to learn them. It's incredibly ignorant and egotistical to claim so.

To diss language acquisition is easy, and those who do so are usually full of ****.
Botticelli's point was that it's easy for Romance language speakers to learn other closely-related languages. That's a good point. My point re: Farsi was that learning that would be easier for someone with other Indo-Euro languages in their experience than tackling most Asian languages. One would encounter recognizable word roots, for one thing. Whether the grammar would be very challenging, or not so much, would depend on which European language family one had experience with. The Romance language family isn't helpful, with the exception of Romanian, in understanding and learning noun declensions, whereas German and especially the Slavic languages (which are much more closely related to Farsi) are.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:23 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,123,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
You see... I speak several. Started to learn in kindergarten. I am also from Europe - that explains it... and it's pretty normal here.
It's funny, as an American who lives in Germany and speaks German quite well I always hear "wow you German is really good..." but if you are some other European Dutch, Polish, Czech or whatever no one notices, it's normal. (well except for the English)

Though now after 17 years people now say I have a German accent when I speak English :-D

Old 09-12-2017, 05:58 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
I imagine you can speak 7 languages to belittle language Learning so easily.
Sorry, but I have to sort of agree with Botticelli and Ruth4Truth on this one.

I did French and Latin in grade school, then Italian, Portuguese and Spanish. And at one point or another, and even at the same time, I used them all professionally and made money, except Latin, but I did use it in graduate studies.

Sure, it takes some natural aptitude, desire and the discipline to study - nothing to belittle -, but it's not really some great achievement.

I also learned ancient Attic and koine Greek, as well as a bit of katharevousa and modern Greek, which I consider much more valuable.

If I could do it all over again, I would ditch Latin and the Romance languages completely and pursue instead Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, maybe Pali, Farsi or Persian, Turkish, Russian, Coptic or some horn of Africa language.

But of course I say that with my mouth.

Good Luck!

To the OP, historically Europe's monarchs are an incestuous bunch; you can take that in more ways than one.

Last edited by bale002; 09-12-2017 at 06:16 AM..

Old 09-12-2017, 08:40 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:

Cool down boy, nobody is dissing languages acquisition. I was just pointing out learning 8 similar European language for a westerner is as difficult as learning Chinese plus Arabic. So the usual 7 language is still good but hardly as impressive as it sounds.

Don't believe me? Here is my source

Language Difficulty Ranking | Effective Language Learning

To make it short while it takes 575-600 hours for an English speaker to be fluent in French Italian Spanish Danish plus a whole bunch of EU language, Chinese, Arabic, Korean, Japanese require 2200 hours.

But I know you being you are always desperate to attack whatever I Say so I normally ignore your childish gibberish full of uncontrollable "***".

Old 09-13-2017, 10:13 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,887,778 times
It depends on what you mean with learning then: reading? Be understandable?
Because it all gets to it: I have heard countless foreigners claiming that they "spoke Italian" and none of them could better than a 12 years old or get the intonation right, for example.
Even some famous polyglots on yt ( I don't remember their names, they were a bald English guy and an American teenager respectively) boasting both over 10 languages were barely acceptable in terms of pronounciation ( and we are talking about Italian, not Arabic); so the point stands: what do you mean with "learning/speaking/knowing" a language? To what extent is it "accomplished"?
I can understand most Spanish writing and even listening but I can hardly speak it and since Anglophones are quite known for flaunting supposed knowledge ( I remember here Brits saying that French "is widely spoken in the UK" lol), my question was that.

Old 09-15-2017, 01:26 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
It's funny, as an American who lives in Germany and speaks German quite well I always hear "wow you German is really good..." but if you are some other European Dutch, Polish, Czech or whatever no one notices, it's normal. (well except for the English)

Though now after 17 years people now say I have a German accent when I speak English :-D
Probably because people from the UK and the USA speak the world's most prominent language. So there is less incentive to learn another language.

People from those other countries speak languages that are not so widely used. Plus Germany is nearby and the economic engine of Europe.

I studied in Germany for a year and my German became quite good. It has faded since as I cannot simply hop over there like those in the Netherlands, Poland, or Czech. I use it a bit in my work but only to read the occasional document.

I probably sound like Latka in Taxi if that rings a bell.

Old 09-15-2017, 01:33 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Quote:

I would agree, it is not a valid point, I actually think learning two languages that are similar would be harder than learning two more distinct languages, because you would have to work harder on keeping them apart.

I also agree that speaking & reading are very separate issues, I can read some French but not speak it. I can speak conversational German but would not be so good at writing it.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:49 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I would agree, it is not a valid point, I actually think learning two languages that are similar would be harder than learning two more distinct languages, because you would have to work harder on keeping them apart.

I also agree that speaking & reading are very separate issues, I can read some French but not speak it. I can speak conversational German but would not be so good at writing it.
yeah, learning Chinese is more difficult than Spanish after you learn French, LOL.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:58 AM

990 posts, read 878,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I read on Wikipedia that Europe's monarchs (at least those on the Continent) can speak multiple languages. Sophia, Spain's former queen, can speak seven. Where did they learn to speak so many?
I am not sure today how it works in modern monarchies, but in the past they married with royal families of others countries and it helps. I remember in Brazil Don Joao married a Spanish, Don Pedro I an Austrian and Don Pedro II an Italian, after the last we became Republican country.

They have a lot of time, personal teachers and travel abroad a lot so having opportunity of training/learning, this combination are only possible with much money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe